Bloatware Needed to have a successful system upgrade

johnaferraro

Reaction score
I'm a semi noob to the world of DROID, but since getting my first phone (DROID X2), Ive been addicted and reading/researching non-stop...Anyways, I rooted my phone, installed Titanium back up, and removed most verizon bloatware from my phone, later to find out 2 things....1.I need some of that bloatware to do a system update and 2.Titanium backup can freeze those apps instead of me deleting them. So my question(s) are, is there a list of specific bloatware apps that need to be installed for an update to be successful? And can I reinstall those apps from verizon or wherever I can find them at? And one more, If I freeze apps using titanium back up, will that free up memory on my phone like as if i un-installed them? Any help would be great. Thank you
Also, Im trying to avoid doing a factory reset back to the phones original state just to be able to do the update, then re-root my phone and everything, thats why I asked if there was a specific list of pre-loaded apps needed to do the update. Thanks again

Last edited:

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
ALOHA welcome to the forum.u would need to SBF to go back to stock. i dont know what apps are actually needed if u uninstalled them nor i doubt vzw will give u those. im going to move this thread to the DX2 section where u can get more responses

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
It would be easiest to SBF back to stock and update. But there is no need to take an official OTA, normally the community will have a way to update to the latest build and retain root.

OP
johnaferraro

johnaferraro

Reaction score
Awesome. Then I'll have to search around. Another thing I haven't done is made a back up yet. Which I should really do...what is the best way to do do that? Jbe read about doing the nandroid back up and some other way.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

OP
johnaferraro

johnaferraro

Reaction score
If I do an SBF, will that restore the bloatware the was originally on my phone when i bought it? And no, I didn't do any kind of back up before I rooted and started deleting apps. Lol

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
An SBF will return your phone to 100% stock. You do a backup in Clockwork recovery using the bootstrap for your X2.

OP
johnaferraro

johnaferraro

Reaction score
Ok. I downloaded rom manager and clicked on flash clockwork mod recovery and it says I successfully downloaded it. I've been reason and searching for hrs trying to get a step by step tutorial on how to everything including making a back up of my phone, which I heard that rom manager doesn't work for Droid x2. In rom nanager, I selected "back up current rom", my phone reset, i went back into rom manager, then went to "manage and restore roms" (where it should show my back up, correct), and it didn't show anything. Should I not be trying to back my phone phone up while its rooted? Or is this just simply because rom manager doesn't work with the x2. My whole goal is to SBF to gingerbread 2.3.4, and instead of deleting the bloatware, just freeze it. Then after that, I want to start messing with ROMS and such. But I'm not going to do any of it until I get a solid back up of my phone as is right now. And I mist admit, I'm so impressed with this forum. I've never seen a forum that was so helpful and so respectful. From the n00bs like me to the developers helping everyone. Its great. Keep up the great work and Thx again for any help u can give me