'Blackphone' Android Smartphone Designed to Protect You From NSA Snooping

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jan 15, 2014.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

Does overly intrusive government snooping from the NSA have you down? Are you worried that your personal data is insecure and easily available for the shadow governments of the world? Would you simply like to have a smartphone that emphasizes security more than sophistication? If you answered yes to any of these questions then the new "Blackphone" might be the perfect product for you. Spanish hardware manufacturer Geeksphone and Silent Circle, a provider of privacy software solutions, have developed the joint international initiative called "The Blackphone."

This device is designed to give you that extra protection you need from those intrusive spies. No specific details have been shared yet, but supposedly, the Blackphone will come with a top-of-the-line processor and several unique security features. Here's a few tidbits:
    • A “PrivatOS” custom Android skin overlay that is designed to allow for secure calls and text messages
    • An unlocked cellular module compatible with any GSM network on the planet
    • The ability to and store files and connect to the Internet via anonymous VPNs
    The device will come available for pre-order at Mobile World Congress in February, but no pricing details are available yet. What do you guys think? Security overkill or just the right ticket?

Here's the full press release below,

2. combatmedic870

combatmedic870 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Just right. I hope all phone makers move to this.

3. RETG

RETG Active Member

Ratings:
    +95
    No, what we need is for NSA to STOP recording all our phone calls. I understand they are not listening to them; hell that would be totally impossible. But I also know that if a terrorist uses a cell phone more than two times he/she is probably too stupid to harm anyone. I'm sure they use burn phones. So I want to know why NSA is recording our calls, unless it is for future political needs from a meta search.

4. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,530
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    Not trying to be political..but I'm not willing to trade freedom for security. But the phone is a great idea..

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Senior Member

Ratings:
    +123
    Unfortuantly I'm certain this phone is just as succeptable to unknown zero day attacks as the rest of any software based devices. There is a reason the government even gets hacked dayily by low level hackers on "high security" systems. There's no such thing as anomnity, security, or truely safe encryption in the connected world. If they want you, they'll find you, they'll track you...

6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +933
    Not to mention, buying one of these phones just screams you have something to hide. Truthfully, this phone would have to be ridiculously expensive to deliver what they are promising as you're talking about a massive amount of R&D and updates to stay ahead of the NSA (as if that's possible).

Their slogan should really be "if you want to make it easier for the NSA to target/identify you, then buy our phone". What would make it all the more comical is if some govt shell corporation is actually funding this.

7. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,073
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    Listen to my calls, scan my emails, I don't care. I have nothing to hide. If I did I wouldn't be using a cellphone or the internet.

8. Dusty

Dusty Silver Member

Ratings:
    +570
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    It's not about you. There are other regular people who work for companies who have nothing to hide but may work in facilitating future ventures. Think of what you could do if you had the ability to know Google, Boeing, GE, BoA or Apple's next big move or projected acquisitions for the next year. There is already evidence that the NSA had infiltrated several large corporation's (including Google's) INTERNAL corporate phone and email system, for what? Even better... What if you were merely thinking about running for office in your area and someone had the ability to know your intentions beforehand and could prepare roadblocks? Apparently one particular program which accounted for almost 30% of the approved metadata collected (which included corporate information), had "unclear" or "absolutely no" anti-terrorism value.

If you think no one has used this for personal gain (political or financial) already, or won't in the future... well, that's just naive. Especially when you consider the complete lack of oversight.

So, you're right you have nothing to hide, but you may have information that someone may want. You should think about the big picture.

9. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,073
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    Holy ****! Tinfoil hat? NSA doesn't care who is running for office, or if you're on the brink of creating free energy for the world.

10. Dusty

Dusty Silver Member

Ratings:
    +570
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    You seem to think that no one in the NSA has any contact with any political officials or private company board members. Dude, you're clueless.

The "tinfoil hat" meme went out of style the day after the Snowden leaks. Read the news.

• Like Like x 1
Search tags for this page

android nsa snooping