Bionic questions...

rjsurfer

Reaction score
I'm due for the 2 year discount next month on a new phone and the Bionic seems to be the way to go for me.

I don't want a physical keyboard and they have 4g in my area, so it's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

The one question I have, will I be able to tether unlimited (5gig) like I can do with my Droid 1?

And I'm sort of concerned about the screen also, will it be easier to read in sunlight? I don't care about overall indoor quality...

Looking forward to get it next month, hopefully.

Thanks guys

Ron W.

sk102704

Reaction score
As far as the unlimited tethering, Verizon will make you pay $30 extra a month for 4g tethering.

The opinions on the screen seem to be mixed. Most people and reviews say the screen is a non issue but you'll see a few drama queens refer to it as horrible. From what I've read and seen it looks like a good screen with the added benefit of better battery life. I am and would suggest you take a look at an X2 before buying the Bionic to decide for yourself.

For me personally the Bionic is looking like my next phone. Good luck!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

GeLopez

Reaction score
i think what the op wanted was a different answer than post#2

if the bionic gets rooted (and it will) you WILL be able to tether just like your rooted D1.

parker34

Reaction score
Also if it is the same Pentile screen as the X2 and Atrix, I have heard from some that it is great, if not the best screen in direct sunlight.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not gonna hold my breath on the Bionic being released in the near future...

sent from my ApeX

DoctorV

Reaction score
I'm due for the 2 year discount next month on a new phone and the Bionic seems to be the way to go for me.

I don't want a physical keyboard and they have 4g in my area, so it's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

The one question I have, will I be able to tether unlimited (5gig) like I can do with my Droid 1?

And I'm sort of concerned about the screen also, will it be easier to read in sunlight? I don't care about overall indoor quality...

Thanks guys

Ron W.

From what I've read from multiple people in multiple places the QHD Pentile screen on the Droid X2 works better than most screens in direct sunlight. It's one of the strong features of the screen. That said nobody knows for certain that the Bionic will be using the same screen because it hasn't officially been announced from Motorola but from what I've read it looks like it will be.

sk102704

Reaction score
i think what the op wanted was a different answer than post#2

if the bionic gets rooted (and it will) you WILL be able to tether just like your rooted D1.

How do you figure? I must have missed the part of the post where he asked "will the Bionic get rooted and if so can I do unlimited tethering?"

I only answered the question he was asking

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
R

rjsurfer

Reaction score
OP here, that's good info on the screen....better outside viewing is important to me, of course I would check it out at the store before making a decision.

As far as rooting I would rather not, on my Droid 1 I use a PDANet to tether.

But, if Verizon will charge for tethering I guess I would have to use their application and PDANet wouldn't work?

Ron W.

Java

Reaction score

I am also in the same market as you. I just started a month-to-month on my cousin's old Droid 2 (broken, but turns on) to grandfather myself into unlimited. I'm still using an LG Dare dumbphone, but have kept up to date on smartphone funzies over the last year I've had my NE2 available. You should be set for unlimited when you sign your new contract as well if you have an unlimited smartphone plan already (this is important for tethering). dancedroid

Just found out, thanks to you mentioning this, my city gets 4G by the end of the year! :icon_ banana:

You will not get unlimited tethering (legally) with the stock phone. It will be locked, but it should be unlocked rather shortly if it hasn't been encrypted too badly. Once the phone has been unlocked and we can root it (like the Incredible 2 was just unlocked), unlimited tethering should be available just like it was with the Droid 1. dancedroid

Although the screen appearance has taken a lot of criticism, it is by far the best screen available for outdoor (sunlight) conditions. The PenTile display does a great job with its RGBW display, although you can see some pixelation in the screen, but it's minimal and hardly noticeable if you don't :icon_eek: the screen, which would be rather tough to do for long considering it's extremely bright. Another note is that the PenTile displays are beautifully bright even at low brightness percents, and they also conserve a lot of battery life. :icon_ banana:

Don't worry, I'm right there with ya buddy boy :)

Thanks guys

You're welcome.

Ron W. huh? I know soooo many teenage girls that want in your pants after watching your movies...

DoctorV

Reaction score
OP here, that's good info on the screen....better outside viewing is important to me, of course I would check it out at the store before making a decision.

As far as rooting I would rather not, on my Droid 1 I use a PDANet to tether.

But, if Verizon will charge for tethering I guess I would have to use their application and PDANet wouldn't work?

Ron W.

The Droid 3 uses a pentile display. Here is a whole thread of actual users opinions on it:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-3/158556-droid-3-screen.html

spider210

Reaction score
the droid 3 screen is really nice been playing with a demo unit for almost a week now.

not sure who has complaints of it they must just like the fakeness that comes with a samsung phone or they must be. i mean come on look at all the people who jumped on the fascinate bandwaggin cause the screen 'looked' so nice... i see people going back to env touches cause they can't stand that phone :)

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
the droid 3 screen is really nice been playing with a demo unit for almost a week now.

not sure who has complaints of it they must just like the fakeness that comes with a samsung phone or they must be. i mean come on look at all the people who jumped on the fascinate bandwaggin cause the screen 'looked' so nice... i see people going back to env touches cause they can't stand that phone :)

In your opinion how does the D3 compare to the DX2 Screen wise?