Blank SD card

Reaction score
Yesterday I reset my phone (turned off and on, not factory) and upon it booting back up it said that my SD card is blank. It has quite a few pictures on there as well as some videos. I've tried resetting it again and also doing a battery pull with no luck. Any ideas?

Sent from my DROIDX

Last edited:

scf

Reaction score
Do you have a card reader? I'd power the unit off, pull the card and download the files to my pc before I did anything.
Then replace card and battery, see if it's happy again.

OP
L
Reaction score
unfortunately I don't have a card reader. On the phone with vzw right now..

While I'm on hold...

I've pulled the card, pulled battery, powered down and on. Every time I put the card back in it goes through the "preparing SD card" stuff, but then eventually comes up as it's blank and needs to be formatted.

Last edited:

jjq224

Reaction score
My sister had almost the exact thing happen to her Droid X - which is NOT rooted. She was taking pictures one minute and the next everything was gone. We were able to get 98% back with this program:

Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download

I've used it in the past with Hard Drives and it worked great on her SD card (still in the camera attached to the PC).

Let me know what happens - Verizon actually switched her phone out. Didn't admit there was an issue, but actions speak louder than words.

R2D2-01-june.gif

Sent from my personal R2-D2 Droid using DroidForums App

OP
L
Reaction score
My sister had almost the exact thing happen to her Droid X - which is NOT rooted. She was taking pictures one minute and the next everything was gone. We were able to get 98% back with this program:

Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download

I've used it in the past with Hard Drives and it worked great on her SD card (still in the camera attached to the PC).

Let me know what happens - Verizon actually switched her phone out. Didn't admit there was an issue, but actions speak louder than words.

R2D2-01-june.gif

Thanks for the tip. Tried using that program but it just says that the device is not ready. A lot of what I had on there I had already uploaded to FB and stuff, so I can get it back that way, although not in their original form. Something's better than nothing though!

VZW tech support couldn't really help. He took me through everything he could think of, which I had pretty much already done on my own. Going to take it back and hopefully it's just a bad card. I'd hate to start from scratch on my phone again...

btw I'm completely stock on my phone still.

jjq224

Reaction score
Tried using that program but it just says that the device is not ready.

Question - had you ever had the phone connected to the computer? If not, you may need to download the Motorola drivers. If you have, make sure that the phone actually shows up (you should have a Motorola drive). Also, make sure the USB connection is set to USB Mass Storage.

That's about all I have. Good Luck - I hope something works.

R2D2-01-june.gif

OP
L
Reaction score
Yeah everything is set correctly. My computer recognizes the phone but not that the sd card is attached to it. Also when I go to the gallery on the phone it says there is no sd card.

Sent from my DROIDX