Blackberry Bold -> Droid Pro, LOVE It (b/c of keyboard), But Have Questions

M.J.H.

Reaction score
Not ONLY the keyboard let me make sure I specific - every single aspect of the phone is improved over Blackberry. Battery life big effin' deal get an extra home charger or two and keep one at work and get a car charger. When someone complains about battery life (because I used to) I am sorry but the better and more powerful phones get naturally the battery is going to die quicker.

Anyway!

1. How can you get an icon for the Universal Inbox? I can get to it through Messages first but that's annoying. I like that (similar to a Blackberry) you can group together Facebook messages, texts, emails, etc.

2. On Handcent messaging how can I get the Enter key on the physical keyboard to send a f-cking message!? (like the Blackberry)

3. How do you use Autotext? By far the MOST thing I am missing right now about the Blackberry - pressing "nn" and it typing my phone #, etc.

4. How do you know if the rooting you think you did actually worked? It seemed to but just want to confirm.

5. Are there any MUST have applications or settings that would help someone coming from 5-6 years of straight Blackberry to this phone?

Thank you!

Varelse

Reaction score
1) you cant
2) you cant
3) isnt that for the on screen keyboard?
4) if you have Superuser, then it should be rooted. Try downloading terminal emulator by Jack Palevich, then in the command type su. If the superuser request screen pops up, root is fine.
5) Not really, just play around with your phone for a day or so, youll get the hang of it within a week tops.

coming from a blackberry myself (about 4 years of blackberry time) i still miss the long press for capital letters, and the ability to quickly customize and switch profiles etc.

spydergirl

Reaction score
1) you cant
2) you cant
4) if you have Superuser, then it should be rooted. Try downloading terminal emulator by Jack Palevich, then in the command type su. If the superuser request screen pops up, root is fine.
5) Not really, just play around with your phone for a day or so, youll get the hang of it within a week tops.

coming from a blackberry myself (about 4 years of blackberry time) i still miss the long press for capital letters, and the ability to quickly customize and switch profiles etc.

Number 2 isn't entirely true from what I've been reading. I've been reading that Handscent app lets you use the enter key as the send button for messages so you don't have to reach up and touch the "send" button. Maybe I'm wrong?

I completely agree with your last comment about missing those options on the BBerry. But I like all the other options and features of the Droid, so I guess it's a small sacrifice.

Varelse

Reaction score
I dunno, i never used handescent(sp?)..
hell i dont even have a pro, im still on the D1.

BubbaRob

Reaction score
1) you cant
2) you cant

Number 2 isn't entirely true from what I've been reading. I've been reading that Handscent app lets you use the enter key as the send button for messages so you don't have to reach up and touch the "send" button. Maybe I'm wrong?

I completely agree with your last comment about missing those options on the BBerry. But I like all the other options and features of the Droid, so I guess it's a small sacrifice.

And the browser is so much better...thats what really pulled me over to try it over my Tour.

Varelse

Reaction score
I heard BB6 is actually pretty good.. but since i dont have a Torch, i dunno..

I miss the connectivity on my BB tho, for some reason, i always got some kinda coverage on that phone, but on my house hates my droid, and im almost always roaming around with no data coverage

Jackooze

Reaction score
1. Go to your drawer and select messaging, in there you can find all your messaging applications and even add facebook. The create a shortcut on the homescreen.

2. I use chompsms now but I am 100 % sure you can go to handcent settings and find where you can change the option to pressing enter to send. I've done it before.

3. You Cant you can only add new words to your dictionary, no abbreviations.
4. Downlaod Z4root from marketplace . Once you rooting has finished go to your drawer and look for superuser icon, if you see it then you are rooted dancedroid

5. I am coming from a blackberry bold
Heres a link that I KNOW YOU WILL FIND USEFUL (blackberry ringtones and notifications)
BlackBerryOS.com - BlackBerry Forums, News, and Help - Preloaded Ringtones download

I have all my notifications set like a BB

I also find very useful
Anycut
Wireless Thether
Adw.launcher
Adw.notifier
Chompsms

rgb2448

Reaction score
2. On Handcent messaging how can I get the Enter key on the physical keyboard to send a f-cking message!? (like the Blackberry)

Goto settings in handcent and then to send message settings and select which key you want to send the message on the keyboard.

akosnitzky

Reaction score
3) Take a look at Firekeys. It is the closest to what RIM has and they are very responsive