Bluetooth adapters, what do you think of these?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Matth3w, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    All I want to be able to do is transfer files wirelessly between my PC and my phone and my phone and my laptop. I don't care about any other features, and I won't use it terribly often, which is why I am trying to go the somewhat cheaper route.

What do you think of these?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=AFKOP7NLQRN3Z&v=glance (for my laptop so I don't lose it easily)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A311FDP5Z7JF7F&v=glance (for my desktop to leave plugged in)

#1 Matth3w, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2010
  2. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    #2 KZIWarrior, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  3. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I dunno, I figured someone would suggest WiFi....if I have it set up to WiFi tether you would think I could easily set up WiFi file transfer, but I really don't mind just spending the money and using Bluetooth File Transfer to be honest, especially if there are no "steps" involved. I like no steps.

4. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    the file transfer will be the same whether you use BT or wi-fi. If you want the least "steps" than use that Moto portal thread. All the BT does is make you have to buy (and have) extra equipment for no real purpose.

Besides BT is SLOW... the 'theoretical' (meaning faster than you'll ever see) of BT 2.0 is only 3 Mps. So for anything really substantial (i.e. media) it's will be painful to transfer things. Not to mention you'll be more limited to what/how you can transfer in the future (i.e. what programs you can use).

#4 KZIWarrior, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  5. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps I missed it while scanning over the article but I didn't see how you could connect to a desktop that is hard wired into the wireless router. One of my laptops is WiFi, the other and the desktop are both hard wired in.

Either way I'm going to download and try it.

6. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Call me stupid as well, but I don't see a link to download the PC portion...

7. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Can I just transfer things like apk files from the computer to the phone via wifi?

EDIT: NM, I just want to transfer apk files and stuff to my SD card and stuff via the computer. I *might* once every 12 months use the picture transfer feature, but there isn't a single other feature of that program that I am interested in.

So anyhow, how about that BT device?

#7 Matth3w, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2010
  8. Corinacakes

Corinacakes Super Moderator
    Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +3
    I agree with kzi about the slow part with bt..what is it you're wanting to transfer?

9. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Simple things. Mostly APK files. ROMs, etc. Nothing like movies or music collections that would take an infinite amount of time to transfer. I use an Archos 5 for my movies.

10. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, it doesn't matter. You're laptop and phone don't (on wifi) talk 'directly' to each other they use your wifi network (i.e. your router) so your desktop will still see the phone (and vice versa).

d/l
    The links in your OP aren't working.

11. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, try it now :)

Maybe I'll still try the FTP.

12. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2