Bluetooth Streaming Issue

dkelly701

Reaction score
I installed 232 a while back using HOB and it has been pretty smooth except for 1 issue. I stream media alot through bluetooth and it causes spontaneous reboots. This is the only time the phone reboots and it does it when streaming to 3 different devices. I deleted all of the pairings and repaired with no effect. The next thing I wanted to try was to get the correct bluetooth.apk for 232 and replace the one on my phone using Rootexplorer. Will that cause any issues? Do I need to replace both bluetooth.apk and bluetooth.odex? My next issue is where to get them. I looked in the HOB stuff and the only bluetooth.apk I see is the patch and not the full apk. Anyone know where I can get the full apk?

Thanks for any help.

Just_AGuy

Reaction score
I ran 232 for a few weeks. I'd stream Slacker and My Music. (on 246 now not streamed a lot) The only problem I had was with Slacker. It would freeze up to the point my radio volume button would not respond. It only happened using Slacker, but it happened on .905 too. I think it is either Slacker or my radio.

OP
D

dkelly701

Reaction score
My phone reboots using Ambling Book Player and Pandora.

lasermole

Reaction score
Freezing streaming BT audio

Guys, I've been running ICS 232 for about 3 months. Everything has been fantastic! Smooth, fast, fixed lots of little bugs for me.
However I've inherited one new huge one, I love to use my phone to listen to music on my commute. I use a Pioneer head unit in my car and have so for over 3 years now.
Its worked flawlessly until ICS.
Since ICS first days my phone would randomly freeze when streaming audio to my car stereo. Didn't seem to matter what did the streaming.
I have tried a myriad of things to fix this. Clearing caches on all BT enabled apps, tasker as I use it for setting volumes once connected to BT, clearing dalvik, cache partition, freezing apps, battery pulls, etc.
Each time it would seem I got it working but again this would happen, at random times 5min-40+ min. And my phone has never froze UNLESS it was using BT.
I even tried that Bluetooth KeepAlive app, but it makes no diff.
I recently even updated to 246 ICS hoping this might fix it, but no, still happens. This is infuriating and not to mention embarrassing when you are in the middle of a good song and phone just halts leaving you silent lol.
I suppose I could try a factory reset, but I doubt this will help. I'm considering a new custom ROM but they all seem to come with new issues of their own and that is not a trade off I'm willing to make. Its fixed, or nothing.

Any ideas? I have heard so many issues regarding bluetooth on ICS ROM phones...

Thanks guys,
lasermole.

OP
D

dkelly701

Reaction score
If you get it figured out, let me know. I have a similar problem except mine freezes for a few seconds and then reboots. By the way, a factory reset did not help my problem.

Guys, I've been running ICS 232 for about 3 months. Everything has been fantastic! Smooth, fast, fixed lots of little bugs for me.
However I've inherited one new huge one, I love to use my phone to listen to music on my commute. I use a Pioneer head unit in my car and have so for over 3 years now.
Its worked flawlessly until ICS.
Since ICS first days my phone would randomly freeze when streaming audio to my car stereo. Didn't seem to matter what did the streaming.
I have tried a myriad of things to fix this. Clearing caches on all BT enabled apps, tasker as I use it for setting volumes once connected to BT, clearing dalvik, cache partition, freezing apps, battery pulls, etc.
Each time it would seem I got it working but again this would happen, at random times 5min-40+ min. And my phone has never froze UNLESS it was using BT.
I even tried that Bluetooth KeepAlive app, but it makes no diff.
I recently even updated to 246 ICS hoping this might fix it, but no, still happens. This is infuriating and not to mention embarrassing when you are in the middle of a good song and phone just halts leaving you silent lol.
I suppose I could try a factory reset, but I doubt this will help. I'm considering a new custom ROM but they all seem to come with new issues of their own and that is not a trade off I'm willing to make. Its fixed, or nothing.

Any ideas? I have heard so many issues regarding bluetooth on ICS ROM phones...

Thanks guys,
lasermole.

lasermole

Reaction score
Think I may have it

If you get it figured out, let me know. I have a similar problem except mine freezes for a few seconds and then reboots. By the way, a factory reset did not help my problem.

Well after trying many many things and lurking all over the android forums and Google for weeks I have gone 3 days straight with no freezes while streaming music to my stereo! And these "sessions" are my commute and last over 1 hour of glitch free operation. So my confidence level is high.

I think I have narrowed this down to 2 possible causes.
1. Wireless glitches, I know that sounds vague but I'm no programmer and can't delve any deeper then theory.
2. File system glitches. Now this would affect pretty much any audio source streamed via Bluetooth. Whether it be Power Amp, Google Play Music, Pandora etc.
all of these need to read/write (Pandora, Google play music) to and from an SD card internal or external.

The first tip I got that was easy to try and I think is making the difference:
> Turn off WiFi while using Bluetooth.
Seemed sensible, it could certainly cause interference at the least. And countless other apps, processes would be running as a result of the WiFi being on. So turning it off could help.
I setup a tasker profile to detect the connection to my Bluetooth stereo and turn off the WiFi automatically upon connection.
Now if this is indeed the fix, I'm happy I have it but a little disappointed that I have to do this just to use my phone as I see fit. What if I wanted to war drive while I listened to music lol. Or get the benefit of faster GPS locks in navigation scenarios with the WiFi on?

The other tip I kept coming across was file system errors or corruption, with a special call out to potential incompatibility glitches with old Android OS files from gingerbread (before most of us updated to ICS) And just to be clear I personally never had this issue UNTIL the ICS update.
So I hunted through my External SD card ( a 32GB class 10 Sandisk) for any old files from Gingerbread, or anything i did not need and deleted them.
I also thought it wouldn't hurt to do a Fix Permissions via safestrap recovery. But the lack of output made me feel it wasn't doing much. So I installed Rom Manager and ran the fix permissions from that.

And one last odd thing I heard that seemed to be helping some people:
Once you are connected to your audio device, make a phone call. (just call an automated system like your bank then hang up)
this seemed to help make the connection "stick" for some. Again, annoying and should not be a necessary action to use the damn audio streaming on our phones but...what you gonna do? Android isn't as polished at it could be and that ain't happening with 600+ devices in the wild and no manufacturer showing each of them the TLC they need to be the most they can/could be.

Well give these tips a try folks and let me know if this helps!
P.S.
I assume a lot of us are using Titanium backup?
I have frozen the following system apps that may affect the BT.
VZW Package Installer
Bluetooth Share
Device Setup
FlashRemoval

There were others that I have flat out uninstalled (after a backup)

OP
D

dkelly701

Reaction score
Wifi is not my issue. I never have wifi on unless I am at home and the reboots happen away from home. I will look through my internal and external storage and see if I see any stuff to delete.

I will try to fix permissions and see what that does. I also have some stuff disabled through ICS. I might try enabling everything and see if that helps.

lasermole

Reaction score
Shoot.
Thought I had this fixed.

But...first let me be clear what happens when things go wrong.
Suddenly without any warning or event proceeding that I can see. My Bionic will freeze the music, freeze all screen movement, touch response freezes, and a minute or two later the phone will reboot.

The reboot does not solve this. And this will keep repeating until I either stop playing music, or disconnect the Bluetooth.
Again once connecting the Bluetooth back this random bug will show itself at a random time again.

I think this may be related to the sleep mode that is available from a long press of the power button. I have a need for this while out for an extended period of time in a location where I cannot recharge my phone. It keeps me running longer without the need for a charger.
However I can trace back every instance of this weird Bluetooth freeze issue to the very first time I used "Sleep Mode" while out on a long day trip in a park.
Resuming from the sleep mode must cause this somehow. Because after a complete wipe of my phone for the 6.7.246 ICS update my Bionic was fine. Until I had to use the sleep mode for the "first time" then the bug showed up again.

Its almost as if the sleep mode turns something off then note fully back on? I have no idea. I would love to know how many of us have this bug that have also used the sleep mode? And are we all using root? or any other unusual modifications? I would hate for the solution to be factory reset and then never use sleep mode.

Send me some feedback Bionic users!
Thanks, Lasermole.