1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Blackberry to Droid X

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by tttuning, Aug 26, 2010.

1. tttuning

tttuning New Member

Well i started with the Storm 1 and had many problems with the phone, jumped to the Storm 2 per verizon for free upgrade. Now im leaving the BB and just ordered the DX. I'm told a 2 week wait for shipment.

Checking out the forums and learning about the new OX and features...looked on Youtube and found some nice info on the phone.

cant wait to get the phone...still no info on shipment.
  2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Welcome! Glad you joined us. There is a great FAQ section and X section in the Forum that may help until you get you new X.

Mike
  3. Cacique500

Cacique500 New Member

I went from the Storm 1 as well and just got my DX this week...you'll never look back!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  4. tttuning

tttuning New Member

im getting antsy already seeing my wife's Incredible showed up today... Called VZW to see if there was an ETA and they said should be shipped by the 10th!!! Also said people have been reporting that they are receiving earlier then 2 weeks.
  5. Jenlj78

Jenlj78 New Member

You WON'T miss your Storm! My storm was a pill and I do not miss it at all. DROID RULES!!!!!
  6. wmscottmc

wmscottmc New Member

And you wont miss your daily battery pulls!
  7. Jenlj78

Jenlj78 New Member

Amen to that!!!
  8. tttuning

tttuning New Member

with the installed email app, is there a way to "mark prior open" instead of having to click and view all individually??? I know you can with the Storm 2
  9. WorldOfJohnboy

WorldOfJohnboy New Member

Yes, there are "checkboxes" next to each email... check the ones you want to mark as read, then hit the menu button and press "Mark Read"

I was a BB user for 5+ years and a BES administrator. Before the Droid X came out, my Verizon rep had a demo sent to me. I ordered one to replace my Storm2 the night it came out and haven't looked back.

The only problem I have in comparison to the BB is the built-in Exchange mailbox software on the Droid X is weak. I purchased a program called "Touchdown for Exchange" (one-time fee of $20) and it was by far the best investment I made. I recommend it to anyone coming from BB to Android.
  10. Jenlj78

Jenlj78 New Member

11. Vaporgirrl123

Vaporgirrl123 New Member

I definitely do NOT miss the daily (or at the end more often) Storm battery pulls lol.
  12. Nology

Nology New Member

I'm on my third day with my X after switching from the storm. I phone is so far ahead of any BB but there are some things I miss. I really miss BBM but I'm starting to like google talk more and more. I liked the email on the BB better than the x. I'm still getting used to this phone so that could change. BB calendar was slightly more easy to use but thats about it.
  13. WorldOfJohnboy

It is available in the market (30 day trial, too). Install it and then setup your Exchange mailbox. This would take the place of the corporate sync app that comes with the droid x.
  14. nc_biscuit

nc_biscuit New Member

I also just purchased an X and am going from Blackberry to X... should be an interesting transition. Supposed to get my phone by the 6th...
  15. Mr.Droid2

Mr.Droid2 New Member

Good luck with your new X. You will enjoy it and you will be hooked on the phone forever (;
  16. nc_biscuit

nc_biscuit New Member

Thanks, my wife threatened me last night because I mentioned it and she said that she expects me to have an affair with the new phone...
  17. ZombieTurf

ZombieTurf New Member

I came to the Droid X directly from the Storm 1. had so many problems with that phone that the Droid X feels heaven-sent.

my friend went from the Storm 1 and got the upgrade to Storm 2 and is still unhappy. I'm trying to convert him :)
  18. Fairfieldwizard

Fairfieldwizard New Member

stream of consciousness from former BB Storm 2 user

I wasn't even in the market for something to replace my Blackberry Storm 2 when I ended up killing a little time in a Verizon store on Droid X launch date. I've been a loooonngg time BB power user going back to the first BB around 2002. I was impressed with the responsiveness of the DX. My company uses Intermedia for outsourced exchange server (multiple users running Outlook 2007). After confirming that there would be a way to get my exchange email on the DX, I found a DX the day following launch. I switched my email account from Blackberry enterprise server to Good Mobile Messaging. I've been using a Droid X since early August. My impressions:

1. Way faster. Had no idea how pokey the Storm 2 was until I began using the Droid X. Definitely in the iPhone league. Made the Blackberry Storm 2 look so 1995.
    2. Much faster email sync. It could take 15-20 minutes for calendar or email entries to sync between my Storm2 and desktop Outlook. The Droid syncs within 2-3 minutes, always.
    3. I did like the pseudo-click of the screen when typing on the Storm2. You don't get that with the Droid X. But you get a WAY better typing experience, especially if you have fat finger or 50-something old eyes.
    4. As with overall performance, I had no idea who bad the Storm2 web browser was until I began using the DX. Aside from a lack of Flash, it works just like a desktop browser.
    5. I also have a Yahoo POP email account. The DX grabs that too, although as with the Storm2, duplicate emails are problematic.
    6. Attachments, esp PDF's open smoothly and zoom in/out smoothly using pinch motions.
    7. It shines if you're into social networking like Facebook.
    8. You're going to want an unlimited data plan.

Downsides (and one is stunningly significant):
    1. Small thing: It's not possible to display email message lists in black with a white background.
    2.Really big thing: It's not possible to search through or sort exchange or POP email. Incredible but true. Looking for an email message from John Jones? Forget it. You can certainly flick down the list, but that's it. Want to sort messages by date or person and then delete all of a certain criteria? Nope.

Fairfieldwizard
  19. WorldOfJohnboy

Ihave always said that if you want something close to a Blackberry experience with your Exchange email, purchase Touchdown for Exchange. It was the best $20 I spent for my Droid X, hands down.

As for searching through pop email, I personally don't need to do that, or I just use webmail or PC. There are times I need to search my Exchange mail without access to a computer... Touchdown does that for me.
  20. Mustang02

Mustang02 Well-Known Member

I upgraded to the X from my Storm 2. The X and BB's are two completely different devices. BB was designed for corporate users while the X was designed for consumers. After having this thing for 3 weeks I've noticed that I liked my Email and calendaring so much better on the BB. The speed and responsiveness of the X is awesome.
Search tags for this page

bbm for droid x