Blu Ray Woes

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
So here's the setup. I have a massive DVD collection. Two years ago, I bought an HDTV, and with it came a Samsung DVD Upconverter. It died about 6 months in (skips, pauses, unresponsiveness), and I replaced it with a Samsung Blu-Ray Player (BD-P1600) to do BD and DVD upconversion.

Over the last 18 months, I've been through hell with this player. It's been returned to Samsung 3 times for various skipping, pausing, and artifacting problems. It does this with blu ray and DVD discs, at unpredictable intervals.

I was even to the point where I was going to throw it in the garbage and swear off Samsung players. I purchased and returned Sony and Panasonic BD players, simply because the DVD upconversion quality was nowhere near that of Samsung products. The images were much more grainy and blocky with the non-Samsung players.

About 6 months ago, I got a player that works.

Long story short, this player isnt working anymore. It's skipping, pausing, and doing it's old thing. I'm done with Samsung and it's crap quality.

What other BD player manufacturer has top notch DVD upconversion?

Thanks, all.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sorry about all your issues, have you tried a different hdmi cord, not that i really think that is your issue.

I use my PS3 and love it.:)

OP
LtKen

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Done the PS3 thing, DVD quality is lacking compared to the Samsung. HDMI cable cant be it, I've tried several.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
So you've tried players like a Sony BDP-S350 or the like? You might be better off getting a Upconverting DVD player for your DVDs and limit your Bluray player for Blurays...... your HDTV should be able to handle two or more HDMI connections, No?

I have both a PS3 and a Sony BDP-S360 player and both upconvert DVDs pretty decently. I also have a great upconverting DVD player, Sony DVP-NS700H, which I used to have hooked up to a 720p HDTV and it looked superb.....

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Done the PS3 thing, DVD quality is lacking compared to the Samsung. HDMI cable cant be it, I've tried several.

Then I stand corrected, I guess I never thought it would be much different till I updated to a 120hz+ TV.

I have a 60hz 50" Samsung LCD

OP
LtKen

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, tried the BDP-S360 and the DVD quality was very disappointed compared to the Samsung models.

Argh, it's skipping again.

Thanks anyway guys.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Too bad. I have a Sony BDP-N460 which seems to work well for me.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, tried the BDP-S360 and the DVD quality was very disappointed compared to the Samsung models.

Argh, it's skipping again.

Thanks anyway guys.

Too bad. I have a Sony BDP-N460 which seems to work well for me.
Yeah same here as aaf709, my Sony BDP-S360 'and' my PS3 both upconvert pretty great... so not sure what it about the Samsung player that is working for you where the Sony Bluray player didn't..... I had a terrible problem with a Samsung updonverting 'DVD' player, but have never tried a Sammy BD player so can't say.

Best of luck on figuring it out Bro...

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Did you eve try playing around with the settings of the non-Samsung BD players to see if that's where the issues might lie on them?

OP
LtKen

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I played with them for awhile. I cant explain it -- the picture quality on upconverted DVDs is just better with Samsung products (in my experience). Too bad their build quality is the pits.