Bit the bullet, got me a Droid X, rooted, questions about roms and themes

D

dvdcatalyst

After being a member here for about a year, I finally bit the bullet, and picked up a Droid X.
I work from home, so its a bit hard to justify a smartphone, but comparing monthly charges for the phone I had (prepaid) vs a contract, I noticed it did not differ to much, so now my w510 flip-phone is officially retired.

I pondered a few days on rooting, and I guess the hacker in me decided to go for it, and eventhough I ran into a few complications, I am now running Rubix Blur 1.0 with 968 Dark Glass. Initially I tried Rubix Focused 1.6 (which seems to be snappier) but after Dark Glass, the home button didn't work, so I flashed it to Blur instead, and now it works fine.

Before I ask my questions, this is mainly what I use my X for:

* Video. (of course :))

* Email. One of the main reasons for me picking the X is the larger screen. Besides making things easier to read, the onscreen keyboard is also larger than the physical keyboard on the 2, making it easier for me to respond to people who have questions in regards of my software. At nights as well as when I am out and about, I don't have access to my computer for responses, so this is where the X comes in.

* Internet. looking things up quickly whenever I want, or just to check the forums here for example.

* Being reachable. I don't call much myself, and I don't get called much, but people do try and reach me.

With the rooting I did quite a bit of research on these and other Android forums, but I have a few questions I could not find answers to.

Questions:

*Canned Responses.
For email I use gmail, and one feature I use quite a bit is "canned responses", which basically lets you save a draft as an easily selectable portion of text. In gmails web interface on a PC, this option is a quick dropdown, and when you select a draft from the dropdown, it inserts its contents into the email. For a few commonly asked questions, I have saved detailed information this way, and when needed, I can just insert the procedure into the email. Is there a way to use canned responses on the X, or an app that would do something similar (copy/paste of some sorts)

*WiFi/3G reception.
At home my reception is not the greatest, so I have it set up for wireless as well. Unfortunately, with Stock and both Rubix roms, I am having a hell of a time connecting to my wifi network. I have 3 different access methods, 1 set to WPA (my main router) and 2 set to WEP (a LocationFree box and another router used only as a wifi accesspoint) and on all 3 I am experiencing issues. With all other equipment, including netbooks, iPod Touch etc, I have no problems at all, but with the X as well as a modded Augen GenTouch, I'm having trouble with actually setting up the connection as well as when I turn them on. Is there a rom or app that would:
a. resolve the wifi issue and b. maybe increase my celltower reception a little, maybe by a voltage adjustment or different drivers of some sort?

*Startup apps.
Is there something like hijackthis or even msconfig for Android that would let me turn off crap that runs at startup? I noticed on a clean boot, there are a lot of things automatically running, which I don't need. Skype for example, but there are others as well.
I have auto memory manager installed, which seems to help a little, but I rather prefer to turn these things off myself. Just like on my computer, I rather have things start when I start them, rather than having them take up resources when I don't use them.

*Clean Rom.
I prefer performance over functionality (while maintaining/increasing battery-life), but also enjoy some eye-candy. If there are better options for the Rubix+Dark Glass combo, please let me know :)

Last edited by a moderator:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
DVD, I'm moving your thread to the X general discussion section where other X members will read and hopefully reply. Additionally, I am going to get ask the RS members who have X's to review.

Mike

OP
D

dvdcatalyst

DVD, I'm moving your thread to the X general discussion section where other X members will read and hopefully reply. Additionally, I am going to get ask the RS members who have X's to review.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I should have posted it there in the first place.

Thanks for your help.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
For the items running on startup: Autostarts - Android app on AppBrain

Cool, thank you, I'll give it a go :)

i wouldnt even mess with trying to keep them from starting and just remove them all together - using this
HomePage : Titanium Backup - Wiki

as for roms, i dont use them so i really cant help u out there - id just peruse the threads for them and see what each has to offer. although i do see rubix being one of the more popular ones

for wifi, by the sounds of it, you know more than i do about it so really cant help u there. im pretty sure wifi connectivity is a know issue with the DX, though

theres also this
Droid X Forum

where theres a lot more DX users

OP
D

dvdcatalyst

You are in good hands now!

:) It sure looks like it. Thanks again Mike.

For the items running on startup: Autostarts - Android app on AppBrain

Cool, thank you, I'll give it a go :)

i wouldnt even mess with trying to keep them from starting and just remove them all together - using this
HomePage : Titanium Backup - Wiki

as for roms, i dont use them so i really cant help u out there - id just peruse the threads for them and see what each has to offer. although i do see rubix being one of the more popular ones

for wifi, by the sounds of it, you know more than i do about it so really cant help u there. im pretty sure wifi connectivity is a know issue with the DX, though

theres also this
Droid X Forum

where theres a lot more DX users

Thanks for the response Abe,

I've been looking on the xforums as well, and google gave me a few other ones as well. The xforums are less active though, so I figured I'd give it a go here instead. You guys are nicer imho :)

Networking in general is not an issue for me. Before DVDCat, I used to be a network admin, and besides the standard stuff, I was specialized in remoting (Citrix and such), but it just seems that it might be an Android-issue. I have an Augen running 2.1 (and tried an Archos 7 running 1.6 as well) and also experience complications with connecting to wifi. With 2.1 and 1.6 I had to connect to the (less secure) wep ones, but the X does connect to the (Apple Airport) WPA one, it just doesn't seem stable.

I'll dig around the titanium backup site you linked to see if I can find something. I used the free version for a backup (as well as nandroid) when I rooted, but haven't played much with the rest. I'll also check the links in your sig, because it seems you have more in there that I could use :)

thanks again

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Now that you are Rooted you can Freeze apps like Skype and City Id with Titanium Backup Pro- available in the market. If you do decide to remove them completely make a list of them in case you ever need them.

If you have any task killers installed remove them. They do more harm than good. Any other questions you have about task killers can be found here:http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

Also for an alternative rom I would give ChevyNo1's SS X v1.0 a try, found here:ChevyNo1 - X - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum. I have used his rom for my droid and it has always been very smooth. I also got great battery life with it. As soon as I root my X I plan on putting that rom on it.

OP
D

dvdcatalyst

Now that you are Rooted you can Freeze apps like Skype and City Id with Titanium Backup Pro- available in the market. If you do decide to remove them completely make a list of them in case you ever need them.

If you have any task killers installed remove them. They do more harm than good. Any other questions you have about task killers can be found here:http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

Also for an alternative rom I would give ChevyNo1's SS X v1.0 a try, found here:ChevyNo1 - X - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum. I have used his rom for my droid and it has always been very smooth. I also got great battery life with it. As soon as I root my X I plan on putting that rom on it.

Thanks QuickSilver,

Appreciate the tips.

I just flashed Focussed back, which I like a bit better than Blur, but am now ready to flash Chevy's and see what happens.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Your welcome.
The first time i tried to post the thread had been moved so i had to retype every thing. lol
I hope you like Chevy's SS X.
I cant wait to try it.:)

OP
D

dvdcatalyst

Yeah, it was moved. I posted in the wrong section. SOrry about that.

Just got done flashing SSX, and it does do its name right. it looks stunning :)

I'll play with it a bit, and let you know. So far it seems to run smooth, but I need to make it more "mine".

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
also, DxF is a sister site, this being the main one :) let me know if u have any other questions

OP
D

dvdcatalyst

also, DxF is a sister site, this being the main one :) let me know if u have any other questions

Sure,

With the custom roms, I have (at the moment) one other question, and I can't seem to find it.
I'm not sure if its OK to ask, but I would like the original Droid X animation (with sound) back.
I tried opening the nandroid backup from SD, but nothing seems to work (win7).
I'm sure I could get to it eventually, but if there is an easier way, please let me know.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i dont think nandroids back up the boot animation. might wanna look around here for it...