Bionic Screen/Picture Issues

Cowpoke

Reaction score
I took mine off and it brightened and sharpened the image a bit. It had no effect on the "screen effect" however (actually made it slightly worse as the contrast between the colors and black dots was greater). I'm sure there are some screen covers that exagerate the effect, but its pretty obvious even with no screen.

OP
F

fearnoone330

Reaction score
Very good point. I have noticed the "grainy" image with an anti glare screen protector too. Have any of you with the screen complaints put a screen protector on at all? Have you tried taking it off to see if it's the screen or the plastic film?
t

I have removed the screen protector with no improvement

chris420o

Reaction score
honestly i know exactly what ur talking about...but its not every pic...its a few pics...like this girl i know sent me pics(be mature guys) and i was kinda pissed that they look so much worse ont his screen then on my og droid(sent from a bb fyi)...i also took some pics in vegas(same girl) n they looked good on my og but now the quality looks worse....buttt when i put the pics on my comp i notice they look how they do on the bionic...i think its bc the resolution on the og droid is so low that they look better and the bionic is so much higher that u notice the imperfections similar to how u notice it on the comp screen...the pics i took in vegas were on my dx not the og fyi i had to borrow my dads dx bc my og cam was broken and i knew i needed a cam on me at all times in vegas lol.....but that might be the issue its almost a non issue if u think about it kinda an is what it is/what u gonna do

OP
F

fearnoone330

Reaction score
First of all, I want to thank everyone for trying to help. I called technical support today and they seem to believe my phone is defective. They aagreed with me that my picture, no matter how low the quality, or from what the source is (sd card pic, web browser pic, etc) , the viewing
quality should be at the very least, AS GOOD AS my original droid. However it is not. The viewing quality looking at the same pic with my Bionic is MUCH worse. Hopefully exchanging my Bionic for another one will fix the problem.

them0nk

Reaction score
i think chris420o is on to something... that makes a lot of sense and i never thought of it that way... a lower resolution picture stretched to fit on a larger screen always looks like ass... check the resolution of the picture and see if that has anything to do with it...

and to elaborate more... if you called tech support and they said no matter how low quality... that doesn't make any sense to me either if the picture is 640x480 and you put it fullscreen on a 1280x960 screen --- unless the screen is the same size in the physical world the picture wont look right. the reason for this is as you increase the physical size of a picture and NOT the resolution the graphics processing has to "make-up" what is happening... and there is a loss of quality. just for an absurd example take a screen shot of your desktop on your computer, crop it down to one icon, then maximize that picture to be full screen. Viola pixalation. the only program that i've found that doesn't do it AS BAD as everything else is photoshop...

i haven't read the Whole post but maybe try to attach a picture to the post or something... i mean if we all look at the exact same picture we can all say "it looks like crap" or something... just so you know if it's *your* phone doing it or not.

chris420o

Reaction score
i think chris420o is on to something... that makes a lot of sense and i never thought of it that way... a lower resolution picture stretched to fit on a larger screen always looks like ass... check the resolution of the picture and see if that has anything to do with it...

and to elaborate more... if you called tech support and they said no matter how low quality... that doesn't make any sense to me either if the picture is 640x480 and you put it fullscreen on a 1280x960 screen --- unless the screen is the same size in the physical world the picture wont look right. the reason for this is as you increase the physical size of a picture and NOT the resolution the graphics processing has to "make-up" what is happening... and there is a loss of quality. just for an absurd example take a screen shot of your desktop on your computer, crop it down to one icon, then maximize that picture to be full screen. Viola pixalation. the only program that i've found that doesn't do it AS BAD as everything else is photoshop...

i haven't read the Whole post but maybe try to attach a picture to the post or something... i mean if we all look at the exact same picture we can all say "it looks like crap" or something... just so you know if it's *your* phone doing it or not.

yeah exactly...i dont think its a problem at all with the bionic as much as its a problem with the picture/the phone that took it lol...what u gonna do

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Looks fine to me on the Bionic, when viewing the image in Tapatalk. Haven't tried using the mobile browser on this thread yet.

OP
F

fearnoone330

Reaction score
If the image size hasnt been altered, should the Bionic viewing quality be AS good or better than og droid?

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
any photo can look different on a different display.
the resolutions between the Bionic and the D1 are considerably different.. put a low res photo on the Bionic and it's going to look substantially different due to the resolution and the screen size.

ckleinfeld

Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck resolving this issue? On my second Bionic and I've seen this issue on both. Some pics, not all. Best I can describe is that they look "cartoonish". Always pictures of people, mostly issues resolving flesh tones. They appear very over saturated with red. It's also dependent on brightness setting. Brighter the screen, the worse the problem. Talked to both vzw and moto, assumed the device was defective. Pretty confident it's inherent to our displays....very much hoping otherwise though.

TyrantII

Reaction score
The Bionic is a larger screen with less pixel density than the D3. Still, things should look better than a OG Droid.

Do the picture look fine when uploaded to a high resolution screen of a computer?

Sounds like you're just seeing the weakness of its qHD screen?

OP
F

fearnoone330

Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck resolving this issue? On my second Bionic and I've seen this issue on both. Some pics, not all. Best I can describe is that they look "cartoonish". Always pictures of people, mostly issues resolving flesh tones. They appear very over saturated with red. It's also dependent on brightness setting. Brighter the screen, the worse the problem. Talked to both vzw and moto, assumed the device was defective. Pretty confident it's inherent to our displays....very much hoping otherwise though.

That was a MUCH better description than mine. They gave me 2 different bionic phones and it is all the same. I love the phone but the picture issue just kills it

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
Hmmm.. just downloaded the UFC picture to my phone.. It' looks fine. I have NO CLUE what the OP is complaining about..

EDIT: I do notice that if you look at the picture extreme different angles, the screen tones change, but when looking straight on, it looks perfect.

Took a pic of my phone with my 6 year old P&S camera..What am I missing?
IMG_1075.jpg

Last edited: