Bluetooth headset question

Anomander

Reaction score
I am looking to get 2 bluetooth headsets for my wife and I for our Droids. I am really eying the Plantronics Voyager 520. My question is if I got two of these and we synced up with our phones we will have any troubles if we are both using them and interrupting or picking up the others phone? It does do voice activating dialing which is going to be good since Oregon is passing a Hands Free Cell phone law.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I am looking to get 2 bluetooth headsets for my wife and I for our Droids. I am really eying the Plantronics Voyager 520. My question is if I got two of these and we synced up with our phones we will have any troubles if we are both using them and interrupting or picking up the others phone? It does do voice activating dialing which is going to be good since Oregon is passing a Hands Free Cell phone law.

You will not have any problem with interference between phones. The headsets will have different bluetooth addresses. My wife and I both had Plantronics Voyager 510 and then both had Jabra BT8010 and never had any problems, as we shouldn't.

Voice activated dialing is another thing though. As far as I know, no headsets work with the Droid for voice activated dialing from the headset. It is a Droid, or perhaps Android, problem.

OP
Anomander

Anomander

Reaction score

You will not have any problem with interference between phones. The headsets will have different bluetooth addresses. My wife and I both had Plantronics Voyager 510 and then both had Jabra BT8010 and never had any problems, as we shouldn't.

Voice activated dialing is another thing though. As far as I know, no headsets work with the Droid for voice activated dialing from the headset. It is a Droid, or perhaps Android, problem.
Thanks for that info. I remember reading about the droid/android voice activating dialing problem. I was assuming each headset would have it's own address, but was not sure. I have a Plantronics 510 I use for my PS3.

Danthok

Reaction score

FYI The 510 is on sale for $40 as Fry's this week. I know it is a little outdated but I cannot bring myself to spend $120 on a bluetooth headset.

OP
Anomander

Anomander

Reaction score

FYI The 510 is on sale for $40 as Fry's this week. I know it is a little outdated but I cannot bring myself to spend $120 on a bluetooth headset.
Amazon has the 520 (in blue) for $31 and the black one for $41. I got one of each since I'm sure she will want the black one.

Danthok

Reaction score

Amazon has the 520 (in blue) for $31 and the black one for $41. I got one of each since I'm sure she will want the black one.

Oh I see I was thinking of the Voyager PRO. The 520 looks nice.

OP
Anomander

Anomander

Reaction score
Oh I see I was thinking of the Voyager PRO. The 520 looks nice.
Yea, I can't justify and do not see the point on expensive headsets since I know we will not be using them that much. Just need something for driving and that is it. We don't usually talk and drive on the phone anyways.

ThermalGuy

Reaction score

I've been using the Voyager 520 for a year or so. It works fine, even pairs with my Skype on my HP Tablet. The only issue is the crappy earpiece rubber thing falls off. Crappy design. Can't get a new earpiece from Plantronics so I just glued it back on. So far, so good.

THE DROID DOES NOT HAVE TRUE "HANDS FREE" DIALING FROM THE BT HEADSET. (like every other POS phone does. The BT stack is missing that component for some reason. MAJOR FAIL! You still need to initiate it by holding the damn phone, swiping the unlock, holding down on the microphone icon in the search, trying voice search for the contact (which is crappy, never works). THEN it will switch to the BT headset for the call. :mad: ILLEGAL HERE IN CA AS WELL.

OP
Anomander

Anomander

Reaction score

I've been using the Voyager 520 for a year or so. It works fine, even pairs with my Skype on my HP Tablet. The only issue is the crappy earpiece rubber thing falls off. Crappy design. Can't get a new earpiece from Plantronics so I just glued it back on. So far, so good.

THE DROID DOES NOT HAVE TRUE "HANDS FREE" DIALING FROM THE BT HEADSET. (like every other POS phone does. The BT stack is missing that component for some reason. MAJOR FAIL! You still need to initiate it by holding the damn phone, swiping the unlock, holding down on the microphone icon in the search, trying voice search for the contact (which is crappy, never works). THEN it will switch to the BT headset for the call. :mad: ILLEGAL HERE IN CA AS WELL.
Hopefully this will get that fixed.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, no headsets work with the Droid for voice activated dialing from the headset.
Only BT devices with built-in voice dialing like the Blueant Q1 (or the BT in my fiancee's Nissan Rogue) do.

OP
Anomander

Anomander

Reaction score
My wifes and I Plantronics Voyager 520 came in today for our Droids. Very easy to sync with the Droid and after a couple hours of charging the headset we are good to go. Have been wearing it off and on and it is pretty darn comfortable and fits pretty good in my ear. Since we are unable to do hands free dialing at this point (come on update) I have some direct dials numbers ready to go. I think I am going to be happy with this purchase. The price was pretty good and hopefully the call quality will be fine. At least now I am legal in my state to talk and drive.

Rocky

Reaction score
As far as I know, no headsets work with the Droid for voice activated dialing from the headset.
Only BT devices with built-in voice dialing like the Blueant Q1 (or the BT in my fiancee's Nissan Rogue) do.
Really?! I didn't know that. I though there's just no hands-free dialing with Droid. I gotta get me one of those... and spend another big buck.

Regards,
Rocky

metalmissionary

Reaction score
pairing

hi i've got a plantronics explorer 320 & i can't get it to pair with my phone any suggestions?