Bluetooth voice dialing

dstonier

Reaction score
Interesting... I suppose Google considers that a "feature" ;) That makes sense if you're on a call but I feel like I've been on a bluetooth call while Navigation was running and the australian lady yelled in my ear, "In one mile, turn left!" I'll have to test that and update you.
Either way i would expect a call-related action to be done via bluetooth if its connected... especially one that is initiated via the bluetooth headset.

Maybe its just me? It worked that way with the A855 running Froyo!

Dstones

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Snipe315

Reaction score
No, that is the way it works. For example if you are using navigation and have your bluetooth headset on, navigation will come from the phone speaker. not your headset.

Not entirely correct.

When using a Bluetooth Headset with A2DP, ALL audio is routed thru the Bluetooth device; except for any incoming call ring and/or announcements.

It has been this way for several years for almost all modern devices. I've only purchased Bluetooth devices that support the A2DP (Streaming Audio) for this specific reason (Jabra BT8010, 8040, Extreme, Plantronics Voyager 855, Jawbone ICON...).

There however IS an issue with using Voice Commands initiated from a Bluetooth. Currently, Voice Commands will not allow activation from Bluetooth device if the phone is locked.

:icon_evil:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, that is the way it works. For example if you are using navigation and have your bluetooth headset on, navigation will come from the phone speaker. not your headset.

Not entirely correct.

When using a Bluetooth Headset with A2DP, ALL audio is routed thru the Bluetooth device; except for any incoming call ring and/or announcements.

It has been this way for several years for almost all modern devices. I've only purchased Bluetooth devices that support the A2DP (Streaming Audio) for this specific reason (Jabra BT8010, 8040, Extreme, Plantronics Voyager 855, Jawbone ICON...).

There however IS an issue with using Voice Commands initiated from a Bluetooth. Currently, Voice Commands will not allow activation from Bluetooth device if the phone is locked.

Are you talking about being locked with a pattern lock? Because with the phone just in a lock you can use voice command to make calls with.

I'm not familiar with the technology used that you described. I just know that when I use bluetooth and Navigator it comes through the speaker. I don't have Bluetooth in my car, I'll have to experiment with audio running through a 3.5 jack.

pool_shark

Reaction score

Not entirely correct.

Are you talking about being locked with a pattern lock? Because with the phone just in a lock you can use voice command to make calls with.

I'm not familiar with the technology used that you described. I just know that when I use bluetooth and Navigator it comes through the speaker. I don't have Bluetooth in my car, I'll have to experiment with audio running through a 3.5 jack.

My plantronics headsets that did not have a2dp still had the voice prompts in the headset.
My Blueant T1 is a2dp and the navigation as well as system sounds and music come through the headset.

If my D2 is locked with a PIN I cannot initiate voice command, if just the slide lock is on with no password at all, it works fine.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it helps at all, but I use a BlueAnt S4 with my D2.

When it connects, all audio is directed thru the BT speaker, including the nice little Androidy voice which talks to me. On top of that, I can initiate calls while the phone is in any state - locked or unlocked, being used, or idle.

born2golf

Reaction score
Just got the Droid 2 a week or two ago.. Im using the same bluetooth headset I used with my A855. When I press the button on the headset to initiate voice dialing it starts voice diailing, however the audio input and output is directed to the phone rather than the headset. Once I select a contact to call, audio is directed to the headset.

This seems to be unintuitive, and with the A855, all audio was directed to the headset once I pressed the button on the headset to initiate voice dialing.

Has anyone else experienced this? Highly doubt its my headset...

Thanks,
Dstones
Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

This is sort of a bug. I too have this problem, but it does not occur all the time. And I find that pulling the battery will fix it. Once I have a clean reboot the "please wait... say a command" prompt will come through my bluetooth headset. I have not yet figured out what combination of events or actions or apps causes the voice prompt to revert back to the phone. I have even seen this occur between back to back calls. where on my first call attempt the prompt comes through the headset and the next call, placed immediately after, prompt through the phone.

born2golf

Reaction score

Not entirely correct.

That is not entirely correct either. I am able to initiate calls from my BT when my phone is locked. I just did it 3 times to verify before writing this reply. I am on a D2 with a samsung wep490 headset.

EDIT: My screen was only off, but security had not been activated. When I turned on a PIN for security, I experienced the behavior Snipe stated. Voice commands are unavailable until the phone is unlocked. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

rcase13

Reaction score
I use my Droid 4 to voice dial using my helmet headset. This is an important feature for me and now it's gone. It worked great before the ICS upgrade. What will it take to get that back?

Erikbal

Reaction score
Sorry I can't answer your question but here's a bump for you!

garylet

Reaction score
My bluetooth voice dialing works fine after ICS. What is happening on your phone?

Benton

Reaction score
Mine works fine/perfect with my Bose BT and fine with the helmet BT however background noise can be an issue when riding...comes with the usage I think.