Bionic won't work on WIFI in Brazil

magicalmassage

Reaction score
My wife is in Brazil with a Droid Bionic running ICS that she has been unable to get to work on WIFI while everyone else in the hotel is not having any problems. I don't expect her to be able to use the mobile network but did expect it to have complete WIFI functionality. At home this is on a Verizon network. What is displaying is the triangle with the red dot indicating no mobile carrier signal which we expect. The wireless network shows as connected with an excellent signal. Whenever she tries to access anything in the internet, she just gets a loading message which then displays continuously.

I've duplicated this at home (Florida) by putting my droid bionic into a metal ammo container and keeping lid almost closed so it was not connected to Verizon here and I had no problem connecting to the wifi signal (was only a few feet from router which is why the wifi signal was strong enough). The only difference seems to be that her signal strength bars were white while mine were blue.

I had my wife have the phone "forget" the connection and then scan for the network and try again with no luck. Is this what the reassociate app which I've heard of does? Since she can't connect, I can't get the app to her anyway at least on this network.

Suggestions? Thanks so much!!!!!!

andiguy

Reaction score
Perhaps she could try tethering to a friends phone to see if she can get internet that way. Not a real solution, but might help with the process of figuring it out.

OP
M

magicalmassage

Reaction score
Thanks

A bit beyond her technical skills but if I can't resolve it while she's there I'll definitely try that after she returns home. I remember on the way to the airport before her departure that she had placed her phone in my car dock and immediately the phone display became jittery. She then complained in Atlanta of not being able to text using an app - text plus - but her phone was able to make calls. Perhaps something happened to the phone itself but if it doesn't have access to the internet even when I get home not sure what direction to take since she then can't download any apps to diagnose or reinstall. Will she have any options to diagnose and fix without internet? I've not had to do anything like this with our bionics so still shooting blind and it's so frustrating not having it in my hands to try and figure out.
Thanks again for your thoughts.