BlueAnt Q1 - Lots of Audio issues with Droid

Ren

Reaction score
Merry Xmas and Happy Holidays to all:

I've been unable to find a working solution for my Droid's poor receive audio:

I travel a great deal each day on the road - Vehicle is a large van 2009

The receive audio using a Bluetooth earpiece is 80% unintelligible - I wish this was not the case - I really like my Droid!

The situation:

Long time customer of Verizon Wireless - Many phones over the years - most of them Motorola

Tried Five (5) different Bluetooth earpieces and now on the Sixth

First three were Motorola BT's, next two Jabra - each of the five are different models

Result from the above Five units - Audio level too low to properly hear while driving.

After reviewing thousands of messages on the various boards focusing on the Droid, I came across a discussion referencing a BT earpiece called the 'BlueAnt Q1'. This marvel of technology, while a bit pricey, claimed the ability to allow hands free operation of the Droid. Up to eight (8) speed dial numbers can be stored in the unit - Play steaming Audio A2DP - Voice answer incoming calls and more. Not bad as an interim solution till out friends with V.G. & M. implement true hands free services!

To my amazement the amount of audio produced by the Q1 in my ear is nice and loud compared to all of the other units I tried.

Most unfortunately, the majority of calls are for the most part unintelligible and seem to worsen over time on each call made or received. Robotic, rumble and overly compressed. Sounds very clipped.

As I communicate with my wife and co-workers, I find that I am asking them to repeat what they are saying more often then not. Certainly frustrating for both parties.

I have the latest firmware installed on the Q1 (8.19) My droid is running 2.01

I have tried the BlueAnt Q1 on a friends Droid who lives in another town with the same poor result....

Note I have two Q1's with same results....

Tried the Q1 on two other regular Motorola flip phones. The receive & transmit audio was excellent - Also tried the Q1 on my wife's LG and the audio was again perfect.

Tried all three Vocoder settings 13K, EVRC and EVRC-B with the same result poor result.
Tried Privacy on and off no difference.

Spoke with BlueAnt customer support twice and they indicated Motorola has a problem with Bluetooth in the Droid.

Very frustrating on my end....

Anyone found a usable solution? Make, model & result?

Is this just an issue that I have or do all droid users using BT earpieces experience the same thing?

A couple of my friends have built-in car BT systems and they seem to work ok for them - I have to use an ear piece BT in and out of the vehicle to accomplish my daily tasks. Just tried to speak to my wife last evening while in Costco and could not understand the majority of what she said. She tried three wireless (non-cellular) phones in our home, a standard wired phone and the her cell - nothing helped with the Droid and BT poor audio.

Does Moto and the other gang of two know about this issue - Are they going to fix this?

Regards,

Ren

Reaction score
I have the Jabra bt530. Nice and loud. Plays my music through it. Only problem. It is damn uncomfortable to wear. Really uncomfortable.

zero7404

Reaction score
i have a Blueant V1 and am experiencing white noise/static and some strange sounds when i make/receive calls while connected to the Droid. i didn't have any issues with the headset while using it with my Storm. so i'd think it's the Droid. i will try out the Jabra SP200 some time this week and see if i get similar issues.

although i'm new to Android, as a power smartphone user, this OS is not very polished.....Android is a proprietary OS and offered on phones by all carriers, it should be more trouble-free than it is.....