blurry ADW?

djakrse

Reaction score
After reading all the posts, I think I see what you're trying to do. Have a look at these settings and see if they do what you want:

ADW Settings > UI Settings >

• AB size > scroll right to 10 for full size
  • Dock Icons Tint (change dock icons to whited out look)
  • Tint Color to change tint to any color. The solid circle in the middle is your current choice. The slider below is transparency
Unfortunately, I spoke to soon on which buttons you could use. I believe this was removed recently, possibly for inclusion in the new ADWLauncher EX, which has more customizations.

ADW Things

I DO see that you can still use the 5 button style dock and just remove the 2 icons in the middle, but you are left with faint stars (bleh) and I don't know how to remove them

ADW Settings > UI Settings >

• Main Dock Style > 5 icons (different than before)
If you have icons on middle buttons, long-press and drag to either end position.

Before maybe version 1.3.0, you could choose to use Action Buttons and Secondary Action Buttons individually, and therefore could have the Action Buttons not in use. I may have to try out ADWLauncher EX, which is being maintained in sync with the regular, open source version.

Last edited:
OP
doobie711

doobie711

Reaction score
Not sure if this is part of what you were trying to accomplish or not, but... you can use both action buttons (either side of app drawer) and both secondary action buttons (outside icons), OR you can use either/or to have only one pair in use. The point being that if you only want 3 icons, you can have 3 in the middle or use the ones on the end, skipping one on either side of the app drawer.
thanks for this. i didn't even think about using the 5 icon option. i had been using a 1.3 standalone for this little project so when 1.3.6 came out the whole editing icons threw me off as i hadn't seen it before. I may try adw launcher ex. i have all the icons that i want to use i just wasn't quite sure how to make them all fit in there like motorola's blur does it. thank you so much for your contribution. it really has helped go a long way.

djakrse

Reaction score
No prob. Unfortunately, like I said things have changed with the latest version. Before and maybe with version 1.3 you could use the outside buttons only, but now with the newer 5 icon option, you get stars as placeholders. Maybe we could ask for removing the stars as an issue or feature request.

Issues - adw-launcher-android - Project Hosting on Google Code

OP
doobie711

doobie711

Reaction score
yeah i noticed the place holders whenever i opened the app drawer. for the way i'm going about it i plan on just deleting the stars from the apk and then recompiling it myself.

djakrse

Reaction score
Well that's one way to do it ;)

BTW, did you get a replacement app drawer icon in place? You don't have to modify the apk to do that.

Create your own app drawer shortcut:
Menu > Add > Custom shortcut > Pick your activity > Launcher Actions > Open/close App Drawer. Tap the default icon > Select icon type...

For your own personal icons, choose Select picture > browse to location of personal icon, select, and click OK. Drag new shortcut to the dock in whatever position you want.

You can now long-press on shortcuts in dockbar and choose to edit....

PS sorry for long response times, I'm helping someone with their bootani

OP
doobie711

doobie711

Reaction score
it's cool. this is gonna be my last post because it's 1:11 right now. the launcher icon was edited in the apk because it's from 1.3 and for some reason when it updated it didn't overwrite that. weird but good enough for me. the phone is from blur and the browser is a transparent gingerbread icon. got the position pretty close to what i like but i'm still not satisfied with the browser icon. any ideas to bounce off for the color scheme would be great.

djakrse

Reaction score
First off, are these screenshots of the blur launcher?

it's cool. this is gonna be my last post because it's 1:11 right now. the launcher icon was edited in the apk because it's from 1.3 and for some reason when it updated it didn't overwrite that.
That makes this slightly confusing for me. Are you saying when you updated ADW it didn't replace the old icon,
attachment.php
, with the new "4 squares" one? (AnderWeb had this on his website for those who didn't like the new icon. I've been using it as a template to make new ones.)
the phone is from blur and the browser is a transparent gingerbread icon. got the position pretty close to what i like but i'm still not satisfied with the browser icon. any ideas to bounce off for the color scheme would be great.
Did you try the icon tint option I mentioned? What effect are you going for?

OP
doobie711

doobie711

Reaction score
i did use the tint but it didn't give the same level of icon detail i was after. i replaced the 4 squares launcher icon with the arrow. it's inside the apk so whenever it updated it didn't change what i had already put in the apk myself. and every screen i've posted is from adw launcher. here's the new browser. the continents are transparent with white oceans because that seemed the best way to make it look. drocap didn't quite grab the bottom but i think you get the picture.

djakrse

Reaction score
Okay, now I got it... was suspecting as much, but curious as to how you already had icons to outside positions when I thought you were struggling with that.

That is definitely an improvement and I understand about details. I personally hate the "tint" because it leaves no details. The icons aren't just monochromed, the contrast is gone.

I don't understand how the icon remained when the app was updated. I've never modified an app. Is the app definitely replaced and updated, not "dual installed"?

OP
doobie711

doobie711

Reaction score
curious as to how you already had icons to outside positions when I thought you were struggling with that.
i was struggling before you suggested the 5 icons. that gave me the idea to make them completely transparent so that the icons are spread out but there's still no placeholder star between them.

That is definitely an improvement and I understand about details. I personally hate the "tint" because it leaves no details. The icons aren't just monochromed, the contrast is gone.
yeah it definitely turned me off to using the tint. it made the browser icon just a circle.

I don't understand how the icon remained when the app was updated. I've never modified an app. Is the app definitely replaced and updated, not "dual installed"?
the original ADW that i was using was on apex which had it installed in /system so i think you're right about it being dual installed. i might have updated adw and then modified the newest version to include the Arrow App launcher. i was changing out from Apex to try and go stock and then deodex so right now i'm not 100% on exactly what lead me to what i have now. thanks for your help and suggestions it doesn't look half bad to me.

djakrse

Reaction score
Cool, glad it turned out ok. Sorry to have kept you up so late. I'm thinking I'm not working out in the morning. zzz

PS I like your Shatner avatar. Denny Crane!