bionic running slooowwww...what can I do?

Discussion in 'Droid Bionic Tech Support' started by kahuna, Oct 8, 2013.

1. kahuna

kahuna New Member

I have a bionic which is in excellent condition so I don't want to replace if I don't have to. The problem is that it runs extremely slow much of the time and as an example it can sometimes take 10 - 20 seconds to tap through the security lock and unlock the phone. Launching apps is equally slow and I've taken to running system panel lite to shut down apps after which it runs more quickly for a while. the phone is not rooted and is running 4.1.2. Is there any hope reducing the latency of this phone? thx!
  2. FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo Member

I am having the same issues. Sometimes it takes 10-15 seconds to get through my pattern lock. Other things are slow. I sometimes get the redraw issues reminiscent of the last days of my OG Droid. Chrome is unusable. No help for you, just a bump and monitor
  3. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

Any new apps that you guys just got? I've had phones go nuts when they dont like a particular app. Maybe try a factory reset and then live with it for a short while without any apps as a test. It's not like the Bionic is a slow phone so something has to be awry!
  4. FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo Member

Chromecast is my only new app in 6 months, but it was having issues before that
  5. TechNewbie

TechNewbie New Member

Slow going, no knowledge

I am having the same issue, very suddenly, with my Bionic. It's been great for 2 years, but now it barely functions. Ironically, Verizon pushed through an "update" a couple months ago and that's when all the trouble started.
    I have little to no knowledge in this area. Is there anything I can do to "undo" the update and/or otherwise improve its function? I haven't downloaded new apps recently and in fact have uninstalled a bunch to try to alleviate the problem. This may sound stupid, but does clearing the cache do anything?
    I've spent the past 2 hours reading other posts. Would rooting allow me to improve the performance?
    Thanks for any advice you can give.
  6. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

I had about the same types of issues which got a little better when I stopped using stock browser and started using Dolphin browser as my default, but then I started seeing a small area under the screen which looked like some type of gel, around the area where the slide to unlock is, and my bionic again started doing the funny stuff occasionally but still better than it did when I used stock browser. Anyways I got tired of it and contacted VZW for a replacement (I have extended warranty $1.99/ Mo) and they just sent me a CLNR Bionic and it's been running very good on 4.1.2 that it came with. Not sure if the bionics that we all have is just having these problems due to the amount of time we had them for or not, but it definitely is better now with the replacement Bionic....JFYI
  7. Underwater Mike

Underwater Mike New Member

FWIW, I've tried wiping, resets, eliminating the window and transition delays, etc. My Bionic is stock but rooted; my son's is bone stock. They're both slow as tar. I think they just can't handle Jelly Bean.

No solution that I know of, except getting a new phone. I hate to do that, because both our Bionics are in excellent condition. But, I'll sometimes wait more than a minute for apps to launch, screen presses to register, etc. Just can't tolerate it any more.
  8. tgyberg

Well the good news is the newer phones are absolutely awesome! The Bionic was a good phone but if you go to a newer Moto or GS4 or LG G2 or Note, it will ease the pain!
  9. Underwater Mike

Going for Nexus 5 over here. Also moving to prepaid monthly on T-Mo and giving up my unlimited data on VZW. Verizon is just too draconian with locking down its phones, etc. T-Mobile seems to want the business more, so I'll try them instead.
  10. tgyberg

Your unlimited account is worth about $200 on ebay. Just fyi!
  11. Underwater Mike

Seriously? How do you sell an account?
  12. zomnomnombie

zomnomnombie Active Member

Assumption of liability with Verizon.
  13. tgyberg

14. chackett

chackett New Member

My wife and I also both have the Bionic. For about 2 years they were awesome phones. Perfect size, fast, 4g .. good to go. Now they are almost unusable. What the heck happened to them? Mine is a little worse than the wife .. but they're both really awful.

Read the bit about selling the unlimited data plans from Verizon. We have two phones on this plan with Verizon on a month-to-month no contract scenario. I can't believe they are selling for >$550 .. guess I know how I'm funding my new phones...

But seriously .. if anyone has solved this other than with a new phone, I would be interested to hear about it.
  15. Dalvik_Cache

Dalvik_Cache DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Get a new phone?! Haha, just kidding. But really...
  16. moset

moset Member

Sorry if it's already been said but I scanned and didn't see. Have you tried wiping cache? Both system and apps? Also if your storage is low as in lots of apps that could effect performance.
    As for your unlimited data you can pay full price for new phones or get subsidised phones if you're eligible for upgrade and go with Verizon Max plan if you think 6 gig is enough data per month. It will cost the same, $30/mo. If all else fails try a factory data reset.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
  17. FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo Member

I have a post early in this thread complaining about my sloooooooooooow Bionic dated 10/08. A few days after that post I was finally at the end of my rope. Did the FDR. I had instantaneous speed again. Thought I would wait a few days to see if it stayed or what happened to post about it, but I forgot. So now it has been 4-6 weeks. I think I put everything back on that I had before. Still running quick and smooth.

Bite the bullet and FDR!
  18. Human_Droid

Human_Droid Member

I'm having issues too. I think Verizon or Android is screwing with our phones. Silently installing crap we don't need... With my phone things have begun to run slow. The touch screen is very unresponsive. Then later on during the day it seems fast and fine. It makes no sense.

I'm unfamiliar with doing any FDR things with this phone nor how to do it. Can anyone explain how to clean the cache, FDR, etc etc
  19. moset

moset Member

Check your storage available. My Razr had been running slow and having strange issues. I found that I was down to less than a gig internal storage and just over a gig SD card. After deleting some unneeded stuff things seem to have improved greatly. Time will tell. I now have over 3 gig on each.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
  20. FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo Member

FDR is Factory Data Reset. It cured my evils, but it means wiping everything and returning completely back to stock. Make sure your contacts are backed up. If you use Gmail thats done. I use My Back Up Pro to back up calls, text, and many settings to take some of the pain out of setting things back up. Make sure to remove your SD card before you FDR to save your pics, vids etc (assuming you already store them there. If not, move them first, or they will be gone too after FDR)

To do a FDR Menu>Privacy>Factory data reset
Search tags for this page

android bionic running slow

bionic 2 running slow

bionic 4.1.2 slow
doid bionic running slow 2013

droid bionic moving slow

droid bionic running slo

droid bionic running slow

droid bionic running slow 2013

droid bionic running very slow

droid bionic slow and unresponsive