Bit the Bullet!

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by sober, Jun 11, 2010.

1. sober

sober New Member

Haven't done much posting here, but ALOT of lurking and studying.....bit the bullet and appplied SPRecovery on wednesday, then flashed Bugless Beast 1.1 last night.

Went smooth and Easy! Much thanks to everyone who has posted "how to" articles and answered questions!

Just a couple quick questions if yall don't mind:

How do I know when to wipe data/cache when applying a new rom, theme, or kernel?

Does it hurt to use set cpu just to monitor cpu temp, even though i have read that BB doesn't need it? (im running the stock 600 right now, but may try out 800......seems way faster than normal as it stands!)

I have been downloading roms and themes to my laptop, moving them to my sd card on the phone, then opening with rom manager......is this the same thing to do with a kernel?

Sorry if some of these are obvious or already answered, but I'm kinda on information overload from the last few days of studying.

Thanks for all the help!
  2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Welcome to the "Dark Side"

I've not used a Rom that includes the OC but my sense is you should be able to use setCPU to monitor temp without issues.

As for installing kernels since you are using RM you should be able to download and install with RM.

Mike
  3. sober

sober New Member

I'm only using the free version of rom manager right now (not cheap, gonna buy the full version later tonight).

So I just place the kernel download file on my sd card, then open with rom manager, correct?
  4. mwhartman

I'm not sure how or if the free version of RM will allow. Give it a try. If you want to use SPR use the same process you used to install the rom.

Mike
  5. sober

sober New Member

ill give it a shot!
  6. mwhartman

OK Let us know how you make out.
  7. mcsinfl

mcsinfl New Member

I've only been doing this a couple months but here's what I do (I've never used pete's stuff, but have read great things). I think these rules apply regardless of rom choice

As a rule of thumb, especially when changing to a different developers rom, always wipe cache data and cache. a good app backup program helps speed up the application/setting recovery process

for themes, i usually do whatever the theme maker suggests...often rom/theme specific?

kernel, no wipe

somewhere in the forum there is a thread on this

yes, same for kernels. by the way I almost never plug in to a computer anymore, because of the droid i no longer carry my laptop to work anymore. download directly to droid, make changes using astro or root explorer...use rom manager or sprecovery to flash changes...just remember to always make backups. if your flashing from one recovery method to another (i.e. rom manager/clockwork vs sprecovery), make a backup of current rom in both recovery methods

and ps, don't know if bb1.1 is froyo or not, but froyo seems to give a huge performance boost
  8. sober

sober New Member

Thanks for all the info! BB 1.1 is NOT froyo, but after reading about it versus the froyo rom I decided to go with it for my first flash since everything works on it.

The first BB froyo I know had flash and maps issues, so I thought I would use a known good program for my first flash.

I will go to froyo soon! As soon as I read some good reports!
  9. sober

sober New Member

Another question.....when I flash from 1.1 to BB froyo will I also need to flash a new kernal to overclock? or remove the old one? Or will the existing one still work?
  10. mwhartman

Typically, you need to reinstall a new one. Based on the feedback, however, it seems that the new 2.2 OS is fast enough "out of the box"
  11. sober

sober New Member

Put in Pete's 1g LV kernel......worked just fine......thanks for the help guys!
  12. mwhartman

Glad everything worked for you.

Mike
  13. dbz443

dbz443 New Member

To overclock u need to install a kernel with the clock speed u want . Fyi set cpu doesn not monitor cpu temp just battery temp. The temp monitor app does both but I don't think there's a kernel out for froyo that supports cpu temp yet. If your new to rooting you should flash clockwork recovery and get used to using that. Its far supierior to sp. There's more options for formatting and wiping boot, cache, data, etc. Wipe all Three times and you will avoid a lot of the problems people have with roms. You don't have to rename anything to update zip or move the files to the root, you can install them from any folder there in. This means you can flash the rom, kernel, and theme all in one shot insteead of rebooting, rename, and moving each file. Hope this helps
  14. SupAll

SupAll New Member

I wouldn't use setCPU at all for BBv1.1 only because there the Pete file and setCPU will have conflicts. If you want to keep track of temp, I would recommend the BatteryLife widget.
  15. sober

sober New Member

Well, its been a almost a full day since installing the 1000mhz kernel and set cpu on BB1.1. Everything is jiving together perfect. Got my profiles set and battery life has not changed substantially, nor are my temps getting over 105f. I work in a non a/c garage and my phone sits in my toolbox, so it doesn't get a break from the weather!

As far as I know, setcpu is using a temp probe on or near the processor. It gives a reading usually quite a bit lower than my battery reading on the battery left widget.