Bionic won't turn on...

fixy2273

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else has had a similar problem, but I've had my Bionic for almost 2 weeks now. I've been happy with the phone and had no problems with it until this morning. I unplugged my phone from the charger and hit the power button, but nothing happened. I pressed it a few more times and still nothing. Took the battery out, put it back in and tried again... still nothing. Tried it while the phone was plugged in.. still nothing and the screen that normally comes on when the phone is powered off and charging didn't even come on. Fortunately, I ordered an extended battery and just received it yesterday. I took the original battery out and put the extended battery in and it is working fine. To say I'm a little concerned at this point would be an understatement though since the other worked for almost 2 weeks with no indication of a problem. Has anybody else had a similar problem and the stock battery is just junk? Either way, I'm not too happy right now.

Reaction score
Honestly, I would call them and tell them you want a new phone shipped. Better sauce it up a little though (happened a couple of times) and get a new one sent. Mine has never done that!! I think I would return it.

OP
F

fixy2273

Reaction score
I got it from a local Verizon store. I'll definitely be making a stop there this evening or tomorrow morning. I just felt the need to vent a little bit and see if anyone else has had any similar issues. Really hoping the battery is just junk, but who knows.

Reaction score
It may be just the battery, but I am paranoid. Thinking we paid wayyy to much for a phone that doesn't work absolutely perfect. And its damn close!!!

arcopress

Reaction score
Yup.. Mine did the same 16 days after purchase. Took it to VZW, thinking it was simply a defective battery. The tech popped in a new charged battery, STILL dead. He swapped out the phone..
Not a good sign, but at least he didn't make me wait 5 days for a 'refurbished' (there aren't any in the warehouse)..

dcruff

Reaction score
Same battery problem

After only a couple of days, I had the same battery problem (exactly). I went in to the Verizon store and they said that another customer had the same problem and they replaced his battery and it worked fine. So they replaced my battery and it worked fine too. Or so I think...
There may be another problem here at work. I have many different chargers and cables for charging mine and my wife's Droid phones. They've supposedly standardized the USB port to allow more flexibility in charging all of these phones. However, many Bionic owners have found that only select chargers and cables will work. Most of my chargers will not charge my Bionic. Also, I was used to plugging in my Bionic to my powered USB hub attached to my computer. It always worked in the past with my other phones (Samsung Galaxy, Motorola Droid 1). It was great because I could shut down my computer and the phone would still charge. With the Bionic, the phone stops charging when I shut down the computer. What's even more annoying, is that this was unexpected! I get up in the morning and go about my day only to find that my Droid was not charged. Now I have to look at the charging battery indicator every time that I plug in my phone to make sure that it is actually charging. My BMW motorcycle has a factory installed USB port so that riders can charge their phones on the road. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm concerned that it might not work either.
Back to the bad battery issue - maybe my battery wasn't bad after all. Maybe the phone had just died while plugged into my powered USB hub. I don't know because I didn't know about this flaky issue at that time.

Bro KV

Reaction score
I have had the phone not turn on about 5 times lately. I have been using it and put it in my pocket and when I take it back out it is dead and won't turn on till I pull the battery and replace it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

J5311

Reaction score
I had this problem. and made a post in the motorola forums. I don't think they really want to acknowledge they made auto bricking phones. I am glad I wasn't the only one. and if there are 2 there are 200.

I went back to verizon and I was 6 days out of the 14 day warranty window but they still switched it out for me. If they give you any trouble remind them that you payed $300 for it.

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/58667?tstart=30

Betascamed

Reaction score
I am new here registered here just for because my phone is acting up. I have this bionic for only 11 days and last night it was at 60% battery after 9 hours off charger and watching some youtube on wifi at home. I went to shower only took like 30 min then come back to check phone for messages and it was 5% battery left nothing was left on.

No background data on wifi was off I was getting good battery life then suddenly it went dead I had to put it on the charger. Well this morning I went to the gym phone is in my gym bag at 100% battery. I go to check the phone I try unlocking the screen I press power the phone buttons light up briefly but the screen never came on it stays black now the phone will not turn on at all. I pulled the battery put it back in the phone fires right up and says 100% battery. I am waiting for the verizon store to open in about an hour to return this for another one.

I cant imagine having to ever pull the battery to get the phone to turn on imagine in an emergency this is not right. The phone was in a padded bag no way it was something I did. I have not even installed any aftermarket apps yet.

This phone also seems to randomly loose its 3g data I will have to turn off data or put it in airplane mode to get data to come back on. No 4g yet till next month if goes live here according to verizon. I set phone to cdma only no lte Maybe my phone is a lemon sigh.

Last edited:

dcruff

Reaction score
Motorcycle USB works!

After only a couple of days, I had the same battery problem (exactly). I went in to the Verizon store and they said that another customer had the same problem and they replaced his battery and it worked fine. So they replaced my battery and it worked fine too. Or so I think...
There may be another problem here at work. I have many different chargers and cables for charging mine and my wife's Droid phones. They've supposedly standardized the USB port to allow more flexibility in charging all of these phones. However, many Bionic owners have found that only select chargers and cables will work. Most of my chargers will not charge my Bionic. Also, I was used to plugging in my Bionic to my powered USB hub attached to my computer. It always worked in the past with my other phones (Samsung Galaxy, Motorola Droid 1). It was great because I could shut down my computer and the phone would still charge. With the Bionic, the phone stops charging when I shut down the computer. What's even more annoying, is that this was unexpected! I get up in the morning and go about my day only to find that my Droid was not charged. Now I have to look at the charging battery indicator every time that I plug in my phone to make sure that it is actually charging. My BMW motorcycle has a factory installed USB port so that riders can charge their phones on the road. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm concerned that it might not work either.
Back to the bad battery issue - maybe my battery wasn't bad after all. Maybe the phone had just died while plugged into my powered USB hub. I don't know because I didn't know about this flaky issue at that time.

I just tested the USB on my BMW and it seems to charge the phone just fine. Still bothered by the other chargers not working...

star_topology

Reaction score
Same thing just happened to me. Completely dead. I've had the Black Screen of Death before, where I had a blinking notification, reached down to wake it up... unresponsive. Re-seated the battery when it did this in the past, but this time nothing happened.

Just had to issue a replacement (inside the 30 days) for a new Bionic from Wirefly that is being shipped overnight. The only downside to getting the phone $50 cheaper instead of buying at my local Verizon Store--the ability to get a replacement same-day. So disappointed, but I'm glad I at least had my OG Droid lying around to reactivate.

krammer66

Reaction score
Hi

I don't know if anyone else has had a similar problem, but I've had my Bionic for almost 2 weeks now. I've been happy with the phone and had no problems with it until this morning. I unplugged my phone from the charger and hit the power button, but nothing happened. I pressed it a few more times and still nothing. Took the battery out, put it back in and tried again... still nothing. Tried it while the phone was plugged in.. still nothing and the screen that normally comes on when the phone is powered off and charging didn't even come on. Fortunately, I ordered an extended battery and just received it yesterday. I took the original battery out and put the extended battery in and it is working fine. To say I'm a little concerned at this point would be an understatement though since the other worked for almost 2 weeks with no indication of a problem. Has anybody else had a similar problem and the stock battery is just junk? Either way, I'm not too happy right now.

I am currently going through what you should explained about your problem. Did you find out how to resove it? Please get back to me please.
[email protected]

Thanks

rayw796

Reaction score
The phone not waking up is a known problem and has an extensive forum discussion at Motorola. One evening I didn't realize my phone had gone dead and I placed it in the standard dock. Thought it was strange it did not go into the docked app, but thought maybe I had killed the extended battery. The next morning, it still wouldn't wake up and a battery pull didn't do it either. At this point the battery had died as it did not charge on the dock, I plugged it in to the regular charger, charged it for a while and it woke up. I have had it black out and refuse to wake up numerous times.

I don't know if problem is hardware or software at this point, neither does Motorola. I suspect software since it did not charge on dock, but did on regular charger.