BlueAnt v1 Bluetooth problem

mynameiserich

Reaction score
Is anyone else using this BT headset with their droid?? MOST times I connect to a call it gets all staticy for a short period but usually subsides before the call is connected. Although numerous times when people call me it connects and is just complete static and won't go away until i turn BT off on my phone.

Any help out there?

Thanks

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I use blueant q1 and its great. maybe u need to update your firmware?

OP
M

mynameiserich

Reaction score
No I haven't updated yet...do I find this on their site?? I am using the V1

Ren

Reaction score
BlueAnt Q1 and BT in General on the Droid not working well

Merry Xmas and Happy Holidays to all:

I've been unable to find a working solution for my Droid's poor receive audio:

I travel a great deal each day on the road - Vehicle is a large van 2009

The receive audio using a Bluetooth earpiece is 80% unintelligible - I wish this was not the case - I really like my Droid!

The situation:

Long time customer of Verizon Wireless - Many phones over the years - most of them Motorola

Tried Five (5) different Bluetooth earpieces and now on the Sixth/Seventh

First three were Motorola BT's, next two Jabra - each of the five are different models

Result from the above Five units - Audio level too low to properly hear while driving.

After reviewing thousands of messages on the various boards focusing on the Droid, I came across a discussion referencing a BT earpiece called the 'BlueAnt Q1'. This marvel of technology, while a bit pricey, claimed the ability to allow hands free operation of the Droid. Up to eight (8) speed dial numbers can be stored in the unit - Play steaming Audio A2DP - Voice answer incoming calls and more. Not bad as an interim solution till out friends with V.G. & M. implement true hands free services!

To my amazement the amount of audio produced by the Q1 in my ear is nice and loud compared to all of the other units I tried.

Note I now have two Q1's and they both produce the same results....

Most unfortunately, the majority of calls are for the most part unintelligible and seem to worsen over time on each call made or received. Robotic, rumble and overly compressed. Sounds very clipped.

As I communicate with my wife and co-workers, I find that I am asking them to repeat what they are saying more often then not. Certainly frustrating for both parties.

I have the latest firmware installed on the Q1 (8.19) My droid is running 2.01

I have tried the BlueAnt Q1 on a friends Droid who lives in another town with the same poor result....

Tried the Q1 on two other regular Motorola flip phones. The receive & transmit audio was excellent - Also tried the Q1 on my wife's LG and the audio was again perfect.

Tried all three Vocoder settings 13K, EVRC and EVRC-B with the same result poor result.
Tried Privacy on and off no difference.

Spoke with BlueAnt customer support twice and they indicated Motorola has a problem with Bluetooth in the Droid.

Very frustrating on my end....

Anyone found a usable solution? Make, model & result?

Is this just an issue that I have or do all droid users using BT earpieces experience the same thing?

A couple of my friends have built-in car BT systems and they seem to work ok for them - I have to use an ear piece BT in and out of the vehicle to accomplish my daily tasks. Just tried to speak to my wife last evening while in Costco and could not understand the majority of what she said. She tried three wireless (non-cellular) phones in our home, a standard wired phone and the her cell - nothing helped with the Droid and BT poor audio.

Does Moto and the other gang of two know about this issue - Are they going to fix this?

Regards,

Ren

mpowelloh

Reaction score
Same problems with Droid and Blueant V1

Hello I am trying to use the Blueant V1 BT headset with firmware 5.3 (as far as I know this is the latest version). I have the same problem lots of static / hissing when i try to use the headset to either receive or make calls. I have reported this problem to BlueAnt tech support and I received a reply that they are aware of claims that there are problems but it is not yet known if its a Blueant V1 problem or a Droid problem and no ETA on a fix.

I hope they fix it the V1 is a nice headset!

OP
M

mynameiserich

Reaction score
Yeah, I think I am going to end up having to return the headset. It's too bad because otherwise this is the best headset I have ever used.

OP
M

mynameiserich

Reaction score
I guess it must be a problem with the V1. The others models seem to work fine, but I've read other people having the same problem with the V1. I guess a return is my only option since I can't find any resolutions or anything.

OP
M

mynameiserich

Reaction score
What are peoples experiences with the q1? Does it also use voice commands? Is there a way to disable if droid eventually supports bt voice commands? If highly recommended I will buy this.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i highly recommend q1 :D yes it does voice commands. you can also hear yur media thru it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ditto recommendations on the Q1. I've had no hissing, static, none of this.

To answer a previous question you update by registering at the web site and then downloading the update program on to a PC. This is not a Mac program and I can't seem to get VMware to recognize that the headset is plugged in (I am using a UPS adapter so that could be why). Fortunately I also have a PC so I was able to do the update. I only mention this to make sure that anyone with a Mac alone is aware of this before purchasing.

soba1

Reaction score
Is anyone else using this BT headset with their droid?? MOST times I connect to a call it gets all staticy for a short period but usually subsides before the call is connected. Although numerous times when people call me it connects and is just complete static and won't go away until i turn BT off on my phone.

Any help out there?

Thanks

I am glad I found this I bought the V1, and I had the same issues.
I say just find another BT. I bought mine from a VZ 4G Retailer,
they didn't have anymore so they exchanged it for a motorola
h17. Which I have to say for the most part is awesome. Noise reduction
is just as good if not better than the the V1, jawbone prime, & plantronics. Also the talk time is 5hrs. I have better success with
the in ear ear pieces. I was talking with a friend and they said out of all
the ear pieces u have had u sound the best on this one.
So there u have it the Moto H17. Charge time super fast, it also has
voice prompts everytime u turn it on it will let u know the status
of your battery.
Last thing it could be a pain maybe not when u turn it on if it is not paired
it will automatically go into pairing mode. The of it is if u turn it on while your phone is off it will go into pairing mode until you turn your phone on.
But great BT with great volume and comfort especially if u use the in ear ear buds.
May still try the Blue Ant Q1 just cause I get bored..... :icon_ devil:

OP
M

mynameiserich

Reaction score
I think ill go with the q1 since I do like the voice commands. One question is though if the droid releases bluetooth commands will the headset allow to use those commands as a default instead? That is one of my concerns.

Ren

Reaction score
Q1 and Audio

Hi Folks,

First I am very interested in Corinacakes response regarding the Q1 and hope I can speak with him in greater detail.

To answer a few of the questions posed with regard to the Q1, I'll share some of my experiences as follows:

I have two (2) Q1's and they both function in the same manner - they have been both updated via software firmware update to version 8.19

When receiving an incoming call via the Droid the Q1 will announce the calling parties phone number in your earpiece and then give you the option to answer the call or ignore the call. This is entirely hands free with no button presses at all! Works Great.

To make a call using the Q1 you first setup speed dials (up to eight (8) ) of them.

Step 1 You must receive a call from the number that you wish to use in your speed dial (Q1 paired with your Droid) following the initial call and after you disconnect you can then perform a specific button press on the Q1 which will verbally walk you through storing the last calling number into its speed dial memory. Note you do not use the Droid contact list or any controls on the Droid to do this.

The Speed Dials are stored within the Q1 as Speed Dial Numbers i.e. Speed Dial 1, 2, 3 ... 8

When you make a speed dial call out with your Q1/Droid you simply click the BT button on the side of the Q1 and tell it what you want to do!! i.e. 'Call Speed Dial 3' Works very well.

Additionally the Q1 has a number of other commands that you can interact with via voice i.e. Check battery status - reads back Q1 and Droid's battery status etc.

All in all, the Q1 feature and functions are the best I have come across so far and they work darn well. Noise cancelling out towards the called or calling party works superbly I'm told....

However, I have tried the Q1's on two Droid's, my own and a close friends.

In both cases the audio I hear in the Q1 earpiece and 80% unintelligible while driving or shopping in a store. Now if that can be resolved the Q1 would be the ticket until Droid is updated with true BT hands free application.

Another question I read in this thread is what happens when Droid is fully BT hands free enabled.

MY best guess is that the Q1 will work just fine - one of the voice commands in the Q1 suggest that it will allow the Q1 to utilize the phones BT hands free command set should it exist. What we don't know is if a new software firmware update will be required specifically for the Droid. BlueAnt seems to be on top of those issues as they occur.

Regards,
Ren

ps Corinacakes could we talk on the phone? I could really use your help to test & hopefully determine why the audio is so troubling.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
howdy ren :D first of all im a girl lol. second of all i aint a very smart one :rofl3: all i know is the q1 sounds great for me and does everything i want. i DO however have the cell phone number for the owner of blueant and he's wicked nice. he'll walk you through each and every problem. hookbill seems alot more knowledgeable about this crap than me so maybe if you dont wanna call jack you can talk to him lol ;) thanks hook. ren i'll private message you the cell phone number for Jack :D