Bionic Reviews decent or wait till Prime?

Import roller

Reaction score
my only thought is, you can wait if that is what you want. But seeing how technology is in today's world. As soon as the "next big thing" drops, there will be news of something better coming in a few months, so then you will be asking should you wait for that one instead. Just pick one, and enjoy it or you will never get one because something new is always coming.

cp24eva

Reaction score
Just get it and if you dont care to keep it then sell it off to someone else and buy the next big thing. I mean you might lose a lil bit of money, but you'll rest easy knowing you have the greatest thing at that point in time. If that really means that much to you. I mean both phone seem NEAR future proof.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I did the get it now thing when quad core PC's were coming out. I went with dual core. It did everything I needed. Now that quad core seem to put out less heat...I will finally get my first quad core PC sometime this or next year.

I understand all about waiting, whats 1 more month, right? Waiting just means another nice phone to choose from too. But....at some point you better make a decision and stick with it. Cuz I can guarantee that between now and the beginning of next year....there will be at least 1 upcoming, rumored phone thread popping up. Or more info about a rumored phone right now. I am interested in the Droid HD. But in the mean time I will enjoy the Bionic.

Actually...the way my money is right now...buy the time I can actually get a new phone...other phones may be already out...lol

cp24eva

Reaction score
Technology is a helluva drug!
dancedroid:reddroid::greendroid::motdroidhoriz:dancedroid:reddroid::greendroid::motdroidhoriz:dancedroid

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
technology is a helluva drug!
Dancedroid:reddroid::greendroid::motdroidhoriz:dancedroid:reddroid::greendroid::motdroidhoriz:dancedroid

Nevermind.

Last edited:

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Buying the costco bundle, then hoping to sell the package back off with only taking a minimal hit on retail prime.

Does Costco require you to keep the phone active for six months? Remember, places that do that will hit you with an ETF.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Gremlin

Reaction score
Costco policy is 90 days and i think the phone has to be on..

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Costco policy is 90 days and i think the phone has to be on..

That's good. Some of these places want it on the line it was purchased with for 6 months. If it gets deactivated on that line you gotta pay this $200-$300 ETF.

Bitterbeard

Reaction score
The bionic is a nice device, deserves the attention it has mustered, but Motorola is apt at keeping it locked down tighter than a nations gold repository (hence the forthcoming root exploit fix). #notwinningmymoney

I need something with upgradeable kernels....the bionic does not fit the bill.

Bring on the aptly named prime.

That's my dilemma. I'm using a Samsung Fascinate and the Bing lock down plus the other bloatware made me go to an opensource kernel and I never had an issue.

With Motorola phones, their bloatware and locked in shenanigans to Bing usually are not there but them locking down the phone so you cannot root it, that is almost as bad as what Samsung does.

In the grand scheme of things I don't think an extra 200mhz is going to matter all that much with the processors, they both will have 1gig of RAM(rumor with the Prime atm) and the screen resolution is not that big of a deal to me. Once they utilize dual cores with the software which I assume will be ICS at this point, any of these new phones will be fantastic.

Like a lot of people I'm on the fence, both phone choices or a buy and wait choice right now, have their solid pros and cons. I plan on using an old Droid1 phone as a trade in with Verizon to get an extra 100 bucks off and that ends this month, so I could be looking at a 150 upgrade to a Bionic today since I also have a 50 dollar upgrade too, not a bad deal. My biggest con is the cat and mouse game with rooting the Bionic. Once I root my phone now while I can still do it, if I allow a software update it gets rid of that access I have and puts me back to stock. Am I understanding that correctly?

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
The locked boot loader is a game changer for many for sure. The D1 's boot loader was unlocked which allowed many to stick with the D1 and keep it somewhat current via OC Kernals. It's Technology and it's always changing. It's just real nice to have some wiggle room to try and keep the phone current for as long as possible. How many still have D1's that were over clocked that are nearly as fast as Today's phones!? I call foul on Moto.... it's a conspiracy I tell you. :laugh: planned obsolescence.... They want your phone to fail so you need to buy another one.

diggy488

Reaction score
The locked boot loader is a game changer for many for sure. The D1 's boot loader was unlocked which allowed many to stick with the D1 and keep it somewhat current via OC Kernals. It's Technology and it's always changing. It's just real nice to have some wiggle room to try and keep the phone current for as long as possible. How many still have D1's that were over clocked that are nearly as fast as Today's phones!? I call foul on Moto.... it's a conspiracy I tell you. :laugh: planned obsolescence.... They want your phone to fail so you need to buy another one.

I still have the D1 running Project Elite (2.3.4). While it's not as snappy as the latest phones, it is fast and stable enough for me to hold off on a new phone for several more months. Hoping the Prime fits the bill!

Duhh001

Reaction score
To those waiting on the Prime, hopefully you won't have to wait an extra 6 months with multiple release dates. My Droid 1 won't let me wait anymore.

Bitterbeard

Reaction score
I've barely used my Bionic for a few hours now and going from a Fascinate which is still fast, the improvements are amazing. Stupidly I did not know I could go to an LTE unlimited data plan and be grandfathered in, I will not be giving that up anytime now.

The LTE speeds are pretty incredible for a phone, I just can't stop giggling right now.

Off to do a quick root before an update ruins the fun!

For those that are on the fence about the Bionic I doubt you will be disappoint.

Again, I really do not see an extra 200Mhz making that huge of an improvement, plus with all that I've gotten off I ended up paying 150 for the phone, cannot beat that deal. Selling my Fascinate for 150 as well, just made this too tempting to pass up.

In the store today, crammed into my little counter space at Verizon there was a man and a wife next to me buying the laptop dock for their Bionics. I just don't get why people buy those things and everybody was getting them.

bigdad63

Reaction score
got some hands on time today. It is fast, the blur isn't too bad at all (of course it can be changed). GPS locked in very quickly. I didn't get it because of the screen. I'm one of "those" people who see the graniness in comparison to other types of screens. It is very bright though. It also felt very good in the hand. It just looks and feels classy. If the screen isn't an issue, go for it.

poooookah78

Reaction score
got some hands on time today. It is fast, the blur isn't too bad at all (of course it can be changed). GPS locked in very quickly. I didn't get it because of the screen. I'm one of "those" people who see the graniness in comparison to other types of screens. It is very bright though. It also felt very good in the hand. It just looks and feels classy. If the screen isn't an issue, go for it.

Same here. I went to VZW today and played with one for 15 seconds and instantly saw the graininess of the screen. Even compared to my OG droid you could see NOTICABLE graininess. :( Holding off for the prime since the SGS2 broke my heart and wont be coming to VZW.