blue tooth ear piece question

ToddClark

Reaction score
Hopefully this is in the correct forum, and someone will be able to answer.

Here's the deal. Ive always used a Motorola over the ear blue tooth device on all my phones. I hate holding the phone to my ear while driving, not only is it dangerous, but its just a general pain in the a$$.

So i now have the droid. purchased one of the latest/greatest motorola blue tooth over the ear devices and paired it with my Droid. Now, here's the dilemma:

All my other phones, you could just touch the ear piece, and you would hear: SAY A COMMAND, at which point, you simply said "CALL insert contact here. Of course, most of the time the phone would simply say back the name you just did, and you would say YES, and it would dial the contact.

The Droid doesnt do that, at least not for me. Im able to click the voice dial icon, and say the contact name, but its not using the blue tooth device to hear me, its using the phone itself, and of course, if its mounted to my car mount which is stuck to the windshield, half the time it doesnt hear me correctly. Am i missing something, or is this just the nature of the Droid and it doesnt "talk/listen" thru the blue tooth device the way normal phones do? Once its dialed the contact number, then yea, it comes thru my earpiece, but its aggravating as hell to not be able to issue the command via the earpiece.

Last edited:

Droid_Junky

Reaction score
Unfortunately that feature doesn't work on the Droid. There are lots of complaints on the Google Droid issues page. Hopefully they will correct this for us.

Nick177th

Reaction score
Hopefully this is in the correct forum, and someone will be able to answer.

Here's the deal. Ive always used a Motorola over the ear blue tooth device on all my phones. I hate holding the phone to my ear while driving, not only is it dangerous, but its just a general pain in the a$$.

So i now have the droid. purchased one of the latest/greatest motorola blue tooth over the ear devices and paired it with my Droid. Now, here's the dilemma:

All my other phones, you could just touch the ear piece, and you would hear: SAY A COMMAND, at which point, you simply said "CALL insert contact here. Of course, most of the time the phone would simply say back the name you just did, and you would say YES, and it would dial the contact.

The Droid doesnt do that, at least not for me. Im able to click the voice dial icon, and say the contact name, but its not using the blue tooth device to hear me, its using the phone itself, and of course, if its mounted to my car mount which is stuck to the windshield, half the time it doesnt hear me correctly. Am i missing something, or is this just the nature of the Droid and it doesnt "talk/listen" thru the blue tooth device the way normal phones do? Once its dialed the contact number, then yea, it comes thru my earpiece, but its aggravating as hell to not be able to issue the command via the earpiece.

It's not you. And you're not missing anything. The Droid has voice command dialing (through Bluetooth) "disabled" for some reason.
I love this phone but, that is the most idiotic thing I have ever seen in a phone. This is my first smartphone and it can't do what any basic "dumb" phone can do. someone posted the script (may be using the wrong word) of the Android 2.0 platform and you can clearly see that it is "disabled". Go figure. I can't figure that out for the life of me. This function is not a bell or whistle. This is a serious safety feature and it is disabled. Wow!

OP
ToddClark

ToddClark

Reaction score
wow! if thats the case, then thats the first thing ive found i dislike about this thing, and yea, thats seriously f'd up. I agree with ya, Nick, thats a damn safety issue if nothing else. The whole idea behind the bluetooth ear piece is HANDS FREE driving. If i have to look down, and even so much as push the "one touch" i have set up for a contact, thats still taking my eyes/concentration off the road. I only have 5 numbers set as "one touch" dialing, but have 375 contacts. That sucks that i cant just say the name. :mad:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is my first smartphone and it can't do what any basic "dumb" phone can do.
Well, as one who has used a few smartphones, let me warn you -- they all have one deficiency or another (or more than one).

Anomander

Reaction score
wow! if thats the case, then thats the first thing ive found i dislike about this thing, and yea, thats seriously f'd up. I agree with ya, Nick, thats a damn safety issue if nothing else. The whole idea behind the bluetooth ear piece is HANDS FREE driving. If i have to look down, and even so much as push the "one touch" i have set up for a contact, thats still taking my eyes/concentration off the road. I only have 5 numbers set as "one touch" dialing, but have 375 contacts. That sucks that i cant just say the name. :mad:
I agree, but you can also set up a quick dial option on your phone and with a push of a button it will dial your contact. I see no difference doing this vs pushing the button on my bluetooth headset. Either way you have to hit a button or the phone once.

plongson

Reaction score
I agree, but you can also set up a quick dial option on your phone and with a push of a button it will dial your contact. I see no difference doing this vs pushing the button on my bluetooth headset. Either way you have to hit a button or the phone once.

That is unless you have a hands free bluetooth in your motorcycle helmet, This is total BS to not have hands free on motodroid, I'm taking no prisoners here!!

Nick177th

Reaction score

The difference is, you don't have to take your eyes off the road to press the button on your Bluetooth. And a cop wont give you a ticket for pressing the button on your Bluetooth. But, he will for having your phone in your hand while driving trying to press a button.

Nick177th

Reaction score
a
This is my first smartphone and it can't do what any basic "dumb" phone can do.
Well, as one who has used a few smartphones, let me warn you -- they all have one deficiency or another (or more than one).

It's not even a deficiency. The function is disabled. That is crazy to me. It's all good til somebody rear ends somebody because they were looking at their phone. Honestly, I can bare to live without an aesthetic feature or two but, a safety feature? They (motor/android) is more worried about multi touch than a safety feature. Amazing! I know, I know. No one is forcing anyone to make call while driving. Lets be real though. How many of us DON'T make calls while driving?

wkwaggoner

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo 2
over in the moto forum there is a guy stating he can make BT calls through his car....and he has a MOTO DROID....my wife's eris does it perfectly.....he states tried it in friends cars and same result....voice comman "call" or "dial" and out it goes....now we've been hearing android doesn't support this, and yet my wife's htc droid does....so i'm going to talk to MB tomorrow about it and see if they have heard of, and found a way through their system....again her's does, and mine doesn't in her car and mine doesn't in mine which has the moto t501 on the visor....something missing that's right in our faces....i believe it's a handshake thing....would love to see all the info in his phone....seems like a regular guy so i'm leaning to belief here about him....this may be over very quickly if we compare oranges to oranges....certainly the forum has the tech ability to flow chart this and see where it stops and why his doesn't....i'll come back tomorrow with results I get from Mercedes....He is driving a 09 Mit Lancer....something different with his moto droid? what? i love this "can't be done stuff....and if anyone else out there can use the BT to place a outgoing call from either their headset or in-car set up, please let me know....many many can't....thank you all cu soon....

wkwaggoner

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo 2
....and in BT enabled vehicles, you usually have the buttons right on the steering wheel so you do not have to take your eyes off the road, and hands off the wheel....

OP
ToddClark

ToddClark

Reaction score
no BT enabled vehicle here. Just have the Motorola earpiece. Had to use it today on my way to the airport to pick up the wife, and it seems if you turn BT off of the phone when not using BT in order to save on battery life on the Droid, i had to go back into my settings and "find" the BT device again. What a royal pain in the a$$ to have to do that crap everytime i want to use the BT. :mad:

Technoman

Reaction score
no BT enabled vehicle here. Just have the Motorola earpiece. Had to use it today on my way to the airport to pick up the wife, and it seems if you turn BT off of the phone when not using BT in order to save on battery life on the Droid, i had to go back into my settings and "find" the BT device again. What a royal pain in the a$$ to have to do that crap everytime i want to use the BT. :mad:

There is no reason to continually turn bluetooth on and off. It really doesn't seem to use that much battery in stand-by mode. If you don't want to hunt down the options, you can add the "POWER WIDGET" (long press on a home screen - select widgets- and find "POWER"). There is a quick on/off button for Bluetooth, WIFI, Refresh, Brightness, and GPS on it.

OP
ToddClark

ToddClark

Reaction score

There is no reason to continually turn bluetooth on and off. It really doesn't seem to use that much battery in stand-by mode. If you don't want to hunt down the options, you can add the "POWER WIDGET" (long press on a home screen - select widgets- and find "POWER"). There is a quick on/off button for Bluetooth, WIFI, Refresh, Brightness, and GPS on it.
ive got that widget on the screen. hit the button to turn on the BT, and yea, it turned it on. But since it had been off, it doesnt appear to "remember" the device you paired with it, i tried. Once i went into settings and did the "find device", then and only then did it find my earpiece and start working with it.