Blocking OTA 2.1 update kills battery life

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Se7enLC, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This has been said a number of times, but I thought I would post this PicSay comment to drive the point home (and provide a few details):

[​IMG]

If you rename otacerts.zip, it doesn't prevent the over the air update from downloading - it just prevents the complete downloaded file from passing the security test. If the download doesn't pass the security test, it simply tries again. Over and over and over again, downloading a 15MB file, destroying your battery life.

The solution is to allow it to download, and even allow it to install. It will copy the downloaded file to /sdcard/update.zip, reboot into recovery and attempt to automatically install it. Luckily, SPRecovery now blocks update.zip installs by default. Just allowing it to ATTEMPT to install the OTA update is enough to make it stop downloading over and over again. As you can see by my battery graph, as soon as I was able to make it stop trying to update, the battery usage leveled off.

And before you ask - app is called Battery Graph, I used drocap2 to take the screenshot, and I used PicSay to add the captions to the picture.

2. DigiK

DigiK Member

Ratings:
    +0
    VERY interesting! I just checked my System Updater under BBv.9, and you're absolutely correct: it's downloading in the background continuously. This information should be passed along to the ROM devs ASAP to develop a more thorough update disable patcher.

3. Logan3824

Logan3824 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So wait...Then how do we stop it from continuously downloading??? I'm running BB.9 as well.

4. R1Lover

R1Lover Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    uhmmmmm just don't hit the update button silly lol

5. DigiK

DigiK Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Correction: BB v.9 seems to download once and present the user with an option to download again after completion. It doesn't automatically re-download.

6. kevdog

kevdog Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cool graph, however its just a battery usage graph. How do you know the spike in activity is related to wanting to download the OTA? I fail to see the proof on the graph.

7. powerwagon

powerwagon Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Yea, this is quite annoying...my Droid is just stuck on downloading. I even rebooted, but still downloading. That's enough to make me jump ship from bb .9 which is ashame b/c this has been the smoothest/quickest of all the rom's I have tried.

8. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Really? How would you propose that a battery graph show proof of anything but battery capacity remaining? :p You're going to have to take my word for it, that's the only thing I did with the phone out of the ordinary that night.

Do you see how sharp that initial drop is? There's no way I could have accidentally used the droid that heavily. Even heavy web browsing won't do that. I had noticed the repeating-downloads earlier in the day when it was plugged in. I unplugged it when it was charged at 100% and went to the gym (left the phone sitting in a locker not doing anything). It was around the time that I marked that I re-downloaded otacerts.zip, put it back in the correct place, and let it finish downloading.

I would run a more controlled experiment, but since I already "installed" the update, it's not going to send it again.

In any case - it makes SENSE that downloading a 15MB file over and over again would kill your battery. I'm just urging people who don't know about it to open up the system update menu to check and see what is up. If it shows something in the middle of downloading, you probably didn't just happen to catch it at the exact moment that it was downloading - it's probably just one of many times it has tried. Let it sit and watch that progress bar - see if it goes back down to zero and starts over.

I should also add a note - I did NOT click the download button. I did click the "system update" option in settings to see if the update was there, but I never saw it listed. Also, I never saw any notification about it (I'm guessing that the notification only comes once it has finished downloading, which it will never do, since it just keeps "failing" and retrying since the otacerts.zip file was missing).

9. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's the same ROM I am running - but I'm on an earlier version, still (0.7 - I didn't see anything worth updating for in 0.8 and 0.9, and I really don't like the cytown dialer)

If you want to try what I did, here's more detailed instructions:

1). Download otacerts.zip from this thread:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/35179-rooted-2-1-getting-2-1-ota-notification.html

2). put it in /system/etc/security (you'll need to be root for that part)

3). let the download finish. I think I rebooted to make sure, not sure if it's needed. This time you'll get a notification asking you if you want to install now or later. Pick "now"

4). Droid will reboot, go into recovery, and IMMEDIATELY start to install. Scared me pretty good, but then SPRecovery will say "install update.zip blocked, install failed" or something like that. Go back out of the install menu and hit reboot.

5). Phone boots back up like normal, system update screen shows "up to date" now, no more automatic downloading.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  10. beneharris

beneharris Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i can't get the file to move into system//etc/security.

i also dont know for sure whether it is downloading or not, it shows the update in my system update tab, and gives me the option to download, but i don't know whether it is actually downloading or not. i have noticed a decrease in battery though..

11. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You need to use either a root file explorer or the terminal to put it there.

> su
    > cp /sdcard/download/otacerts.zip /system/etc/security

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that decreased battery life is caused by this downloading unless you've seen it downloading. Perhaps the download is so fast that it's hard to catch - I only noticed it at work, where I have very poor signal (15mb could take hours or timeout).

12. beneharris

beneharris Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, i wass using andexplorer and a few others, but none of them would copy the file. ill use the code, im sure that would work :) thanks

13. Phillipsave

Phillipsave Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is from Camel, Developer of DrodMod, on Droidmod.org:

I thought I would post some clarification about the 2.1 OTA update, since there is a shockingly large amount of misinformation being spread throughout the community. If you are running DroidMod, you should accept the 2.1 update. The phone will reboot in to recovery, and SPRecovery will block the update outright. Even if you are not running SPRecovery, there’s really nothing to worry about, because the pre-install checks internal to the update will fail, and the update will not be applied anyways.
    Many people have been renaming otacerts.zip to stop the notification from appearing, so I’d like to address that. Renaming otacerts.zip will indeed stop the notifications from being presented to you, but it does so by breaking the updater mechanism in a way that makes it think that the update file is corrupt. This will cause it to re-download the update file indefinitely, which will severely impact your battery life. This is why we didn’t remove the file from the ROM entirely.
    So, to put it simply, if you are running any non-stock ROM at all, you can safely “accept” the 2.1 update to stop the notifications; the update will not be able to patch the modified system files, and will not make any changes to your phone.

14. dynomite1371

dynomite1371 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

Now that's what I wanted to hear. Im a droid mod fan and had no clue why this stuff was popping. I just keep hitting "later". So now do I wait for another notification and accept it. Or Do I go into to the system, update, find it and accept it that way. I have not got a reminder for several hours. By I feel them lurking........ Thanks droid mod you guys rock!

15. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The post before yours is 100% correcet and what I was saying on the first post. If you are seeing the notification that says now or later, that means it finished downloading and won't download over and over. You can either keep saying later, or say now and let sprecovery block it.

Search tags for this page
battery download ota
otacerts and battery life
picsay ota
releasekey.x509.pem
releasekey.x509.pem - hack

systemupdater.apk

updates droid x battery problems back up assistant