Bloatware removed without rooting.

Bulhedd

Reaction score
I've only had my RAZR Maxx for about a week, and it's a huge improvement from the X2. I remember that on my X2 the only way to remove bloatware was to root your phone. But just for the hell of it, I tried to uninstall the Blockbuster app from the RAZR, and it worked? And the phone isn't rooted.

Has anyone else done this? And am I supposed to be able to? I just want to make sure my phone isn't screwed up when ICS is available.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I've only had my RAZR Maxx for about a week, and it's a huge improvement from the X2. I remember that on my X2 the only way to remove bloatware was to root your phone. But just for the hell of it, I tried to uninstall the Blockbuster app from the RAZR, and it worked? And the phone isn't rooted.

Has anyone else done this? And am I supposed to be able to? I just want to make sure my phone isn't screwed up when ICS is available.

There are a handful of bloat apps that you can uninstall without root. Many of them can't be though, especially Verizon and Motorola specific apps. But uninstalling the ones that can won't mess anything up for future updates. And once the ICS update arrives, you'll be able to freeze any app - including bloatware - natively without the need for root.

thebeeobee

Reaction score
Out of those that you can uninstall, I only left the Slingbox app because I saw it was $29.99 in the play store. Might as well hold onto that one.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Out of those that you can uninstall, I only left the Slingbox app because I saw it was $29.99 in the play store. Might as well hold onto that one.

I didn't look (removed everything I could) I imagine it is the version that requires a $10 monthly subscription where if you Buy it for $29.99 you don't.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I didn't look (removed everything I could) I imagine it is the version that requires a $10 monthly subscription where if you Buy it for $29.99 you don't.

Correct. It is the subscription version.

GSdub510

Reaction score
I wasn't able to get rid of Slingbox or Slacker Radio. But I did get rid of Blockbuster, Madden, and that golf game...thank god.

OP
B

Bulhedd

Reaction score
Thanks. I just didn't want to mess anything up. I had sbf back to GB a Droid X for a friend just so he could get an ota update. I didn't want to have to do anything like that to this one just to get ICS just because I uninstalled a stock app.