Black backgrounds save battery?

celtic11

Reaction score
Any truth to this? I've heard they save battery and in part it makes sense but at the same time, most of the time my screen is on I'm browsing the web or in an app so I'm not sure how much of a difference it really makes. I love black so Ill try it but has anyone saw any actual gains.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Since the manual says to keep the phone plugged in whenever possible, it's certain that live wallpaper drains more than static, and black uses less than that.
I've seen estimates of 2%.
Not something I worry about.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
If you're running a Motorola Droid, your screen is an LCD. Black or White, the backlight is still on and it will result in 0 battery savings. If you're running an AMOLED screen then yes, there is a little bit of a savings I've read.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Actually on the OG Droid it won't save any battery. With LCD screens the backlight is either on or off, of course you can change the brightness, but still on or off.

With the OLED technology (some phones have AMOLED and Super AMOLED screens), they are lit in a per pixel manner so individual pixels can be off, or black. Thus saving battery by having as much black as possible, at least in theory. Not sure how much is actually saved by doing that. I remember seeing a few threads somewhere (maybe on xda) where some tests were performed, but I don't recall statistics.

OP
celtic11

celtic11

Reaction score
That makes sense. Thanks for the replies.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App