Bluetooth voice dialing

kenc3dan

Reaction score
Does it have Bluetooth initiated voice dialing?
I.E. did anyone license Nuanve vSuite like they did for the Devour?
Hope so.
Can anyone confirm this?
Verizon?
Anyone?

OP
kenc3dan

kenc3dan

Reaction score
No Bluetooth voice dial on the Incredible

I emailed Verizon and sadly the Incredible does not have Bluetooth initiated voice dialing. They responded within 6 hours via email and a voicemail.
Looks like I'll be stuck with my old E815, the Devour or the iPhone.
Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website. My name is xxxx and I will be more than happy to assist you with information regarding rather or not the Droid Incredible has the Bluetooth voice activated dialing. I can appreciate you wanting the safety of this feature.

I attempted to contact you on mobile number ending in xxxx to further discuss your account in detail and I was unable to reach you. However, I did leave a voicemail message. Unfortunately the Bluetooth voice activated dialing is not a feature included with the HTC Droid Incredible. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

BzB

Reaction score
is bt dialing really that big of a deal breaker? especially with all else considered? i used blackberrys for 5 years prior to getting the droid and almost never used the voice dialing feature.

OP
kenc3dan

kenc3dan

Reaction score
Yeah, I think I speak for many others when I say that once you've had a lousy feature phone with good Bluetooth voice dialing it's hard to settle for anything else. It also depends on how much you use the device in a car or while doing other tasks that require hands. For car use I've found that having to look at and touch the screen feels WAY less safe than reaching up to my headset. It just feels dangerous and apparently it is. I wish I could live without it. Cheers to anyone who can use these great Android phones that lack it.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
is bt dialing really that big of a deal breaker? especially with all else considered? i used blackberrys for 5 years prior to getting the droid and almost never used the voice dialing feature.

Deal breaker no,big issue yes. Driving and having to make a call is very dangerous the way it is right now. No android phones seem to have BT voice dial though. It is something that has been standard on phones for something like 5 years or more. A lot of states have a law in place that you need to be completely hands free or you get a major ticket.

virtualhuman

Reaction score
It's not a complete fix, but the BlueAnt Q1 does voice commands and 8 voice dial slots, and has some sort of Android app. *I have no personal experience with this headset, though I may buy it at some point.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Every Android phone made does not have absolutely hands free dialing (unless you use the Blue Ant as mentioned previously). It's an Android thing and I have a feeling that if it could have been fixed it would have been some time ago.

OP
kenc3dan

kenc3dan

Reaction score
The Devour and many of the non-U.S. Android phones do have Bluetooth voice dialing. Even Android 1.5 and 1.6. It's not an Android thing, it's that carriers don't license Nuance Voice Suite for their best phones. (!?) Google COULD build it into Android if they wanted to but no luck so far. I'm hoping that I can at least do call initiation and hear/respond to prompts via a wired headset on the Incredible.

xliderider

Reaction score
Virtual human, nice Green Cheeked Conure in your avatar. :) I've got one myself...

The best I've done with my Droid is to put some direct dial shortcuts on my home screen and mounted my car dock high up on my windshield, pretty much in just above my line of sight. I can't be cited for holding the cellphone in my hand, as that's the only illegal thing about using a cellphone in my area.

noguilt

Reaction score
clarification re: voice dialing

Was on the verge of getting the Droid Incredible until i saw this thread and a similar one elsewhere. I totally rely on voice dialing.

So i downloaded the Incredible manual (from Download HTC Droid Incredible user manual), which on p. 41 describes the "Voice Dialer."

So is the following correct?: With the Incredible, you CANNOT initiate voice dialing with a bluetooth headset, but you CAN give voice dialing commands on the bluetooth headset after you've initiated voice dialing on the phone itself.

Also, from the manual, p. 41 (plus a youtube video), it appears that to initiate voice dialing requires pressing the softkey with a dot inside a circle (left of the Phone softkey), then scroll down to the "Voice Dialer" icon, then tap that icon. Is that correct? That seems a lot to have to do to initiate voice dialing -- which one uses for its convenience! With my LG Voyager and previous E815, one just presses a single hardware button and then start the voice command. Android phones are supposed to be the ultimate in customizability -- is there any way to change the settings on the Incredible so that voice dialing can be initiated with just one step? A macro? A widget?

Thanks to anyone who can confirm that my characterizations of how voice dialing on the Incredible works are correct (or incorrect).

Last edited:

noguilt

Reaction score
I've revised the query after watching a youtube "walkthrough" of the Incredible, but the youtube didn't answer my question.

So I still really, really hope someone who has the Incredible will answer. Please?

Last edited:

tsaro

Reaction score
It's easy to place the icon for the voice dialer on the phone's main home page, so you can access it with a single button push. The voice dialer works pretty well, but requires an additional touch response to confirm the number to dial, or to select among the numbers associated with a contact. For commonly called numbers, I prefer creating icons for individual speed dial numbers. I've dedicated one of my phone's 7 home pages to this purpose. You can fit up to 16 individual icons on each of these screens.

There is one bluetooth headset (the BlueAnt Q1) that, according to reviews, enables true hands-free dialing of pre-set speed dial numbers from the headset, but I don't have personal experience with the device.

Good luck with your decision.

kmo

Reaction score
Certainly was not a deal breaker for me but it definitely sucks not having this feature.

sturgl

Reaction score
I just left the Verizon store. This was absolutely a deal-breaker for me. I was literally reaching for my wallet, getting ready to re-up my contract when I remembered to ask about this standard feature that simple feature phones handled easily 5 years ago - and only because I remembered the Palm Pre doesn't do it either! By law I must use voice dial. I've used it for years - but as of 2010 it's the law in my state if you want to place calls while driving. Quite an oversight, if you ask me...

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Almost was a deal-breaker in my case as well... but I reupped with VZW with the faith that someone, not sure who, but someone will finally figure out that this is a basic fix and will implement it.