blockbuster.apk on anything else (besides x?)

javapop

Reaction score
anyone get this to open? Just curious, downloaded apk; renamed and removed the .zip; loaded installer; but installation failed....

▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
▄▄▄▄▄████████████

malsbury

Reaction score
anyone get this to open? Just curious, downloaded apk; renamed and removed the .zip; loaded installer; but installation failed....

I downloaded this: BLOCKBUSTER.apk

It installed just fine and seemed to work well on my Droid 1. I no longer have an active Blockbuster account so I was limited in what I could test out. I was just more curious to see what it was it was capable of.

OP
J

javapop

Reaction score
How e exactly did ou install it? using astro?

OP
J

javapop

Reaction score
Thank you!
That worked, I must have had a bad link the first time.

OP
J

javapop

Reaction score
Got it to load, I noticed that Advanced Task Killer doesn't show it.... seems to stay running in background. Really just trying the app, and some of the others from x as experiments.

mmarcuse

Reaction score
Installed fine for me on Droid 1 SS4.6, activated, and let me rent a movie, but when I tried to download it, it failed. I think it checks what kind of phone it's running on. On mine it says 'Motorola Android Mid'.

Maybe there is a setting I can change somewhere to make it think it's running on a D2 or X? At $3.99 a pop (PLUS the membership), I don't think I'll be using it much even if I get it to work.

Kman0375

Reaction score
mine failed too

I have the HTC-EVO. It downloaded and installed fine, but when you try and download the rented movie, it fails and says no compatible profile available for download. then you click back and there is a mesage about turning off the Wi-Fi- settings sleep option wich is already set to never.

mmarcuse

Reaction score
I was looking at some wireshark traces I captured while trying to download a movie, and my best theory at this point is that it's trying to look for a movie formatted for your device type, and since it can't find any (since only the DroidX is supported at this time), it fails. I'm thinking if I can fool the app into thinking it's running on an X, then I could re-register the phone and it might download the movies. I wonder if someone with a DX would be kind enough to dump their build.prop for us to see what kinds of strings we might want to use. First one that comes to mind is

ro.product.model=droid

though I suspect the app may look at other things, such as the build fingerprint.

Does anyone know if the X has some core capability that a rooted, OCd D1 running 2.2 would lack? For instance, there may be additional video/audio decoding or DRM required by the app, in which case even if the movie downloads, it will not play.

If I can't get this working, I may just wait to see what Netflix comes up with. Not a big fan of Blockbuster anyways.

lordv8r

Reaction score
I have the blockbuster app running on my Incredible with a leaked 2.2 rom. I had to activate it several times before I was able to download a movie. I just got the movie last night so I haven't had a chance to watch it to make sure it works ok. BTW the app is an "on demand" service so it only costs when you d/l something, so there is no monthly fee.