Bluetooth Keyboard working with Droid? I think so!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by shadowninja23, Jun 24, 2010.

1. shadowninja23

shadowninja23 New Member

Bluetooth Keyboard working with Droid? I think so! (Updated w/ Video!)

Hey everyone, so I've been checking out the forums here for a good while, and now I thought I'd share something I just recently found. It's basically allowing you to use a bluetooth keyboard to type on your android phone. It works pretty well for me right now, and it's called Bluekeyboard JP. Here are some general instructions from me, since the website's instructions aren't that clear...

1. Go into Market and search "bluekeyboard jp" and download the app; it's free. (Or go to this link and use the barcode scanner to access it: BlueKeyboard JP - Bluetooth for Android)

2. Once installed, go into your phone's Settings and go to Language & Keyboard.

3. Check BlueKeyboard JP and go into its settings, and then into bluetooth settings.

4. Enable Bluetooth and scan for devices. Make sure your bluetooth keyboard is on also.

5. If you see it in the devices list, click it and then it'll ask you to enter a PIN. Just type 4 numbers, such as 1234, and press OK.

6. Once you do that, on your bluetooth keyboard, type the same number sequence and press Enter and it should say your keyboard is "Paired, but not connected" on your Droid.

7. Go back and disable Auto Capitalization, select your keyboard in the Selected Keyboard tab and you should be good to go. To try it out effectively, disable your Android keyboard (or select the Bluekeyboard JP keyboard in the Input Method tab) and go into any app and select a text field and it should say that the keyboard is trying to connect in your notification bar. Once it does, try typing and it should work!

Only problems I have with this so far is that my keyboard doesn't remain on for some reason...but I think this maybe because I need new batteries in it. Otherwise, when it was on, it was typing fine and I was texting people using the keyboard and writing in Documents To Go with this. I will try and make a video of this in a little while to show you all exactly what to do, since the website's directions are kinda hard to follow.

UPDATE (7/31/10): So I just got a HTC Incredible and thought this method would work with it, but because of HTC's Sense UI and incomplete Bluetooth, it won't work. Hopefully, HTC will release some sort of a OTA update that addresses this, if it's not included in the 2.2 Froyo update due soon. Thanks!
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  2. ClaudioKilgannon

ClaudioKilgannon New Member

Oh man, if a lot of people report that this works, I may have to go buy one of those fancy laser bluetooth keyboards.
  3. shadowninja23

shadowninja23 New Member

Yeah, well we'll see. It worked for me, but I need to get new batteries for sure now. My keyboard isn't even turning on lol. Once I get them tomorrow, I'll put up a video of it working. But it was pretty cool to see it actually work.
  4. hexdaemon

hexdaemon New Member

Wow I just came on these forums looking for something like this.

I know you said you didn't get too much of a chance to play with it, but does it work well? Is there any lag or delay? A video would be awesome!

Was there anything on the developer's page that you thought would be helpful? My babelfish translation is a little rough...

But thanks so much for this. Which keyboard are you using, by the way? I'm gonna go to a radioshack or something a test it out if I can on a bunch of bluetooth keyboards, see which ones work best.
  5. shadowninja23

shadowninja23 New Member

Haha well it actually worked really well. I was able to type pretty fast and it followed on screen relatively well. And the developer's page does list what keyboards have been tested and worked so far and the usage and general directions, but i couldn't understand those properly.

But I'm using the Apple Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard, and finally I have a use for it after selling my Macbook lol
  6. hexdaemon

hexdaemon New Member

That's awesome. Just curious, do you know what the difference between the pro and regular version is? This would be so useful, I wouldn't even mind donating after a week of using it or so, but if the regular version is gimped, I might as well just go with the Pro.
  7. shadowninja23

shadowninja23 New Member

Oh yeahh, sorry forgot to include that. Apparently the free version has an advertisement bar on the bottom of the screen when you're using the keyboard, while the pro version gets rid of it.

UPDATE= soooo i'm editing this post right now using my Apple Keyboard and Tapatalk and it's awesome!! I'm gonna try making the video in a bit now
  8. shadowninja23

shadowninja23 New Member

Sorry guys, I've never done it before, but how do you post an embedded youtube video in a post?? :unsure:

Update: Never mind, got it! lol
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  9. techdaring

techdaring New Member

Where can I buy this Bluetooth keyboard ?
  10. shadowninja23

shadowninja23 New Member

Do you mean the app or the actual keyboard? The actual one, you can get from Apple or any electronics store or retailer. Make sure you get one that's compatible with the ones on the website.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  11. Zandar

Zandar New Member

Anyone else have any experience with this app? If it works, I'm going to get me a bluetooth keyboard.
  12. Humpa

Humpa New Member

Is this app using the HID profile or is it like Blueinput and useless if you have a BT keyboard using the HID profile?
  13. shadowninja23

shadowninja23 New Member

I'm not sure how Blueinput works, i've never tried it. All I know is that I got some new Duracell batteries for my Apple keyboard and this thing is awesome. I might have to do another video to show its use again.
  14. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire New Member

I got this working with my rooted Froyo BB .4 Droid and my Microsoft Wireless Entertainment 7000 keyboard. The app is extremely picky but once you connect then it works really really well. I type at 150wpm (187 wpm is my best according to Mavis Beacon) and it keeps up. Really fun chatting with friends on ebuddy. Going to try my other bluetooth keyboard at home. Pretty cool stuff.

It isn't perfect - I somehow keep changing the language (I think shift-g is doing it).

I hate that warning message I get every time I use the app "Attention: This input method may be able to collect all the text you type, including personal data like passwords and credit card numbers. It comes from the application BlueKeyboard JP." Hmmmm. lol.
  15. mainstreetmarshall

mainstreetmarshall New Member

Shadowninji THANK YOU! You saved the day for me. I used a Think Outside Keyboard with my old phone and missed it when I got the droid. YOUR VIDEO fixed it!:icon_ banana:dancedroid
Search tags for this page
apple wireless keyboard with android phone

bluekeyboard jp apk

bluekeyboard jp.apk
bluetooth jp
brookstone bluetooth keyboard won't connect with android
contixo tablet issues
hack allows apple keyboard android
how to connect apple wireless keyboard to android phone
keyboard bluetooth for hack android phonr
pair apple wireless keyboard with android phone