Bluetooth File Transfer w/ Mac

pri8bob

Reaction score
I was having this same problem. I wanted to transfer images from my Motorola Droid to my MacBook Pro. They paired easily, but each time I told the image to send, it ended in error, or just wasn't sending. In the end, I gave up turned off my bluetooth on my Droid. But then, and I can't remember why, I turned it back on, and suddenly my Mac starts receiving the files (a few copies because I kept trying). I didn't have bluetooth sharing on before I paired, and that might have been the problem. I just tried sending more files, and things are working now. Both directions.

My settings:
On my Mac:
"Bluetooth Sharing": on (obviously)
"When receiving items": Accept and Save (so you don't have to accept each time)
"Require Pairing": checked (so only your devices can send you files, wanted with above setting)
All other settings on your Mac bluetooth sharing shouldn't affect sending files.
I didn't do anything special on my Droid.

So if at first you don't succeed, try turning off your bluetooth on your phone, turn it back on, and hopefully things will work for you like they did for me. You'll probably have a better try if your bluetooth sharing is on before you try and share.

olddroidguy

Reaction score
Bluetooth file transfer

I also struggled with bluetooth file transfer between my Mac and the Droid Incredible. It kept showing that it was paired but not connected, and when I sent a file from the Mac to the DI, it timed out.

I could easily mount the two memories on the Mac desktop if I used the USB connection, as long as I switched the setting for Default Connection Type under Connect to PC to "Disk Only". Then I could drag and drop files between the two machines.

But that was inconvenient because the phone was, in effect, tethered to the desktop machine. Plus I felt the Bluetooth capability should work, as I had no trouble with my Bluetooth ear piece and the built-in hands-free in my Prius.

I found out that I could leave the Disk Only setting in place and it didn't affect charging the phone or any other use of it, and in fact, when the phone was hooked to the USB port on my Mac, it was charging even as I was transferring files!

I then went into the Advanced Settings under Bluetooth and discovered that FTP Server was unchecked. I turned that on, and everything began to work properly.

I also discovered that I could click on the Bluetooth Icon in the top line of my Mac display and Browse the Droid Incredible's files, enabling me to send files back and forth.

All in all, quite an education in the two weeks since I've had the Droid Incredible.

justinfi

Reaction score
I just transferred a picture from Photo Booth over to my phone. All I did was paired my Droid to my macbook. Then from the top bar on my macbook I clicked on send file and selected my droid and I accepted the file transfer on my Droid and it worked perfectly.

LS&N

Reaction score
I am another one who got it to connect one time for one picture and never again

I took the advice for Bluetooth File Transfer by Medieval Software and it worked first time and I moved several pics perfectly

Thanks for the tip!

jgtropical

Reaction score
Thanks for the info - this fixed the issue. You also have to pair it again after turning on the share

NYoung

Reaction score
I was having the same problem.

Took jmiller's advice and got the app Bluetooth File Transfer by Medieval Software! It works great now!

Redneckeck

Reaction score
Sending music from my mac to my droid

This worked for me last night. But woke up this morning to add another song to my droid and it didn't work. I've unpaired it and paired it again about a dozen times now but still get an error message.

LS&N

Reaction score
Grateful for the help I have received here to make my old droid play nicer with my mac

Now that verizon has the iphone, so do I
No going back...

gopherLG

Reaction score
Mac Sharing Preferences

My phone also would not transfer files to my mac but I had no problem sending files from my mac to my phone. I found that my problem was simply I didn't have Bluetooth Sharing enabled on my mac. Go to System Preferences >> Sharing >> Enable Bluetooth Sharing (just click the box).

Another thing that helped, I created a new folder in my Downloads folder on my mac and titled it "Bluetooth Downloads" and redefined the incoming Bluetooth path to it. To do so, first open Finder >> go to your Downloads folder >> right click >> create new folder, title it whatever you want. Then, from the Sharing Preference screen above (System Preferences >> Sharing >> Bluetooth Sharing) make sure Bluetooth Sharing is selected and change "Folder For Accepted Items" to your new folder.