Black Market iPhone 6 Lines Show the Sleazy Side of iPhone 6 Fanaticism

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

If you had any doubt that the fanaticism of the iPhone craze is reaching a feverish pitch, the above video will likely shatter those doubts. A video blogger named CaseyNeistat posted a video to YouTube that shows us the growing dark underbelly of the iPhone opening day frenzy.

His video allows us to witness the Black Market which has grown up around the desire to be an early adopter of the latest iPhone. Most of the people you see in line are not there to buy the iPhone 6 for themselves. They are basically like ticket scalpers for a concert. They wait in line to be one of the first ones to get an iPhone 6. Then after getting it, they turn around and sell it for extra money to folks willing to pay, but not willing to wait in line.

Neistat shares a poignant point when he states that the spirit of fun which used to pervade the launch of a new iPhone is now gone. It's been replaced by something stupid and ugly. Obviously, this doesn't apply everywhere, but the fact that it is a growing phenomenon is something Apple should take a good hard look at. Share your thoughts.

[Editor's Note: There is some strong language in the above video.]

Last edited:

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
This is Truly Sad and only happens with these Apple iProducts. At least thats what I have seen.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I don't think this is so much about the iPhone, but moreso about making some quick cash to live comfortably for a few days. Look at how the crowds are filled with older people. These are people scraping by on little funds and a giant communication barrier. Quite sad really.

If you were in their shoes, wouldn't you spend the time to easily double or even triple your money in two days?

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Very sad indeed.

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I don't see a problem with this. Are we not a society of free enterprise? Why put restrictions on this and not others. What is is that people are upset with? Does it have anything to do with the nationality of those in the video? What if it was a line of all white folks and they resale them after initial purchase? Is that OK? If people are willing to pay over value of the item, so be it. Good luck in Russia, haters!

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with this. Are we not a society of free enterprise? Why put restrictions on this and not others. What is is that people are upset with? Does it have anything to do with the nationality of those in the video? What if it was a line of all white folks and they resale them after initial purchase? Is that OK? If people are willing to pay over value of the item, so be it. Good luck in Russia, haters!
You make some good points. Perhaps our perception is skewed by the tone of the video.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I say smart business in my opinion. Plus you have to look at who were in line, that money (easy money) is probably what they are counting on to feed their families. For the people at the end of the line crying foul I say quit your whining. Apple have other ways of getting their phone (ie pre-ordering through best buy, apple, or your carrier store). Yeah you may not get it day one... big deal you had to wait a few days or a week. I guess that means you can not show your face at the local coffee shop because you did not get an iPhone on day one.

AHHH first world problems.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This has been going on since the iPad 1 here in Virginia. It was a real bugaboo with the iPad 2 when a whole bunch of first batch had bad screens, glue not dried, etc. Folks paying the big bucks thought they were getting knock offs, violence ensued, police had to quell the madness.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

VirtualCLD

Reaction score
I'm afraid to know the answer to the question "If they stand, sit, eat and sleep in line for two days, where do they go to the bathroom?" That might be answered by the cop say "You stink!"
Technically, I have no problem with them buying up phones and reselling, them, that's there business. heck, if Apple decided there was no limit to the number of phones one person could buy on opening day, then the first person has every right to buy up their entire stock. Apple would never allow that, for exactly that reason.
The other question I have is, since when did Apple start accepting cash? I thought they had a credit card only policy.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
You mean to tell me if I went to their store to buy top of the line macbook pro for $3k and was going to pay cash, they would deny me sale? That would be pretty stupid from business point of view.

swc2001

Reaction score
1st off I feel exactly like EyeOWA,
2nd I just dont get why these inferior phones are such a big deal.
Why will people wait in line for DAYS!!! to get something on day one when they can wait an extra week and just stroll in any store and get it on that day? Just so weird. I have only done this once and that was for the PS2 back in the day. Totally NOT worth it.... could of had one 3 days later. I was 1st in line and was on the News though. LOL

Also it never fails with Apple the early editions are ALWAYS flawed.... ie things like Bendable phones. I just dont get it.