Body Glove Case size vs. others

Bradyj

Reaction score
I am in the market for a new case. I have to Body Glove giant case because it was the only one I could find that didn't black the top row of keys on the keyboard. My question is size wise how does it compare to the Seidio Active case? I like the Seidio surface case but it doesn't look like it would prevent the phone from breaking if you drop it. I've already lost 1 screen. Also how much bigger is the Otterbox case compared to the body glove case? Thanks.

bobstro

Reaction score
The Seido is definitely thinner. My Body Glove case broke after a couple of days, so protection is relative. I don't think either would allow the phone to survive a vicious drop onto concrete, but it provides some protection against routine bumps and drops.

OP
B

Bradyj

Reaction score
Thanks bobstro. Just to be clear you have the Seidio Active case?

bobstro

Reaction score

Syko

Reaction score
I am in the market for a new case. I have to Body Glove giant case because it was the only one I could find that didn't black the top row of keys on the keyboard. My question is size wise how does it compare to the Seidio Active case? I like the Seidio surface case but it doesn't look like it would prevent the phone from breaking if you drop it. I've already lost 1 screen. Also how much bigger is the Otterbox case compared to the body glove case? Thanks.

This might be helpful: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...tterbox-commuter-case-review.html#post1237990

He got to laugh at me because his case didn't break. I've since bought this combo:

Amazon.com: Superior Rubberized Hard Shell Case w/ Holster for Motorola DROID 2 A955: Electronics

It's probably about the same in terms of protection, though in hindsight, I prefer the Seido.

Be careful with that combo case. If you look on the back left side of the speaker area near the camera button you will see how thin the case is in that area. I've had 2 of my co-workers break theirs in that exact spot so take care especially when taking the back off.

OP
B

Bradyj

Reaction score
Thanks Syko. I have seen the otterbox reviews but nobody really talks about the size of the thing. Or at least not compared to my case. Your video really helped though because i was able to see the actual size.

bobstro

Reaction score
Nice links, Syco. I see your point about the thin spot in the case between the speaker and camera button. So far, I've used it for a few months with no problems, including having removed and reinstalled it a couple dozen times. I'll be sure to avoid stressing those points though.

The combo case does also block the top row of keys, though only a bit.

IMO, anything beats the blasted Body Glove case. I've read that the Otter Box leaves one corner loose, which some reviewers didn't like. Is that the cause of the clicking noise?

- Bob

Syko

Reaction score
I've read that the Otter Box leaves one corner loose, which some reviewers didn't like. Is that the cause of the clicking noise?

- Bob

Kinda.

Take a look at your combo case from Verizon. If you look at the top & bottom of the front face bezel you can see they put fastening clips to hold it on.

2 on the top:
VerizonCase1.jpg

2 on the bottom:
VerizonCase2.jpg

These clips hold that front bezel on pretty snug. OtterBox should have taken cues from this when designing theirs.

The OtterBox case front face bezel also has 4 fastening clips. However, these are different. 2 on the non keyboard side and one larger one on top & bottom.
OtterBoxCase1.jpg

When you flip it over and look at the front, the clips are located where the arrows point in the next pic.

OtterBoxCase2.jpg

It seems that in order to recess the area where our thumbs are they couldn't put the fasteners on the keyboard side. However, by putting the top & bottom clips closer to the non-keyboard side, they allowed the front bezel to feel loose. I think that if I were OtterBox, I would have put those top & bottom clips closer to the keyboard side to snug the front bezel down more but I'm sure they had their reasons.

At first, I thought all this had something to do with the clicking noise but the more I inspect it the more I feel it is actually the back part of the case causing the noise. It happens when the slide is closed and the backside of the face makes contact with these 3 tabs on the back part of the case.
OtterBoxCase3.jpg

Syko

Reaction score
Nice links, Syco. I see your point about the thin spot in the case between the speaker and camera button. So far, I've used it for a few months with no problems, including having removed and reinstalled it a couple dozen times. I'll be sure to avoid stressing those points though.

- Bob

For those who are considering this case & wondering what that heck we are talking about, here's a snap shot.

VerizonCase3.jpg

There is a fastener clip right at that corner so when you remove the back cover (especially from top to bottom) that bottom fastener really holds tight and that little thin area may snap before the fastener comes loose.