Bionic software upgrade potential

lanza_david

Reaction score
What do you guys think Moto and Google who owns it will do about upgrading the Bionic? Will they at least bring it up to ICS?

I think that it being their "flagship" phone now they should, shouldn't they?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

nnelzen

Reaction score
Google will own Motorola Mobility, but they will stay two completely separate companies. Google only bought Motorola Mobility to have rights to their patents to use in their endless legal battles with Apple, but they can't risk loosing other manufactures like HTC or Samsung by giving Moto a leg-up over them.

OP
L

lanza_david

Reaction score
Now, that said, anybody else about what you think their upgrade path will be?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

googlelover

Reaction score
The Bionic will be released with Gingerbread, almost no doubt about that as its wayy to late in development process to change that, and Google has made manufacturers promise to at least update phones for 2 years, so I'm assuming the Bionic will at least get the next 2 major versions of the OS, and since it has dual core and 1 Gig of ram, it will probably keep up with OS versions for a few months after that at least as long as their is a strong dev community backing it.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google still hasn't even purchased Motorola Mobility, so assuming they will be able to change anything they do in the next few months or this next year is unlikely.

tcayton49

Reaction score
The Bionic will be released with Gingerbread, almost no doubt about that as its wayy to late in development process to change that, and Google has made manufacturers promise to at least update phones for 2 years, so I'm assuming the Bionic will at least get the next 2 major versions of the OS, and since it has dual core and 1 Gig of ram, it will probably keep up with OS versions for a few months after that at least as long as their is a strong dev community backing it.

^^^This

Google still hasn't even purchased Motorola Mobility, so assuming they will be able to change anything they do in the next few months or this next year is unlikely.

^^^And this.
Purchase might not be finalized until late this year/early next year, so I wouldn't expect it to effect the Bionic at all.