Bionic update on Punit Soni's Radar.

josh1980

Reaction score
Interesting. Of course it will be interesting to see what the final terms and conditions will be for this "program". I guess I can see why the Atrix users are up in arms. They're at the bleeding edge of this guarantee, so they're trying to force the issue. I'll admit, between $100 back and an upgrade to ICS I'd take the upgrade. It's much cheaper. A close friend bought the X2, and he's upset he's not getting ICS. Since the X2 came out May 2011 I guess he'll be covered by this program too... supposedly.

SnydersWeb

Reaction score
I just read an article yesterday that IOS 6 adoption is at 25% while JB is 2 months old and has an amazing 1.2%. I do think this is comparing apples to oranges, but it does show a main difference between iThings and androids.

I truly think this is why Google bought Motorola. It's not a secret that the Android market is fragmented like crazy. It's one of the biggest pitfalls for Android. Google now owns a major share of the top of the line phones. If Google starts keeping phones up to date and providing good update schedules for phones, other companies will have no choice but to start doing the same. This seems very evident from the comments from Punit as well as the info from the deceased 244 thread that Google is trying to turn the ship around.

The real question is how long will it take to change things. Unfortunately, I'm somewhat expecting the phones released before this summer to likely be kicked to the curb and not supported very well. But the next generation of phones may have amazing support IF my hypothesis of Google/Motorola is true.

In any case, it's a known fact that Android's fragmentation may be its downfall in the future and something needs to be done before its too late.

For Android to have a vibrant future, the carriers have to have a much more diminished role than what they have. These things are gradual - and right now the battle is as uphill as it's going to get. If the relationship between Google + manufacturer can twist the carriers arm successfully then they can in turn use that against the other US carriers as well. We shall see.

The other half of is likely easier - where Google can put certain criteria on the manufacturers. That they can say if you're going to do an Android phone, then you have to also agree to update it. They already do some of this anyway (recently they made a manufacturer kill a device - forget which one).

It's just my opinion that Google bought Moto first for the patents, but in the end Google also now seems set on transforming Motorola into a "blueprint" of how an Android phone manufacturer needs to be - and good for them for doing this.

avlambo21

Reaction score
The link I posted above PROVES this statement, though. Droid-Life is not always a trustworthy source. I could email them that Android 10.0 Xylitol was just released, and they'd publish it *LMAO*

lol true, just the first place i remember seeing it where i could grab a link... but you still beat me too it haha

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Of course it will be interesting to see what the final terms and conditions will be for this "program". I guess I can see why the Atrix users are up in arms. They're at the bleeding edge of this guarantee, so they're trying to force the issue. I'll admit, between $100 back and an upgrade to ICS I'd take the upgrade. It's much cheaper. A close friend bought the X2, and he's upset he's not getting ICS. Since the X2 came out May 2011 I guess he'll be covered by this program too... supposedly.

It's gonna be simple. If your device was made in 2011 and doesn't get JB, they will give you a $100 off one of the new RAZR devices. Of course, since alot of people will be left with a bad taste of Moto anyways, this will not mean a whole lot. And with most of us paying full retail to keep unlimited data, $100 off is not much at all.

josh1980

Reaction score
It's gonna be simple. If your device was made in 2011 and doesn't get JB, they will give you a $100 off one of the new RAZR devices. Of course, since alot of people will be left with a bad taste of Moto anyways, this will not mean a whole lot. And with most of us paying full retail to keep unlimited data, $100 off is not much at all.

I'll be buying mine new from Ebay or Amazon. I've learned that a month after a new phone hits the market you can get it at the "in-store post rebate contract" price without the contract! :D

Edit: Forgot to add that I somehow think there will be the requirement that to get the rebate you must purchase the phone at a VZW store.

avlambo21

Reaction score
as i said the old .244 thread. android needs to sell for all wireless providers (ie European style or the GNexus in the GPlay Store) unlike our American style exclusives and stuff

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll be buying mine new from Ebay or Amazon. I've learned that a month after a new phone hits the market you can get it at the "in-store post rebate contract" price without the contract! :D

Edit: Forgot to add that I somehow think there will be the requirement that to get the rebate you must purchase the phone at a VZW store.

Not sure, but I guess it's a "trade-in" type of deal. Sure, they will send you a $100 rebate - but you NEED to send them your old device.

josh1980

Reaction score
Not sure, but I guess it's a "trade-in" type of deal. Sure, they will send you a $100 rebate - but you NEED to send them your old device.

They haven't announced the conditions. The bottom of the web page says that further details and eligibility will be provided at a later date. That's why I said they'll make you buy it at VZW. Then you'll have to pay full price for it, or take the VZW rebate and forfeit your unlimited data. No way this will be a "free lunch" type of deal. I'm betting there's going to be some kind of requirement to the rebate that will make a lot of us give up the $100 rebate from Motorola.

Deebo

Reaction score
They haven't announced the conditions. The bottom of the web page says that further details and eligibility will be provided at a later date. That's why I said they'll make you buy it at VZW. Then you'll have to pay full price for it, or take the VZW rebate and forfeit your unlimited data. No way this will be a "free lunch" type of deal. I'm betting there's going to be some kind of requirement to the rebate that will make a lot of us give up the $100 rebate from Motorola.

I think this is exactly how its gonna go down.

Just_AGuy

Reaction score
By the time they actually give the discount, I'll of bought a new phone already. It'll be a developer version @ full price to keep my unlimited plan.:angry: