1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Bluetooth for Helmets

Discussion in 'Android Accessories' started by goosepilot, Mar 13, 2010.

1. goosepilot

goosepilot New Member

Anyone use a bluetooth for motorcycle helmet? What brand/model works the best?
  2. cyber3d

cyber3d New Member

Only way to go is Cardo Scala Rider. Good mic and noise cancellation. I have two mic/mounts for each helmet and one Bluetooth unit.
  3. ldimick

ldimick New Member

Best there is!
  4. cuskit

cuskit New Member

+2 on the Cardo Scala! You won't regret these - they work awesome! Best on the market! :) mike
  5. ronhawker

ronhawker New Member

Droid Bluetooth for the helmet

I have been using the Chatterbox Xbi for the last couple of years. Works really well and has good stereo sound. I used it first with a Blackberry Curve and now with the Droid. My wife and I have used serveral including Autocom and like the Chatterbox the best.

It has good sound through the Droid; takes calls; place call and hears the turn by turn. A good interface.

Functions lacking that I would like is the ability to have intercom and music at the same time. The Chatterbox HC50 has that but it is a wired interlink as opposed to the bluetooth the Xbi has. The new XBi2 also has bike to bike. I don't have a need for that really. I do have a couple of those in older models for dirt biking.

The dial out on the phone works as dialing out the last number called. A limitation but as the Droid improves I should be able to do voice dialing soon so no worries.
  6. crf69

crf69 New Member

cardo scala rider q2 and garmin zumo 550 paired to my droid===FLAWLESS!!!!!!!!
  7. siman00

siman00 New Member

The Autocom is hard to beat. Not cheap, but works great.
  8. wakers3

wakers3 New Member

Just picked up the ScalaRider FM. Phone function when paired with the Droid is perfect, my SO says that she can't even tell that I am on a motorcycle, even when I am at speed.

The only thing I would like to solve for is to output NAV and Music to the Scala using bluetooth. The Scala only wants to handle calls tho. I have a handlebar mount for the Droid and being able to hook up the sound for Nav would be sweet.

I was hoping to be able to go into settings and select to output all sound to the Scala device, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

Anybody have any thoughts?
  9. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

One of aspects of motorcycle riding I most cherish is that no one can call me and I don't have to talk to anyone, including my dear wife. :)

However, I do use a set of wired Shure E3c earphones that fit into my ears under my helmet. They serve the dual purpose of being excellent sound isolating earplugs and providing extraordinary fidelity for my tunes. And while that solution doesn't allow me to make to take calls, when I'm playing music on the Droid it does let me know I've received a call.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  10. shobe

shobe Member

You might also check this out. It's an O'Neal helmet with bluetooth built in. Not sure how it works, but a helmet for under $300 with it sounds like it's worth trying.
  11. goosepilot

goosepilot New Member

My main use will be in an airplane. I need one that has a 2.5 or 3.5 jack for the speaker/mic so I can plug my helmet in to use its speakers/mic. It looks like that will eliminate the cardo scala types. It looks like the chatterbox and midland ones use a 2.5 or 3.5 jack. Would also like vox so I don't have to take hand or eye off of flying tasks. DC would be nice so I can just leave it plugged in.
    Anyone else have experience with the chatterbox or midland or others that have a 2.5/3.5 jack?
  12. ldimick

ldimick New Member

I used to use the Chartterbox bike to bike ones that they sold 5 or 6 years ago. The Chatterbox quality was so bad that I will never look at buying any of their products again. I had three different units fail. I live about 10 miles from their HQ so I took them to them directly to replace. Both times I went there there were at least 3 people ahead of me for the same reason. The battery life was disappointing. I was lucky to be able to use them for 6 hours before the battery died.
  13. shobe

shobe Member

I've used Chatterbox for a few years and the VOX is really worthless. Then again, I've been on a motorcycle and the mic sensitivity caught everything so it was constantly in "talk" mode. One thing that the Chatterbox does have is a cable that connects to a remote "push to talk" button that you can put on your thumb to press when you want to talk. I've never tried to use the Chatterbox while plugged in, but I'm pretty sure it will work.
  14. plongson

plongson New Member

+1 on the Scala Rider. Only unit I've owned, but it works so good, I never looked elsewhere.

SCALA USERS... I can only RECEIVE and cannot dial out using BLUETOOTH with my Droid. Are you in the same boat?? I understand it is a BT/Droid issue...True??

Also...Can you BT music from Droid to SCALA??
  15. shobe

shobe Member

I can't imagine why not. All you would need to do is go into settings / wireless and network settings / Bluetooth settings then long press the paired device, select options and select both phone and media.
  16. plongson

plongson New Member

Great idea! I'm going to give it a try right now...I'll report back.
  17. plongson

plongson New Member

No luck...All I could get is the phone via BT. No music and no navigation via BT. There was also no MEDIA option under long press on the phone...
  18. crf69

crf69 New Member

not one single issue with mine......but i dial out using a garmin zumo550 with my droid and scala
  19. Bimmerjo

Bimmerjo New Member

Is there anyway to manually force media to the Scala? I LOOOOVE my Q2, but if I can't get it to stream Pandora, then I'm going to sell it. I hate using headphones as the bike is my main form of transportation all year around (even when its in the negatives.) So this is a lot of riding (and unplugging/plugging in headphones!!)
  20. plongson

plongson New Member

I was never able to stream music to the SCALA via BT. I don't think it can be done. Even if it could, and if the FM music is any indication of what it would sound like, we're not missing much. Phone and intercom quality is superb, music not so much...
Search tags for this page

android motorcycle helmet

best bluetooth for motorcycle helmets

bluetooth for helmets

bluetooth helmet android

bluetooth helmet razr maxx

bluetooth motorcycle helmet android

bluetooth scala android

cardo scala android

chatterbox xbi samsung s4

galaxy s4 using bluetooth to output to helmet

how do you pair a samsung galaxy s3 to a zumo 550