Blackberry PRIV Media Frenzy is Building

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Blackberry-slider-phone.jpg

Apparently the new Blackberry PRIV Android Phone is generating a ton of media hype before it is even out in the wild. A huge list of internet media journalists are buzzing about the device, and many of them think it could be the hottest new phone to come out in a long while. In fact, some of them speculate that it could put Blackberry back on the map as one of the global power brokers for the smartphone world. Here's a collection of quotes from more than a dozen editors,

Adrian Diaconescu, Pocketnow: The privacy-centric touchscreen/QWERTY keyboard hybrid goes after a target audience of its own, and the bundled slide-out "accessory" doubling as a touchpad helps it easily stand out from the Android flagship pack rather than live in the Galaxy S6 Edge+ or Note 5's shadow. Bottom line, $750 might not be such an unwarrantedly high price to pay for a wholly unique gadget.

Sheldon Pinto, Techtree: "For the first time on a BlackBerry device, you'll have a combination of powerful hardware, secure and flexible software, and millions of apps and games...The Priv could change BlackBerry's future in the smartphone business, and bring back the days of the pre-Apple era.

Kevin Tofel, ZDnet: "BlackBerry is playing the Priv smart: Even the name alludes to "privacy." The more we hear about Google Android security scares, the more I think BlackBerry's security heritage and approach could bring a surprising number of handset sales, both to consumers and enterprise workers alike."

Rhiannon Williams, the Telegraph: "The Priv could well prove to be the handset which helps to turn [Blackberry's] fortunes around. Given smartphones' almost total adoption of touch screens, it's easy to forget that an entire subsection of consumers still clamour for the physicality of a QWERTY keyboard, with the Priv encapsulating the best of both worlds."

Brian Chin, Daily Buzz: "The name might be a little strange and mentioning the company in public may even garner some snarky comments, but the BlackBerry Priv is certainly a smartphone to get excited about...With the Priv, which is short for privacy and privilege, BlackBerry is looking to provide the best of both worlds to the consumer: a customizable and app-friendly Android device with the security and physical QWERTY keyboard of a BlackBerry."

John McCann, TechRadar: "The more details BlackBerry teases out about the Priv, the more I'm getting genuinely excited about it...there's the slide-down keyboard which reminds me of the Nokia 7110 and 8110, and we all know how cool that was back in the day. Then there's BlackBerry's bread and butter: privacy and security, things you don't really hear too much about in the Android world."

Richard Devine, Android Central: "In 2015 it looks like I'll be able to get back what I lost without the compromises I wasn't prepared to make. Android - regular, untampered Android, at that - with BlackBerry's legendary keyboard. Take my money. Take it now."

Richard Goodwin, Know Your Mobile: "Taken together the BlackBerry PRIV -- I really do hate that name, though -- sounds like a winner on paper. It also looks gorgeous, too. BlackBerry is going to have to seriously mess something up badly for me not to absolutely love this device."

Rob Enderle, IT Business Edge: "It will likely be the combination of Qualcomm's security improvements with BlackBerry's that will provide a blended benefit that should allow BlackBerry to support the claim that it has the most secure Android phone when it launches...This could be the breakout device for BlackBerry."

John Nieves, Unbox.ph: "There's something that only BlackBerry is able to do well, and that's messaging...BlackBerry's able to consistently deliver an amazing messaging experience primarily through [its] keyboards, and it looks like the PRIV won't be an exception."

James Nieves, BerryFlow: "If you sit back and think about the name 'Priv,' it actually makes a lot of sense....the hardware is only part of what's offered. Sure, there's Android...but there's also Privacy, which is a much more intangible thing. To capitalize on the data losses in popular apps and services, BlackBerry has crafted a device that is enterprise grade when paired with BES software and also has consumer services to defend against compromised data."

Mariella Moon, Engadget: "If the device turns out to have killer features, then it doesn't matter what it's called: after all, a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Ron Amadeo, Ars Technica: "Android OEMs have been in a race to the bottom, cutting costs everywhere they can and axing features...Blackberry obviously isn't falling in with the current Android OEM groupthink, and that makes the PRIV one of the more exciting devices to come along in some time. We're excited about a BlackBerry device. What year is it?"

BLA1ZE, CrackBerry: "Arguably the biggest reason an Android customer might actually want to consider picking up the BlackBerry PRIV...That fantastic BlackBerry keyboard that even the most touch-screen faithful individuals will admit to missing at times."

Matthew Deluca, NBC News: "The smartphone, called PRIV, is aimed at business customers who just can't separate themselves from a physical keyboard, but also want the range of apps that come with Google's Android operating system."

Ben Woods, The Next Web: "If the PRIV arrives looking like its leaked images, then it'll certainly stand out from the sea of other Android slabs on offer. How many can you think of with a physical keyboard in a sliding form factor?"

Are there any of you folks who are as excited about the Blackberry PRIV as these journalists? Here's our dedicated section for further discussion: Blackberry PRIV | Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Source: BGR

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Phones with sliding out qwerty keyboards are so 2009.

D R O I D

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I, in a way, hope this is a success because I am getting tired of the stale cookie cutter "make phone big" mindset. Yes I was one who wanted to see a Nexus phablet and am glad we have a healthy phablet market, but we also need a healthy market of phones that is beyond a phablet. I l believe there is a niche market for a kb phone, especially if done right.

My concern are the suite of apps that will come preinstalled on the BB priv, but the reality is most customers will not care. Let's see how the market responds to the Priv.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
It would respond better if it were on VZW. I know 3 BB owners who'd love for a new phone.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It would respond better if it were on VZW. I know 3 BB owners who'd love for a new phone.

Very good point and a bad move by BB. Verizon have the most business customers and VZW would have been able to get this device in their hands. As much as I love that companies are selling phones outside of carriers, BB would have benefitted from partnering with Verizon. What is worse is that it is not compatible on Verizon. That there is stupid.

Then again BB may do a carrier exclusive hence why they are not allowing people to buy an unlocked version that will work on VZW. The VZW exclusive may be unlocked for overseas usage but locked to Verizon in the US. If that is not the case then I really do not have a clue what BB is doing and that is poor execution to rely on only ATT and T-mobile as the only us carriers that support the Priv. This could end up getting my vote for the Ice JJ Fish award, what you think @TisMyDroid?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
$750 might not be such an unwarrantedly high price to pay for a wholly unique gadget.

$750 for an 808 chip ....yeah Im going to have to see some reviews first. And even then they are treating the BB like they are the only ones about security. Have they not seen what Google did with 6.0? Google is making these devs work for their freedom (freedom to root and rom).

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Very good point and a bad move by BB. Verizon have the most business customers and VZW would have been able to get this device in their hands. As much as I love that companies are selling phones outside of carriers, BB would have benefitted from partnering with Verizon. What is worse is that it is not compatible on Verizon. That there is stupid.

Then again BB may do a carrier exclusive hence why they are not allowing people to buy an unlocked version that will work on VZW. The VZW exclusive may be unlocked for overseas usage but locked to Verizon in the US. If that is not the case then I really do not have a clue what BB is doing and that is poor execution to rely on only ATT and T-mobile as the only us carriers that support the Priv. This could end up getting my vote for the Ice JJ Fish award, what you think @TisMyDroid?

I have to wonder if you might be right.... that Verizon is going to run with their own exclusive BB priv. Or Verizon & BB are holding out to see how a BB device is actually going to fly (or swim). If not then maybe they do get the Ice JJ Fish award. Then again, maybe they will get the IJJF award because BB is no longer on people's radar.

Who's going to do the IJJF dance for the phone that gets the dreaded award?

Answer: I think anyone who bought the phone that receives it should have to do their version of the dance and post it on DF.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have to wonder if you might be right.... that Verizon is going to run with their own exclusive BB priv. Or Verizon & BB are holding out to see how a BB device is actually going to fly (or swim). If not then maybe they do get the Ice JJ Fish award. Then again, maybe they will get the IJJF award because BB is no longer on people's radar.

Who's going to do the IJJF dance for the phone that gets the dreaded award?

Answer: I think anyone who bought the phone that receives it should have to do their version of the dance and post it on DF.

We will see. For BB to have one foot in the grave and out of nowhere getting some hype they have to capitalize. If not then they have only themselves to blame.

trevath1.0_standard_709.0.jpg

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Your pic is too funny! I had to go into web view to give you a "funny" like.

And my initial thoughts on the BB priv... It gets the IJJF award for being plain ugly.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
I don't get it... But we'll see. After all it's not aimed towards myself. I'm curious more than anything but I don't get the rave reviews about it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

luvarcher

Reaction score
the specs are nice and for someone old fashioned this is a steal.. I've known quite a few who are so enamored with the physical keyboard thingy.. also their security features is top notch..