Blackberry Teams Up with Google to Improve Enterprise Security on Android

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
blackberry-and-android.jpg

Just yesterday we shared a story that Blackberry had purchased some Android specific domain names. This lead to speculation that it was proof of the rumored Android Venice device from Blackberry. In my report, I suggested that maybe Blackberry was simply teaming up with Google to make Android more secure. Sometimes a journalist's predictions/speculations do pan out...

The image above and link below serve as Blackberry's announcement that they are officially working with Google to make a secure, enterprise-level version of Android. In fact, Android Lollipop and the BES12 security architecture are specifically being merged to create this amazing "be together. not the same," hybrid solution.

Of course, this news doesn't necessarily invalidate the possibility that there will be a Blackberry Android device called the Venice. In fact, it seems very likely now that this device will be Blackberry's prime paragon device to herald in the new collaboration. All we can say here at HQ is... "it's about damn time!"

Source: BlackBerry

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Good call Stormy! And yes, this is a great idea on Google's part. The perception is that Android, as open source, as unsafe for corporate environments. Even if untrue since 4.3! But this will hopefully make uneasy IT departments see the light.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
This all makes sense now :)

I think Blackberry got wind that MSFT was going to move aggressively into the enterprise market (mobile) and that would totally wipe them out. Its a very smart move.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree, that it's a smart move, although Blackberry is very late to the party. Hopefully it won't be too late for them to make a dent in the industry.

I am not sure that the timeline makes sense that Blackberry did this to pre-empt Microsoft though. Nadella shifted gears very quickly within the last week or so to change Microsoft's course in the mobile sector. However, for Blackberry to have developed this more advanced and secure version of Android directly with Google, they were likely working on this for several months or more.

This timeline means that Blackberry's move couldn't really have been a response to Microsoft, unless it was like a chess move in which they were trying to predict what Microsoft would do down the road...

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I agree, that it's a smart move, although Blackberry is very late to the party. Hopefully it won't be too late for them to make a dent in the industry.

I am not sure that the timeline makes sense that Blackberry did this to pre-empt Microsoft though. Nadella shifted gears very quickly within the last week or so to change Microsoft's course in the mobile sector. However, for Blackberry to have developed this more advanced and secure version of Android directly with Google, they were likely working on this for several months or more.

This timeline means that Blackberry's move couldn't really have been a response to Microsoft, unless it was like a chess move in which they were trying to predict what Microsoft would do down the road...
Excellent point. I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't think this is all a just a coincidence. Perhaps Nadella got wind that Blackberry was going to team up with Google in regards to BES12 and decided that it was now or never to move aggressively into the enterprise market.

I'm just really intrigued and interested to see how the mobile landscape is going to change, if at all, in regards to the enterprise with this announcement.