Blur_Version.5.5.893.XT875.Verizon.en.US - Who Needs It?

Hollywood67

Reaction score
Thanks for the work and easy instructions in this post. Worked flawlessly, maintained root. Seems to be an improvement.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there anything special about this 902 update?

If you have .901, there won't be that much. According to Droid Life here is the change log from .901 to .902 (from 1/17/12 so it's old):

• Remove VCast Music preload
  • Add Amazon MP3 app preload
  • Motorola Terms and Conditions screen automatically enables data collection/location details
  • Google security patch to block access to change Home panel icons
  • After factory reset, location consent screen shown on activation screen
  • Change “Terms and Condition” screen title to “Motorola Terms of Service”
And if you're at .893 the .902 change log is at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/197237-new-bionic-update-here.html

madmako

Reaction score
I found an alternate link on XDA -- there was some confusion over there about the .901 vs. .902 files, but I found the right version by comparing file sizes. Installed flawlessly on my Bionic -- even retained root (with Forever Root). I decided to host the correct file on my Dropbox for now rather than linking to XDA due to the confusion over there.

Here's the verified correct .902 update file.

Screenshot from my phone to show this is .902 and not .901:

View attachment 47036

Thanks for your help.... I received the VZW OTA .902 notification this morning in NH and it failed on my Bionic, rooted with Pete's Tools. I attempted to unroot the Bionic again with Pete's and it failed with a couple error messages. I also unhid a VZW's back up assistant bloatware.

So, by downloading the "..... correct 902 update file" link, will .902 install even in its rooted state?

Thank you for your advice.

unbesorgt

Reaction score
Thanks for your help.... I received the VZW OTA .902 notification this morning in NH and it failed on my Bionic, rooted with Pete's Tools. I attempted to unroot the Bionic again with Pete's and it failed with a couple error messages. I also unhid a VZW's back up assistant bloatware.

So, by downloading the "..... correct 902 update file" link, will .902 install even in its rooted state?

Thank you for your advice.

Well, the file I posted should be the exact same file they are sending out OTA, so if that failed to install then this one probably will too. You need to address whatever is causing the update process to fail. You are rooted so have you uninstalled any bloatware, modified the build.prop file, changed SQL Lite settings, etc.? The update checks for all that stuff and will abort if it finds changes. If you froze bloatware then you should unfreeze it. If you deleted it outright and don't have a nandroid backup to get it back, then you will probably need to flash an FXZ file to get back to stock so the update will take. Good luck.

madmako

Reaction score
First, make sure the file is on your external SD card (sd-ext) and not the internal storage that some apps misreport as sdcard.

Power down your phone, then reboot while holding volume up and volume down at the same time. When you get the screen with the box, press volume up and down again to bring up the menu. Then use volume down to select Recovery, and tap the power button to select. Use the same keys to select Update from Zip, and then to select the file. From there it should perform the update. When done, select Reboot Now.

?? When I scroll to select RECOVERY, neither a momentary or long press of the power button has any effect, but the Volume Up button sets off a Reboot. I have the .902 zip file loaded on the Ext SD. So, what could I be doing wrong?

Thanks for the help.

unbesorgt

Reaction score
?? When I scroll to select RECOVERY, neither a momentary or long press of the power button has any effect, but the Volume Up button sets off a Reboot. I have the .902 zip file loaded on the Ext SD. So, what could I be doing wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Moto made these screens very convoluted as the buttons do different things on different screens. On the screen with Recovery, the volume down button is supposed to highlight different options, and volume up is supposed to select it. On subsequent screens, both volume keys can be used to highlight options and the power button selects.

Hollywood67

Reaction score
@madmak. I had some of the same issue in recovery. Thought I wasnt doing something right. Keep trying. IMO Sometimes a momentary press will work, give it time.Some times long press followed by pause will work. Keep trying. I was rooted and retained root. I did unfreeze all bloat with Tb first.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC .902 better battery, solid data now:)

madmako

Reaction score
,".... then you will probably need to flash an FXZ file to get back to stock so the update will take. Good luck.

Good luck, indeed!:blink: I only got in this mess because Moto/VZW did not execute the release of this product very well. I left the mediocrity of the BlackBerry Storm to the insanity of Moto/VZW/4G with a device that lasts only a few hours between charges complimented by the occasional soft bricking black screens of death.

But, I digress. Please help me get this pig back into the pen. Where and how do I get and flash "an FXZ file" to return to stock?

I'm in the process of performing a Titanium Backup to Dropbox. Presumably, after I re-flash somehow or another, I'll be able to perform a Restore after re-downloading TB from Android Market.

Thanks anyone/everyone who can help get me out of this jam.

unbesorgt

Reaction score
Good luck, indeed!:blink: I only got in this mess because Moto/VZW did not execute the release of this product very well. I left the mediocrity of the BlackBerry Storm to the insanity of Moto/VZW/4G with a device that lasts only a few hours between charges complimented by the occasional soft bricking black screens of death.

But, I digress. Please help me get this pig back into the pen. Where and how do I get and flash "an FXZ file" to return to stock?

I'm in the process of performing a Titanium Backup to Dropbox. Presumably, after I re-flash somehow or another, I'll be able to perform a Restore after re-downloading TB from Android Market.

Thanks anyone/everyone who can help get me out of this jam.

Sorry man, I'm hesitant to say too much about flashing FXZ files because I've never done it myself (never needed to). Basically it's a way of returning your phone completely back to stock. I would recommend this thread for more info: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...-5-893-fxz-901-902-compatible-902-update.html

madmako

Reaction score
@madmak. I had some of the same issue in recovery. Thought I wasnt doing something right. Keep trying. IMO Sometimes a momentary press will work, give it time.Some times long press followed by pause will work. Keep trying. I was rooted and retained root. I did unfreeze all bloat with Tb first.

Thanks, I've been trying to hold the power button when scrolled to the RECOVERY option momentarily, briefly, long 5 second holds, 10 second holds, quick repetitions, facing North, standing on my left foot, using different fingers, using my other hand.........

madmako

Reaction score
Sorry man, I'm hesitant to say too much about flashing FXZ files because I've never done it myself (never needed to). Basically it's a way of returning your phone completely back to stock. I would recommend this thread for more info: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...-5-893-fxz-901-902-compatible-902-update.html

I finally got to RECOVERY and executed "apply update from sdcard and here's what happened:

Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installing update ....
Verifying current system ..
assert failed: apply_patch_check ("/system/build.prop" (followed by 2 long sets of alphanumeric characters)
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Is there a clue in the above as to where to look to find why .902 will not install?

Thanks.

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
I finally got to RECOVERY and executed "apply update from sdcard and here's what happened:

Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installing update ....
Verifying current system ..
assert failed: apply_patch_check ("/system/build.prop" (followed by 2 long sets of alphanumeric characters)
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Is there a clue in the above as to where to look to find why .902 will not install?

Thanks.

Some one gave me that same error they ended up having to use my fxz someone has already posted the link

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums