Bionic Reviews decent or wait till Prime?

bigdad63

Reaction score
Same here. I went to VZW today and played with one for 15 seconds and instantly saw the graininess of the screen. Even compared to my OG droid you could see NOTICABLE graininess. :(
Holding off for the prime since the SGS2 broke my heart and wont be coming to VZW.

I didn't want to say it, but I also think that my D1 screen looks better. So I will wait on the prime.

Gremlin

Reaction score
I ended up going with the bionic.. Screen looks good...

What graininess are you talking about?

Bitterbeard

Reaction score
I didn't want to say it, but I also think that my D1 screen looks better. So I will wait on the prime.

I see what you guys are saying but it is a transitional graphic between screens that makes everything look pixelated as it moves. You can turn it off but I liked the way it looked. After your first post bigdad63 I got some pictures loaded up between my Fascinate and the Bionic and the difference is very slight, on web graphics the pixeling almost looks like how old school gif graphics load in where they are blury until the picture loads. Instead of blur they used a pixeling effect.

That's what it looks like to me.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Engadget, Cnet, Gizmodo have reviewed the Bionic the reviews seem pretty good but in Gizmodo's review they claim to wait in Oct for Samsung Prime which will have Ice Cream Sandwich OS and 1.5 Dual core.. hmmm what to do

Before I bought the Bionic, I asked the manager at vzw about the prime. He never heard of it, which isn't unusual. Either way I'm happy with my choice. Until Cray comes out with a phone, I'm good to go :D

cb2000a

Reaction score
if you wait for the Prime, by the time it's released the next great phone will have been announced and will be 2 months away.. so you wait for that one.. and another phone is announced for Q1 of next year so you wait... and then another phone is announced....

Bionic is the best device available today on any carrier. If you're ready to upgrade from whatever your current device is then do it... or you'll be waiting waiting waiting forever.

Every year there are minor updates and major advancements. The Prime is a major advancement and well worth waiting for.

bigdad63

Reaction score
it's not the transitions that bother me it's the kind of 'looking through a fine mesh' appearance of this particular type of screen. If you get a chance run the same videos (YouTube is handy for this) on the biopic (or x2 since they are the same screen) and the charge. I notice a distinct difference in the sharpness quality of the 2 screens. Some people don't notice it or it doesn't bother them. Some people will choose the increased brightness of the bionic's screen over the amoled. Just a matter of personal preference.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
In the store today, crammed into my little counter space at Verizon there was a man and a wife next to me buying the laptop dock for their Bionics. I just don't get why people buy those things and everybody was getting them.

It really is a neat little thing. If it wasn't for the price I wouldn't mind one. I think it's a way for people to just surf the web and what not with the ease of laptop design. It's cool, but WAY to pricey for my blood.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree, the look of the screen on my D1 is better. I don't mean to put anyone down, but really, how can you not see the graininess? The "mesh" look is horrendous. Same as X2 and D3. I hope Moto improves the screen next time around.

As cb2000a stated some devices carry minor updates while others carry major advancements. Bionic is a classic example of a minor update. The Prime will be a major advancement. Let's hope the Prime comes soon, I need a new phone badly.

Last edited:

Gremlin

Reaction score
So how can you see that there is no graininess :p .. Sorry the screen is fine for me.. Take it out on the sun I can still see the screen without increasing the brightness like I have to do it in the OG droid.. The only thing negative for me so far is the speaker sound but hey I can still hear it..

Watched netflix movie...and seems fine for me...

gsDroid

Reaction score
I'm very happy with the Bionic. I only notice the 'graininess' if I look for it, and it doesn't bother me at all in the normal course of things. The camera takes beautiful pics and I love the feel of it in my hand and its speed.

cp24eva

Reaction score
Got my bionic....couldnt be happiee atm. And um new to verizon but man adw is great. Im burnin alot of battery messin with it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Lars

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I am so torn on what to do! On the one hand, I have been considering the Bionic for the past couple months and it is *currently* the best phone on the market. My OG Droid has also been having issues lately (losing all data connection and requiring a restart, lack of memory, and random restarts) but I think I can wait if necessary. However, my dad has the X2 and during the few times that I have used it, I always notice the difference in the screen. I'm not sure if I notice it positively or negatively, but it always catches my eye. That said, I may just be biased against the screen because I don't like the X2 in general; I prefer the touch buttons utilized on most other Android phones over the physical buttons on the X2.

I might just have to take a break from studying and head over to Verizon and check out the Bionic myself.

markwebb

Reaction score
My NE2 is due for renewal Thanksgiving weekend. Since the reviews of the Bionic are solid but not stellar (maybe too much hype?), I am going to wait and see what other choices emerge and may even wait until early 2012 - if my OG Droid holds out which I think it will.