Bitcoin/Ethereum

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by danDroid, Aug 9, 2017.

1. danDroid

danDroid Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +343
    Any one mining Bitcoin / Ethereum? I can't believe how much these coins have been going up in value over the past few weeks. I was into bitcoin a few years ago and then lost interest. If I only would have stayed in it!

I just got my mining rig going again last month. It's a Intel core i5 with a EVGA GTX 1070. It takes about 10 days to get 1/10th of an ether coin.

2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +933
    So you have a computer operating for 10 days to get something worth $30? Have you done the ROI on that?

3. danDroid

danDroid Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +343
    It depends if you calculate the ROI based on todays price, or what it could be worth in 1-2 years. I do it mainly for fun though.

Back in the day it use to take me about 2-3 weeks to get one bitcoin. At that time they were only worth $100 or so. Now they are worth over $3000 a coin! If only I would have held on to some....

4. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +933
    No - if the cost to mine > retail price then your mining operation has a negative ROI. You would be better off unplugging the computer and buying the coins on the exchange.

But I'm just giving you a hard time. I figured it was a hobby (because it doesn't sound like it would be a job!).

5. danDroid

danDroid Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +343
    I do purchase ethereum through coinbase every now and then. I'm planning on riding the wave and holding it for the long haul this time. It's not much fun just buying the coins though. I'd rather crack the whip on my miner, tweak some settings, and watch him work!

Nicehash is a good site to determine the ROI on different video cards: NiceHash

6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +933
    I'm just surprised you make any progress at all with that rig. I remember reading a couple of years ago that the Bitcoin miners had ridiculous setups and REALLY sucked the power to do their thing.

7. danDroid

danDroid Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +343
    Ether has had a good week, it's over $325 again. Here's a link to view my miner in action.

Balances - ethermine.org - The fastest way to mine Ether

I have it set to send me a payment once it hits .05 ether. It's going to be much easier to mine this winter when it's cold in the house. The miner will then become my little heater. Heck, I might have to move it to the living room :)

• Like Like x 2