Bionic Stuck at Motoroa Boot Screen after Flashing ROM

Dereement

Reaction score
Hello all. I tried to flash my Bionic because I was on an older version and because it was taking around 8 minutes for my phone to come up from a reboot. I thought a new ROM might fix whatever it was that I had done to my phone. Now I am unable to get a new ROM to take on the phone. I was able to install this ROM:
Bionic-EclipseICS-v1.1.zip BUT when I reboot it just stuck at the initial Motorola screen with the red M and never progressed past that screen. I tried to clear the cache partition but it still stuck at the initial screen.

Before attempting this I used ClockworkMod to make a nandroid backup and saved it on my PC and on the external SD card., along with a Titanium Pro backup of all apps and update.zip. I would be happy to restore that again but could not get it to work.

I tried to follow these instructions to get it back to stock: How to Flash Droid Bionic Back Stock | Android Advice & Tutorials
but it fails on step 1/15. I tried moving the targa_cdma_targa-user-2.3.4-5.5.1_84_DBN-55-110814-Verizon-US.tar.gz file to the root of C:\ and flashing but it still fails after uncompressing it.

The phone stats before I tried this were:
Android version 2.3.4
System version 5.9.905.XT875.Verizon.En.Us base
Kernel Version 2.6.35.7
Build 5.5.1_84_DBN_74
ERI Ver: 5
PRL Ver: 152.56

Also the phone has been hooked up to a charger all night, yet stuck on the Motorola boot screen, yet when I go to Fastboot it still says, "Battery Low, Cannot Program."
How can I get it to take a charge? It was plugged into the wall all night (turned on, could not get it to turn off), yet did not charge?

Thanks for any advice.

OP
D

Dereement

Reaction score
Hmmm, nothing? Should I just trash it? It seems like it should be pretty straight forward on how to put a factory ROM back on it, or restore my nandroid image, neither of which work.

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
The reason it is not looping is that you were trying to flash an ICS ROM on a gingerbread base. The bionic can't hop over android versions like that because of the locked bootloader. Did you try pulling the battery? That will shut it off. The phone will not charge when it is on the bootloader screen. If needs to at least be at the recovery screen. Were you using bootstrap or safestrap? I've never had the rsdlite fix not work so I'm not sure what you should do next. I do know that rsdlite requires that your phone has a certain level of charge so it can finish the process.

OP
D

Dereement

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. This should get me back on track. If I download a stock gingerbread ROM that should get me back running. I can then incrementally flash it with newer versions to get to where I wanted.
How come the Nandroid backup is tarballs and not recognized by the Android System Recovery (3e) utility? I thought that backup would keep me from getting in this predicament, but I cannot get it to be recognized by Recovery because it is not ZIP format.

Thanks.

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
Sorry about the late response. Really busy weekend. That is correct. Once you have received the OTA for ICS you will be able to flash ICS ROMs. I would stay in ICS as JB development isn't has high and some people have had problems rooting with JB.

I'm not sure why your nandroid back up did not work. It could have been corrupted when you transferred it to your computer.