Blocking Unwanted Calls On Android!

Discussion in 'Android News' started by DroidModderX, May 30, 2016.

1. DroidModderX

DroidModderX Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,235
    [​IMG]

Everyone gets those pesky telemarketing calls from time to time. Who knows how they get your number. They may have acquired it from a contest you entered online, from a craigslist posting, or some online service that secretly sold your info to a 3rd party. There are also those people who continue to call after you have made it clear you no longer wish to hear from them.

Android now has the ability to block calls natively. The process for blocking numbers is similar but different depending on the brand of phone.

Motorola
    -Open Contacts App
    -Select contact to block
    -tap menu
    -select "all calls and voicemail"

Samsung
    -Open Phone App
    -Select More
    -Go To Settings then Call Blocking
    -Add Numbers to Block

LG
    -Open Phone App
    -Tap Menu
    -Settings, Call Reject, Reject calls from
    -Tap the plus icon and add numbers

Nexus
    -Open Phone App
    -Go to call log
    -Select Number to block
    -Tap menu
    -Select add to reject list

HTC
    -Open Phone App
    -Go To Call History
    -Long-press a number from the list
    -Select Block contact or Block Caller

via DroidViews

• Like Like x 1
  2. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,714
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    My SO gets telemarketing calls & texts all the time. I've never received one since I started using smartphones 7+ years ago. (knock on wood) That said, I don't use Facebook and I run very lean when it comes to my apps. I've also never participated in contests, surveys, etc on any of my mobile devices. They always tell you "we won't share your personal information", but obviously that's BS.

3. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Silver Member

Ratings:
    +169
    One issue is that many telemarketers use VOIP systems which generate standard phone numbers from various area codes rather than 1-800 prefixes and often they can vary from call to call which is even more of an annoyance. Definitely do appreciate this being a native feature though, no longer requiring root and at times paid apps.

4. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,348
    I don't subscribe to any magazines. I found years ago they were the culprit of my spam calls on the home phone. My mother in law and dad subscribe(d) to them and get/got a plethora of calls every day.

Support Our Troops!!!
    Beast Mode 4
    <><

5. PereDroid

PereDroid DF News Team Reporter

Ratings:
    +3,902
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    I started getting one recently, once every week or two. Same guy calling trying to sell me a Home Security System. Every time I ask him to put me on his Do Not Call list. Every time he says he will. And he calls back a week or two later. It's almost comical now and of course now I mess with him. Acted interested the last time and then screamed at him "STOP CALLING ME YOU F!!!!"
    lol
    I was playing around with a 3rd party dialer called Drupe. It doesn't take over, it's more of a compliment to your existing dialer. Keep finding features it has. The last time he called I hung up on him and Drupe popped up and said "would you like to block this number?"
    Hmmm. So I did. Waiting to see what happens.

6. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,348
    National Do Not Call Registry

Support Our Troops!!!
    Beast Mode 4
    <><

7. hradek422

hradek422 Member

Ratings:
    +22
    The issue that you really run into, is that even though you block the calls, they can still leave you a voice message. I would like to be able to block the call and prevent them from leaving a VM without the use of an app. All the apps I've tried that claim they do this, don't actually work.

8. Amagine

Amagine Active Member

Ratings:
    +90
    I use Mr. Number. Which gives me the option of sending a spam call to VM or hanging up. Some semi-legit, but annoying calls (Red Cross, Verizon update.upgrade calls, Work -Just Kidding on that one ) I send to VM. Others I just hang up. It also checks a database for known spam on any unknown numbers.

9. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,045
    My guess is that native call blocking is a marshmallow feature? My lollipop doesn't have it :(

10. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,714
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    The app I mentioned earlier (Call Control) does exactly what you're looking for. It simply disconnects calls (and/or texts) on your blacklist and you'll never hear the phone ring. You can also set it up to leave an official sounding message saying "this number had been disconnected and is no longer in servIce", or set it up to block all "unknown/private" numbers, or all numbers from a specific area code, etc, etc.
    Check it out, I think you'll be happy with the amount of features this app has. It works really well.
    Good luck!

S5 tap'n

11. xsylus

xsylus Active Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Current Phone Model:
    Sony Xperia Z3
    I use the Mr. Number app on my Sony Z3. You can set it to block calls or send to voicemail. If a TM or unwanted call comes in you can simply review it in the app history, select it, and select to block it. For a long time I was getting calls from someone with a foreign accent asking for a person by name who wasn't me, and even when I told them that wasn't my name he would proceed to tell me I won some kind of lottery. Thanks to this app I don't get bothered with those anymore. There's usually the occasion one's saying I've been selected to go on a cruise or ones saying they can lower my debt. Ad nauseam.