Black/blank home screen

DSMJon

Reaction score
I have been searching the board for a few days, and have not found a similar issue, my apologies if I've overlooked a thread/fix for this.

The problem began after attempting OTA .340 update, the phone was rooted via Z4 root before attempting the OTA. OTA update failed. I then did a factory reset, stock recovery, clear data, cache, etc.

The issue: The home screen comes up blank. The lock screen shows my previous background image (a pic I took, not a stock image). Once I unlock the screen, all I have is a blank, black screen. The notification bar is in place, I can receive calls and emails, use the web, can place calls via the voice dialer, things of that sort. I have no icons, cannot access the application menu, settings, etc.

Today I ran RSD Lite and attempted to install 2.1, but that update fails also. RSD lite gives failure reason as: "Failed flashing process. Phone [0000]: Phone not compatible with multi-interface super-file".

I believe that is all relevant info. Any suggestions before heading back to the store? I would prefer to fix this myself as opposed to attempting to get a replacement/fix from the big red V.

CxUNG

Reaction score
You have to UNROOT first then you can update. After update reroot again.

Sent from DROiDx using DROiDforumsAPP

luigi90210

Reaction score

this is not true
i was rooted on 2.3.15 using z4root and i just accepted the 2.3.34 update without unrooting and my phone was fine
i just lost root after updating so i just rerooted using z4root and i was back in buisness

jsw6380a

Reaction score

this is not true
i was rooted on 2.3.15 using z4root and i just accepted the 2.3.34 update without unrooting and my phone was fine
i just lost root after updating so i just rerooted using z4root and i was back in buisness

This is correct. When you go for the OTA update it will unroot it for you. It sounds like you aren't using the proper sbf.
Try this http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-rooted-help/100038-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html
This should atleast make sure that you are on the right track to sbfing.

OP
D

DSMJon

Reaction score
Thanks fellas. JSW, I will try that in a little bit. I had forgotten about the possible incompatability b/w the bootloader and current version.

jsw6380a

Reaction score
Cool deal. I think his guide to SBF lays it out the best and is the easiest to go by. Hopefully it works out for you. No way it could be a hardware issue right?

OP
D

DSMJon

Reaction score
Cool deal. I think his guide to SBF lays it out the best and is the easiest to go by. Hopefully it works out for you. No way it could be a hardware issue right?

Possible I suppose, but I don't believe so. It would be far too coincidental to be a likelihood. DL'ing the sbf from your link now, so we should see soon.

jsw6380a

Reaction score
Can you get into bootstrapper? Maybe restore a stable ROM or get back to stock ROM and start over..

OP
D

DSMJon

Reaction score
Got the Koush Bootstraper off the market, running the boostrap recovery nets the following msg:

"Error running exec(). Command: [su, -c, ./data/data/com.koushikdutta.droidx.bootstrap/files/surunner.sh] Working Directory: null Environment: null"

jsw6380a

Reaction score
I think it might be in order for you to get in there and wipe data factory reset and wipe your cache partition... See what that does..

OP
D

DSMJon

Reaction score
I've already done both wipes a few times. :/

jsw6380a

Reaction score
So you not have a backup to go to? If not try and post on that SBf link I gave you. There has got to be a way to sbf back. I am no master at SBf. Someone over there might be able to help further.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
D

DSMJon

Reaction score
I had used ROM Manager to create a backup, but evidently it didn't create... or I'm too bone headed to find where it is located. Either way, ROM Manager is not locating any backup files..

Playing with bootstrap recovery, got past the earlier error message. I wiped everything except for the SD card. While performing wipe data/factory reset, I get an error message of "E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command"