Bluetooth Serial + Cisco Console Cable

geeksbydesign

Reaction score
I dont have my droid yet, and have been searching all morning for someone who has tried this.

I want to connect my droid (that I dont have yet) to a Bluetooth serial adapter, then connect that to a Cisco console cable, to achieve the ability to configure a cisco router via console from my phone.

Has anyone tried this? Does anyone have a Bluetooth serial adapter to try with connectbot?

Jeremy556

Reaction score
I doubt it. Why not use SSH? That along with some access lists should be more secure than BT, and a whole lot easier.

OP
G

geeksbydesign

Reaction score
Hello long dead thread! I look forward to hearing if it works for you. I did end up buying the Droid, rooted it, and enjoy many of the rooted features (wireless tethering for the win!)

I ended up buying a macbook for the superior battery life, and pretty much gave up on the idea of configuring a router via the Droid. But I would still be very interested if it works or not. If you have success, I may have to revisit the possibility.

Thanks for letting us know!

bilallucky

Reaction score
I understand that the cisco console connection is considered "legacy" and that USB connections are becoming more popular with newer Cisco devices, but in the meantime it would be nice to manage my slice of the millions of "legacy" devices out there.

jaykc

Reaction score
This is it !

The Holy Grail of Droid / Cisco apps.

To console into a Cisco router or switch with a bluetooth serial adapter you can use the "Bluetooth Terminal Emulator" from www.magicandroidapps.com. It is available in the Android Market.

I'm using an old BlueConsole2 adapter but I'm sure any bluetooth serial adapter will work.

It is truly plug and play. Great app.

a8ksh4

Reaction score
Great, I've got a Bluetooth adapter in the mail now so I can try this. I'm going to use it for console on old Solaris systems :).

jamesjaku

Reaction score
you can search jakutech from youtube, there will be how to use a android serial cable to connect with the telephone switch/ cisco console
but you need to install an android software like the terminal in PC