Bionic turning off on its own?

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Yea, Verizon told me the same thing, so I did a reset, installed no apps, the phone shut itself down on the second day.

I was told by a Verizon rep that some apps can glitch and cause the phone to reboot because of system failure... of course he was trying to sell me an iPhone with that statement since apple regulates the app store

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

donzz

Reaction score
Mine has done this twice now in the last 3 days. It just shuts down and a battery pull is the only way I can turn it back on.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mine has done this twice now in the last 3 days. It just shuts down and a battery pull is the only way I can turn it back on.

From Page 53 of the Bionic Manual:

Crash recovery
In the unlikely event that your smartphone stops
responding to touches and key presses, try a quick
reset. Remove the back cover and battery (“Assemble &
charge” on page 3), then replace and switch your
smartphone on as usual.

donzz

Reaction score
From Page 53 of the Bionic Manual:

Crash recovery
smartphone on as usual.

It's not the "how" it's the frequency!

Indigenous

Reaction score
My Bionic shuts down occasionally, sometimes it will go for a few days without shutting down, other days it will shut down on it's on 2 or 3 times. But when I use Moto-Speak, it's guaranteed to shut down every single time I use it. Oh, I use the original battery. The only way to bring the phone back to life is pull the aforementioned original battery. ;)

Involute

Reaction score
My bionic just started having this issue, shortly after the the 5.5.893.XT875 ota update - never had it before (have had the phone for only 3 months) it worked flawlessly before the update. Since then, several BSODs, usually over night, and of course I'm late for work with a pathetic excuse. I may have to go old school with a wind up clock if I can't trust Motorola to get this simple thing right. After the battery pull, I have noticed at least once that the battery is almost flat dead; and I know that it was at least 90% the night before. Could it be related to all or some of the other apps in the background? I often have 30 or so (I haven't been using a task killer).

by the way, still using the original battery - no extended battery - won't fit in the otter box.

Last edited:

DBionic

Reaction score
Followed the forum anxiously awaiting release....#2 in line @Costco on release day......had some data drops but not as much as others....no BSOD's...UNTIL...I accepted 5.5.893.XT875 ota update -NOW I have BSOD...& dropped data....called Verizon, Level 2 Tech Support did a "safe mode" test for 24 hrs.....that resulted in nothing.......they called motorola and gave them my info and told me to call.......I did....said problem not widespread must be a app confiict....said I should do a hard reset(I have not done since BSOD doesnt happen daily).....I asked if anyway possible to rollback to previous - No ....so, I guess I'm stuck and will eventually do a hard reset.....oh, I use standard batt

don_droid

Reaction score
Mine does this too and I have the normal battery and it has happened from day one. It happens a few times a week. Some times I have to do a battery pull, but not normally. This is a fairly well documented problem with the firmware of the Bionic. It seems to be widespread across many people and configurations. Another thing we are waiting for Moto to fix.

tgb

Reaction score
I am Currently on my 3rd bionic.
#1 died within an hour of activation
#2 just recently decided to randomly reboot itself while i was charging it and then it froze and i heard the sound of something like static
#2 was relaced at the local Verizon store with a new one along with new sim(lost my two contacts i remembered(
Now im waiting on #3 a referb sent to me to crap out

PhoebeAnn

Reaction score
Yes, the "Black Screen of Death." Nothing short of a battery pull can fix it. I wonder if it is indeed an extended battery thing. If so it's odd as this is coming from Verizon and not a 3rd party.
I had this with an original Droid hand-me-down, which VZW could never get to work. Then with my first Bionic purchased in October, which I returned. I apparently don't learn good, 'cause I bought another one in January. Same problem. I'm beginning to think it's a Motorola feature. No extended batteries in any of them; fails with either of two standard batteries I use now.

#1 Bionic failed with no additional apps installed, two days after I bought it. #2 hasn't failed yet since updating to .902, but it's only been a week or so.

Last edited:

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
I had absolutely awful random reboots and BSODs and battery pulls on 5.886, 5.893, and 7.893.
As soon as I installed 901 in December (and now 902), I've had maybe one random reboot, which was caused by a wonky app I was doing some funky stuff with anyway. Same with BSODs, the phone itself is solid as a rock, but this one app in particular likes to force close itself and cause all kinds of problems and BSODs. (The app in question is GTA3, by the way). If I don't play that game, I don't see any problems at all.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had this with an original Droid hand-me-down, which VZW could never get to work. Then with my first Bionic purchased in October, which I returned. I apparently don't learn good, 'cause I bought another one in January. Same problem. I'm beginning to think it's a Motorola feature. No extended batteries in any of them; fails with either of two standard batteries I use now.

#1 Bionic failed with no additional apps installed, two days after I bought it. #2 hasn't failed yet since updating to .902, but it's only been a week or so.

On page 53 of the Bionic Manual:

Crash recovery
smartphone on as usual.

So it was pretty much expected (in the Razr Manual, it says to hold Power and Volume Down for 10 seconds). When I went to .901 (and ultimately to .902) it hasn't happened.