Blackberry vs. Droid

Tcoursen

Reaction score
On the verge of switching from Blackberry but I'm getting cold feet. Any recommendations either as to the switch and if so which Droid would you suggest?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can't even say a Blackberry is in the same league of an Android phone. Blackberry is 20th Century. Droid is 21st Century.

The problem people have who come from Blackberry is forgetting everything they knew about Blackberry and accepting that this is a different OS. You don't worry about app space. Battery pulls are a thing of the past.

Mail for some can be an issue. That and the learning curve. Most make it, I did. Every once in a while somebody can't figure it out and goes back.

As far as which one to pick, go to a Verizon Store and check them out. See which one floats your boat. Do you want a physical keyboard? Maybe the Droid Pro would be for you, that's similar looking to a Blackberry. A Droid 2 World if you travel over seas. Want a large screen and no physical keyboard? An X might be for you.

Good luck and :welcome: to the Forum.

IamGov

Reaction score
Remember to take your time buying and then get as many apparently as possible. You will end up deleting some, but you will find a lot of apparently make the OS that much better.

Sent via my Fascinate on the Droidforums app.
Owned D1, Incred, X, D2, and the Fascinate is the best.

OP
T

Tcoursen

Reaction score
Hook - Thanks for your thoughts and good advice. I will go to the store but any thoughts on the Droid x vs 2 vs Fascinate

IamGov

Reaction score
X has got the big screen and 8mp camera. D2G has faster processor and physical keyboard. I don't like either because moto seems to add too much junk to the OS which slows it down. Not to mention the bootloader lock that limits hacking and customization.

The fascinate is a solid device. It has a 5mp camera, which is the only area, IMO, where it lacks. Still the pic quality is better than moto. Something with the camera moto uses that makes it come out blurry and lags.

OP
T

Tcoursen

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll check it out seriously. It's difficult to step out of a
the BB comfort zone but Verizon's signal strength and breadth of coverage make achange vital.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hook - Thanks for your thoughts and good advice. I will go to the store but any thoughts on the Droid x vs 2 vs Fascinate

Truthfully I don't know enough about the Incredible to endorse it or not. I sort of concentrate on Moto phones.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Incredible is a pretty good phone.
They are all relatively similar so it will depend on which pos UI you like best (since none have a vanilla version of Android). As for comparing them to a BB it is going to depend LARGELY on your needs. If you need FULL exchange functionality than you will likely be disappointed (the default exchange client sucks, there is a decent 3rd party app but it's still a far cry from the full feature/support of BB). With that said if you don't solely rely on exchange and you are willing to experiment with work arounds and some shortcomings (as you/we wait for Google to get off their a$$ with some things) than you should be fairly happy and will enjoy Android. I know of very few people that regret it (aside from those who needed the exchange service) and most of them just didn't have the patience to learn the system (i.e. mainly Apple fannys that couldn't accept that it wasn't iOS or figure out how to spell their names w/o Steve Jobs telling them how).

IamGov

Reaction score
The Incredible is a pretty good phone.
They are all relatively similar so it will depend on which pos UI you like best (since none have a vanilla version of Android). As for comparing them to a BB it is going to depend LARGELY on your needs. If you need FULL exchange functionality than you will likely be disappointed (the default exchange client sucks, there is a decent 3rd party app but it's still a far cry from the full feature/support of BB). With that said if you don't solely rely on exchange and you are willing to experiment with work arounds and some shortcomings (as you/we wait for Google to get off their a$$ with some things) than you should be fairly happy and will enjoy Android. I know of very few people that regret it (aside from those who needed the exchange service) and most of them just didn't have the patience to learn the system (i.e. mainly Apple fannys that couldn't accept that it wasn't iOS or figure out how to spell their names w/o Steve Jobs telling them how).

Well said!