Bluetooth won't play in the car

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
My GS4 did, and my new GS5 won't connect. I've googled this all over the place and no one seems to have a working solution. I went back to Best Buy where I got the phone (ATT) and two technicians tried IN THE CAR to get it to work and it won't. So they exchanged the phone for a new new one and same thing. The car LCD says Bluetooth not connected. I've tried everything I can think of. They said it might be the car's software. I doubt that but I called and the service department was closed until tomorrow.

If that's a fail, I don't know what other options I have. I don't know if a GS6 would work either. What a drag. My GS4 played music in the car just fine but not this one. We'll see.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
What a drag. My Note 4 works with the cheap-o bluetooth connector that I bought, though it does kinda skip just a little once in a while. (I'm really just commenting here to follow your story from the other thread)

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
What a drag. My Note 4 works with the cheap-o bluetooth connector that I bought, though it does kinda skip just a little once in a while. (I'm really just commenting here to follow your story from the other thread)

interesting, see my post in the other music app thread. It seems clear to me there's something wrong with Samsung's bluetooth audio implementation.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's just a quick little "skip" in the connection, but you may be on to something. I don't notice it as much on my bluetooth earbuds, or my standalone bluetooth speaker though, so I'm inclined to think my particular case is more of an issue with that handsfree device for the car just not being the best quality. I saw similar complaints on the reviews before buying it, but it's not enough to annoy me, so I live with it.

The wife has my old S4. Can't remember if it had the same issue, but based on the results you guys have, I'd say it probably worked just fine the few times I did use it. I didn't use it for bluetooth music near as much as I have with the Note 4.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
"It seems clear to me there's something wrong with Samsung's bluetooth audio implementation."

Absolutely. I just got out of live chat with Samsung and they're clueless. They say this is the first they've heard of the problem. That's bull. I've seen the very same complaint all over the net.

MOD NOTE: Edited for language.

Last edited by a moderator:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Sorry I can't offer more assistance @Bluesman2008 . My significant other can't get hers to connect directly to her stock vehicle system, but she's used a third party device for years in her last two vehicles and its worked great.
As for all of our other BT devices, both S5s connect without a problem. This is why I think the issue lies with your vehicles firmware. Vehicles have always been particularly finicky when it comes to BT & Android, regardless of the make/model vehicle OR device you're trying to connect with. You never mentioned what happened when you took it back into the service department. It's only Tuesday so you may not have had a chance to return to have them check.
Also, are you having the same problems with any stand alone Bluetooth devices? (earbuds, speakers etc) If so, I would contact Samsung and ask for a warranty replacement, regardless of Best Buy giving you one already. Having it not work in a vehicle is one thing, (that's been a problem for years across many devices AND vehicles) but if it isn't connecting to other BT devices, then I would be concerned.
If after you have the dealership check on a firmware update for your vehicle and it still doesn't work, there are a multitude of third party options you can use to connect your S5 to your vehicle.
Wish I could offer a better reply but these are your only options at the moment.
Good luck!

S5 tap'n

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Well, this is mindblowing. I finally got it to work. The frustrating part is that I don't know what I did. I just sat in the car and kept unpairing and repairing the device and FINALLY

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Well, this is mindblowing. I finally got it to work. The frustrating part is that I don't know what I did. I just sat in the car and kept unpairing and repairing the device and FINALLY
Isn't that how it always goes...? Hopefully they'll remember that they're friends now.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That's what worked for my sister in law also. I was ready to smash things and then....voila.... Paired successfully!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Well, now that I got that last glitch under control, I'm really liking this phone. It's everything I want/need. I wonder if Samsung's sales of the GS6 and Edge are suffering from not having a replaceable battery and extra onboard storage not to mention that fingerprint attracting back. Those are the things that made me get the 5 instead of the 6.