Bionic rear camera not working after going through the wash

vdub6273

Reaction score
My three week old Droid Bionic went through a wash, rinse, and spin cycle the other day. Fortunately, it was powered down before getting wet. I took it apart and used a vacuum to suck out as much water as possible. I then covered it in rice for about 30 hours. It powered up just fine and everything but the camera seems to be working just fine. The camera, camcorder, and flashlight apps all seem to be having issues. The camera says it can't initiate and I have to force it closed. I know I can buy a new camera, but I want to see if there is any input on troubleshooting this problem first.

It looks like a shield has to be removed prior to the camera replacement. Any pointers on the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Shaun

dfcfu342

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like the board shorted somewhere and honestly we can't really troubleshoot until you open it up and take a look! It's not a software problem its hardware damage and so there's not much troubleshooting other than digging in to it.

Be very careful not to damage anything else while you're in there as you're forfeiting any warranty help from Moto so if you hurt anything else you're jumping from a plane without a backup chute.

OP
V

vdub6273

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. I realize the risk, so I am being extremely careful when opening it up. I already removed the screen to dry it out and then put it back together with no problems. I figured I would just replace the camera, but there is a shield that prevents me from disconnecting the ribbon cable. Any advice on how to safely remove the mentioned shield?