BlackBerry Remote Stereo Bluetooth Gateway Adapter A2DP

Modulus

Reaction score
Hey All,

I just wanted to provide this information to you in case you were interested..

My car has handsfree built-in, so I can already make and receive calls via bluetooth, which is a beautiful thing that I highly recommend to all.

Unfortunately, the 2008 model didn't support A2DP and AVRCP, even though the 2009 does. STUPID manufacturers, at least our phones get updates at some point, my car never will.. :(

Anyways, I have an Auxiliary input in my arm rest, right next to a 12-volt outlet, so.. naturally I picked up the Belkin Dual Auto Charger.

I chose this one because I wanted to be able to charge my phone, and power the BlackBerry BT Gateway.

The BT Gateway has a mini-usb port to power it, and a mini-stereo output port, which plugs directly into my car stereo's auxiliary input.

The end result? When I get in my car, the Droid reconnects to both devices.. Music plays via Pandora (hello 470MB usage in the last 2 weeks), and when a call comes in, the music stops, and the call goes through.

The BlackBerry unit is $80 at Best Buy, but only ~$30 on amazon

Enjoy

rican408

Reaction score
Yesr this unit is great. I use it to connect to my home theater to play music at home wireless. I trip people out when i change songs with my phone .....

nickb34

Reaction score
Thanks for posting on this, definitely a solution that I am looking for. Wish it had a hands free profile as well, but the bluetooth headset seems like it is the better solution anyways.

OP
M

Modulus

Reaction score
Thanks for posting on this, definitely a solution that I am looking for. Wish it had a hands free profile as well, but the bluetooth headset seems like it is the better solution anyways.

You might want something more like this Kyocera option.
Or maybe the Jabra dogtags..

Like I said in my post, I only wanted A2DP capability, since it's buried in my arm rest.. and my car already has Handsfree... :)

marcfogel

Reaction score
Hey All,

My car has handsfree built-in, so I can already make and receive calls via bluetooth, which is a beautiful thing that I highly recommend to all.

Unfortunately, the 2008 model didn't support A2DP and AVRCP, even though the 2009 does. STUPID manufacturers, at least our phones get updates at some point, my car never will.. :(

Anyways, I have an Auxiliary input in my arm rest, right next to a 12-volt outlet, so.. naturally I picked up the Belkin Dual Auto Charger.

I chose this one because I wanted to be able to charge my phone, and power the BlackBerry BT Gateway.

The BT Gateway has a mini-usb port to power it, and a mini-stereo output port, which plugs directly into my car stereo's auxiliary input.

The end result? When I get in my car, the Droid reconnects to both devices.. Music plays via Pandora (hello 470MB usage in the last 2 weeks), and when a call comes in, the music stops, and the call goes through.

Enjoy

I have the same setup. Yet whenever I get in the car my Droid will not automatically connect to the blackberry music gateway. Anything special that needs to be done. It isvery frustrating. When I do get it connected it works and sounds fantastic.

markusfine

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have the same setup. Yet whenever I get in the car my Droid will not automatically connect to the blackberry music gateway. Anything special that needs to be done. It isvery frustrating. When I do get it connected it works and sounds fantastic.

I have the BT Gateway as well, and my Droid connects to it 50% of the time. There's a pattern but i haven't figured it out yet. The BT gateway comes on when the car starts and most of the time I need to turn the BT gateway on and off before it works. Actually, the Droid shows a proper connection but no sound plays on the Droid or on the car stereo until I cycle it.

Anybody seen this behavior?

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I just got the Blackberry BT gateway as well. I have the DockAwake App so when I snap my Doid into the OEM mount, the app unlocks my screen, turns on bluetooth, opens Pandora and begins to play. Friggin cool. I've noticed that if I snap my phone in first and then turn the car on a few seconds later, it all seems to work. If I turn the car on first, and then snap the phone in, I have to power cycle the BB BT GW. Not sure why either, but today was only my first full day using it. Love the sound quality! Get one. I'll post if I figure out more on making this connection easier.

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
The USB charging port is mini, not the micro like the droid itself. My Blackberry BT is still working, but there are sometimes where it doesn't connect or drops connection like markusfine already mentioned. I'm wondering now if anyone's ever tried a different stereo gateway, like the Motorola DC800 or any other. If they have the same problems, it's probably something with the Droid. Pandora seems to give me the most trouble with this, but I also use Pandora the most.

OP
M

Modulus

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Now that I've been using this thing for a while, I wanted to post an update... I've found that when I get in the car, if I'm already listening to Pandora via headphones, it'll switch to the A2DP, but if I unplug the headphones the music pauses (oops, I emailed Pandora about that..).

I've also found that if I'm not playing music when I get in the car, then start it, sometimes I'll need to long press the Gateway in the Bluetooth Settings list of devices, and click on Connect, then it plays fine.
Once in a while, the Gateway doesn't connect, but that's usually when it's really cold, turning it off and on normally fixes it.

If you're inclined to upgrade the whole stereo, my friend got this pioneer unit, and it's really nice..
Pioneer USA - DEH-P710BT - Premier™ CD Receiver with Full Motion OEL Display, Built-In Bluetooth and USB Direct Control for iPod

nickb34

Reaction score
I have the same connection issues as previously mentioned. I'm not quite sure what it is, it seems to be kind of random. I mostly use the music player, so I don't believe it has to do with pandora (pandora has plenty of it's own problems).

sheriffwoody

Reaction score
OK. So I just got my BB Gateway and it worked great just a few times out of a hundred. :( I havent been able to figure out why it connects sometimes and not others. I can cycle the BB Gateway on and off and it rarely works. The droid shows it as paired but not connected. The music (pandora or mp3) gets sent to bluetooth and not the speaker quite often (automatically mutes speaker and shows droid shows music sent to bluetooth) , but the music doesnt make it to the car stereo. If I connect the 3.5 directly to the droid, the music plays over the car stereo.

Is this a droid problem or a BB Gateway problem?? Sure would be nice if this thing worked.

Also, how did everyone hook up the Gateway? To key on or always powered whether the key is on or off? I doubt it would make a difference, but my Gateway is powered to key on only though the cigarette lighter.

opuntia

Reaction score
Hey All,

Enjoy

For those interested in the BB, it should be made clear that it only will stream music/media, when a call comes in (or making a call), the phone won't be connected through the BB, instead, i'll just be through the Droid speakers. Personally, that's a shame since the Droid connected directly through an aux jack will route calls through the jack.

Does anyone know of a similar device that'll do both?

sicinsc

Reaction score
OK. So I just got my BB Gateway and it worked great just a few times out of a hundred. :( I havent been able to figure out why it connects sometimes and not others. I can cycle the BB Gateway on and off and it rarely works. The droid shows it as paired but not connected. The music (pandora or mp3) gets sent to bluetooth and not the speaker quite often (automatically mutes speaker and shows droid shows music sent to bluetooth) , but the music doesnt make it to the car stereo. If I connect the 3.5 directly to the droid, the music plays over the car stereo.

Is this a droid problem or a BB Gateway problem?? Sure would be nice if this thing worked.

Also, how did everyone hook up the Gateway? To key on or always powered whether the key is on or off? I doubt it would make a difference, but my Gateway is powered to key on only though the cigarette lighter.

I have the SAME exact problem. Did you find a solution to your problem? I've looked everywhere and I couldn't find anything. This is definitely a problem w/ the Gateway. I wish I could exchange this thing for another one that works but it has been more than 30 days since I bought it. Does anyone know if Blackberry offers a warranty for this Gateway?