Bionic Reviews decent or wait till Prime?

markwebb

Reaction score
Could be quality issues, or just each of us will see different. Maybe having the screen brightness lower helps, who knows.

So true, but then I played with all of the brightness settings and the screen displayed properly. I think the VZW employees thought I was a psycho as I kept testing it, moving it, peering/gaping at it up close, at angles,etc. I consider myself having a fine eye and ear (let's face it, MP3 audio format is inferior- but that ongoing argument is for another thread) and I truly did not find the Bionic's screen poor or unviewable. Go figure.

Last edited:

Caesarg

Reaction score
Luvin It!

Bought the phone day one at Costco. Luvin it so far. Coming from the Og DROID (From day one as well), the speed is amazing. I have used the camera and thought it was ok. I used the camcorder today at my granddaughters soccer game and the video was pretty amazing. Plus got the package from Costco (spare battery, charger, desk mount, car mount, car charger, case, and screen protectors).

Ok so on to the thing that I have heard the most about - the screen. I have to say that I do not see what all complaints about the screen are. Now to each his/her own and some may disagree as they have every right to but if you are debating getting the phone, you really need to check it out yourself. I have compared it side by side with my OG and I think it is a much better screen. I have also used a magnifying glass to see these "pixels/jagged edges" everyone is talking about and the results of which are I can't see anything like it and this was with a large magnifying glass. Again may just be me but I also think that for some people they will just never like pentile screens. It is Super Amoled or bust.

Again all of this is jmho and others may or probably will disagree but I would bet the average consumer would not be able to tell the difference.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
So true, but then I played with all of the brightness settings and the screen displayed properly. I think the VZW employees thought I was a psycho as I kept testing it, moving it, peering/gaping at it up close, at angles,etc. I consider myself having a fine eye and ear (let's face it, MP3 audio is inferior- but that ongoing argument is for another thread) and I truly did not find the Bionic's screen poor or unviewable. Go figure.

Thats weird, I seem to get better quality than I had before. Maybe it's just the way the phone interacts with a said specific blue tooth headset. If your talking regular speakers, I can't say on that yet, haven't played music through them yet.

markwebb

Reaction score
Thats weird, I seem to get better quality than I had before. Maybe it's just the way the phone interacts with a said specific blue tooth headset. If your talking regular speakers, I can't say on that yet, haven't played music through them yet.

Sorry, I was speaking "philosophically" about the nature of the MP3 "format" and not the actual sound quality generated by the Bionic. :)

Import roller

Reaction score
so, far I only have two complaints about this phone. I mentioned prior about the video camera focusing at night. And now I'm noticing the volume sucks compared to my D1. I had the alarm set to wake me up for work at full volume, and it's only about 3/5s as loud as my D1, and I almost didn't hear the alarm.

scampcat

Reaction score
From a business standpoint, here's my theory of what's going on with the Droid Bionic:

It was suggested to release back at the beginning of the year, but had issues with hardware (4G) so it was put back to development. I applaud that. No one wants antenna-gate or another Nexus issue. That being said, they're out of time to get this out. The new phones are ready to release from competitor companies that will outshine the Bionic both in software and hardware. While the Bionic will be able to compete on a hardware level, Motorola has shown an inability to provide timely updates, especially when it comes to a complete OS upgrade.

So my guess is that they ran out of time for this device to have its moment in the sun and couldn't release it AFTER the Ice Cream Sandwich devices released, so they had no other choice than to put it out at the last possible moment while still attempting to recover the excessive development time cost of the device. The choice was to either get it out now, or don't put it out at all. But with investments, it's a poor idea to develop and then re-develop a product and then cancel it because better competition is coming. They have to make something back on it.

I'm going to hold off for the Primes. Even if they are as much as two or three months out, imagine how much longer you're going to wait for Ice Cream Sandwich on the Bionic. March? April? Who knows. All the while eating crow for having jumped the gun. And while you may say that newer and better phones are always on the horizon, the ICS OS already has a release date. And we know they don't release an OS without a device. That would be pretty silly.

The Bionic is not a bad phone. But this was its last chance for sales. That should probably be an indicator on buying or not buying. At least it is for me. We don't even know if all the issues were fixed. They just had no time left to release it, so here it is.

redwood

Reaction score
You make some good points.

However since I was due an upgrade back in July and my OG droid was going schizophrenic on me every day, I had to pull the trigger. It's *currently* IMO the best device VZW has to offer, and frankly now that my apps are loaded and my files transferred it's a huge upgrade - does all I need it to and more. Sure I could've activated an old phone and waited, but I really didn't want to spend any more time on waiting for/choosing a phone.

Which brings up another point - I was waiting originally for the Galaxy Sii to hit VZW, and we all know how that worked out. So it was simply time and all hype and justifying of my purchase aside, it's a great device.

From a business standpoint, here's my theory of what's going on with the Droid Bionic:

It was suggested to release back at the beginning of the year, but had issues with hardware (4G) so it was put back to development. I applaud that. No one wants antenna-gate or another Nexus issue. That being said, they're out of time to get this out. The new phones are ready to release from competitor companies that will outshine the Bionic both in software and hardware. While the Bionic will be able to compete on a hardware level, Motorola has shown an inability to provide timely updates, especially when it comes to a complete OS upgrade.

So my guess is that they ran out of time for this device to have its moment in the sun and couldn't release it AFTER the Ice Cream Sandwich devices released, so they had no other choice than to put it out at the last possible moment while still attempting to recover the excessive development time cost of the device. The choice was to either get it out now, or don't put it out at all. But with investments, it's a poor idea to develop and then re-develop a product and then cancel it because better competition is coming. They have to make something back on it.

I'm going to hold off for the Primes. Even if they are as much as two or three months out, imagine how much longer you're going to wait for Ice Cream Sandwich on the Bionic. March? April? Who knows. All the while eating crow for having jumped the gun. And while you may say that newer and better phones are always on the horizon, the ICS OS already has a release date. And we know they don't release an OS without a device. That would be pretty silly.

The Bionic is not a bad phone. But this was its last chance for sales. That should probably be an indicator on buying or not buying. At least it is for me. We don't even know if all the issues were fixed. They just had no time left to release it, so here it is.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

And what happens if the prime is delayed, and there you are at this time next year when the prime is released? Saying, well it was supposed to be released last year... I'm not saying that's going to be the case, I hope it comes out soon and you are as happy with it as most of us are with the bionic. But you skipped something, you said the bionic was supposed to come out earlier in the year, which is true, and now all the new devices are coming out with the new hardware. What makes you think Motorola didn't wait this long so they COULD have the latest hardware and be competitive with the devices coming up. Right now I'm watching sling in HD on the Bionic and it is crystal clear, superb colors... every single phone that has ever come out and probably every phone that does come out, someone is going to have an issue with. Nothing is perfect.. alls we can hope for is that what we get is what meets our needs. Bionic did it for me.

In 2 years we are all going to be sitting here arguing about the new phones then, but for now... I hope everyone gets the phone that they feel is the best for them and are happy with. Its as simple as that..

Last edited:

b-jammin21

Reaction score
P3Droid just tweeted last night that the Prime will be coming to Verizon as a bloat-free, pure Nexus device. Let's hope this is true...

b-jammin21

Reaction score
It's speculation.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Well if it was speculation i would hope he'd put those keywords "I think" in there. It's pretty bold to say that you know something about a certain thing and then it turns out you were just only guessing or making something up that wasn't even true. I'm sure he had some sort of leaked information about it or else he wouldn't even write it. Unless you know something for certain that we don't (maybe you're just speculating that his comment was speculation lol)...

Not to mention, the list of apps for the Nexus Prime were leaked via Droid Life 2 days later (today), showing a pure Google experience...

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Well if it was speculation i would hope he'd put those keywords "I think" in there. It's pretty bold to say that you know something about a certain thing and then it turns out you were just only guessing or making something up that wasn't even true. I'm sure he had some sort of leaked information about it or else he wouldn't even write it. Unless you know something for certain that we don't (maybe you're just speculating that his comment was speculation lol)...

Not to mention, the list of apps for the Nexus Prime were leaked via Droid Life 2 days later (today), showing a pure Google experience...

I do hope it's true, he does not know for certain as no one but sammy does.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk