Blackberry Venice Slider Could Come with Android as Early as November [Rumor]

cryptworks

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OnePlus1 running CM 12.1
So this could be a very interesting reinvention from blackberry. Especially if they can join Cyanogen in the idea of the ecosystem being separate from the android OS. so you are no longer "tied" to google services. Android becomes a platform separate from services. And then take what they created with the BES server and extend that to a in house IT services ecosystem that you can then deploy. Or use MS, Amazon, or whomever's services.

and they make a good looking device that performs well and has some longevity with a physical keyboard and a solid OS backing behind it. They will knock this out of the park i think.

The key will be making the core Blackberry features modular enough so you can update the OS rapidly and keep it up to date. and then you just need to really tune the internal apps individually.

So curious now.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wish I could have platform separate from services back. I miss the pre Google bloatware days.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
You are right it is a saturated market just as can be said for the PC market. But there are some names (ie Alienware) that manages to stand out.

Because RIM is a software company I hold out hope that they can take android and build an awesome software on top of android. Plus we do not know how far they are going to go with building on android. Are they going to go the CM route where they use AOSP with certain GAPPS (Maps, Play Store, and Music) and use their own messaging, mail, and other apps or are they going to do what Motorola does now and lightly build upon android?

Hopefully the former where Blackberry is able to distinguish themselves from the competition.

Unfortunately this could end up as a last desperate act before we nail the coffin shut on RIM. As this may be too little too late now that companies have caught up with RIM on offering software that is enterprise friendly.
This scenario just seems ludicrous to me. Makes absolutely no sense at all for Blackberry to even go down this path UNLESS they have pretty much thrown in the towel on QNX. Thats the only way I can make any sense of this whole thing.

Perhaps I'm missing something in all of this....dunno

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This scenario just seems ludicrous to me. Makes absolutely no sense at all for Blackberry to even go down this path UNLESS they have pretty much thrown in the towel on QNX. Thats the only way I can make any sense of this whole thing.

Perhaps I'm missing something in all of this....dunno
Well that's just it. Since the Storm 2 BlackBerry has been on a steady decline and no matter what they throw out there the people has not responded. People have shown that they are willing to give the moto e or some unnamed Android device a chance before even looking at BlackBerry.

Plus the biggest downfall for BlackBerry was their app store, or lack thereof. Over the years the Android brand (Google Play) has grown robust. Where BlackBerry is at now they know they are not going to be able to build up their app market to compete with Android and (definitely not) Apple.

So if you are on the brink of extinction, the company is on it's last dime, what would you do?

You take free software that has apps built in, throw a skin on it and an exclusive suite of BlackBerry secure apps, and call it BlackBerry with Android app store knowing 90% of users wouldn't even know the difference.

Note to BlackBerry: Don't go the Amazon route trying to make a replica store. Just go full Google Play.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Doesn't the play board or whatever it's called already support android apps?
Yeah it was RIM's first venture in the idea of the marriage between BlackBerry and Android apps. But I guessing it wasn't enough to get the people to respond. And to be frank I agree with @cerealkiller that this latest move may not be enough. People may have moved on from RIM. But if you going to go out, go out trying any and everything.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Is it me or does that phone look ridiculously tall with the keyboard out? It looks like it would be cumbersome to hold while typing with the weight of the phone wanting to torque it out of your fingertips. I'm seeing high percentages of shattered phones that are dropped while using the keyboard.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Is it me or does that phone look ridiculously tall with the keyboard out? It looks like it would be cumbersome to hold while typing with the weight of the phone wanting to torque it out of your fingertips. I'm seeing high percentages of shattered phones that are dropped while using the keyboard.
Good point. Here's hoping it's got a bit more weight in the keyboard portion than in the screen part that slides up. Wouldn't be too hard to weight it so it naturally wants to stay in your hands while typing if you're looking for a scenario like you've mentioned.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Good point. Here's hoping it's got a bit more weight in the keyboard portion than in the screen part that slides up. Wouldn't be too hard to weight it so it naturally wants to stay in your hands while typing if you're looking for a scenario like you've mentioned.
This looks like a device that will do better for Verizon customer. Grabbing your business customers who know the blackberry name but need the Android apps.

I truly see BlackBerry botching this opportunity to make a comeback. Between poor designs and support (keeping up with updates) this could be the nail.

Hopefully I'm wrong because I would love to back the device. Unfortunately I see this being at best a middle of the road device.